Cat shows? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013, 04:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Default Cat shows?

I am thinking about entering Cheddar Biscuit and possibly Bonnie in a cat show that is in my area in March in the household pet category. It looks like they both meet the requirements, I was just wondering what they judge for in a household pet?
jadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013, 05:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Here's some information about entering a catshow.Ready, Set, Show

In HHP class they judge on condition of the cat (weight and muscle development), coat (condition, cleanliness, color and markings), personality. An outgoing laid-back cat with an even temperament that enjoys being handled and will play with the judge's toys is a ++. The cat really shows itself, while its owner sits/stands in the "audience" area. It's not like a dog show where the owner is at the end of the leash. If a cat is nasty, the judge will call the owner to take the cat out of the judge's cage and put it on the judging table while you stay there during it's examination. It's good preparation for the cat a couple of weeks prior to the show, to put it through a daily "judging" routine and handle it as a judge would so that it is used to it, and then it won't feel unusual when it's at the show. Also include in your practice routine, play with a teaser toy, and when finished give the cat some treats. You can find videos of household pets being judged on YouTube. Here's one:

"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
catloverami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Here's another link on showing.

Ready, Set, Show

Old 02-10-2013, 06:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Thank you, I am definitely going to enter them.
jadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Oh you definitely should enter them. I was thinking earlier, when I saw one of your posts , what pretty cats you have.
The TICA site has info on showing Household Pets too
When you enter, ask to be benched next to someone who would be willing to help a new HHP exhibitor out.

Good luck!

Last edited by marie73; 07-06-2013 at 12:30 AM.
maewkaew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I wish I had known about cat shows for HHPs before. I think our Lucky would have done quite well. Here's a picture of our sweet boy:

Lucky at 6 months

Lucky at roughly about age 4 or 5 (He's 7 going on 8 now):

Full body shot of Lucky:
Old 02-16-2013, 06:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Default Cat shows?

I showed Yuki once when she was 9 months old. She was in the 'alter' category which is for spayed or neutered purebreds. It was fun for me but she spent the whole day growling at the cat across from her lol. I think she got tired from all the attention too. She's a snow Bengal so lots of people wanted to see her. Judging rules for bengals are instant disqualification for any challenge (aggression) towards the judge. Lol I kept my fingers crossed that she'd be nice and she was!
Cat shows are interesting. I'm sure you'll have fun if you decide to do it
Oh one tip! If your kitty wears a collar, take it off so as to let the fur recover ASAP. They don't wear collars while being shown, they go 'naked' to the show ring lol!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Last edited by Yuki'sMum; 02-16-2013 at 06:15 AM.
Yuki'sMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cat

Default Cat shows?

Just curious, does the judge look at movement at all? I show Danes and movement is a big part and indicator of over all conformation. What if a cat looked great while stationary but actually walked with a limp or had a hitch in the gait?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
kayla baxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Many moons ago when I got into breeding and showing Manx, there was a cat that did achieve it's grand championship, but did limp badly and couldn't walk normally. Other Manx breeders at the show were horrified that an obviously crippled cat got it's GC, and managed to get the Manx Show Standard changed that required the Manx to demonstrate soundness by walking on the judge's table. I'm not sure whether this is still part of the standard as I'm not able to access the CFA Manx standard at the moment. It was the only breed at that time that had to do that, which for a nervous or shy Manx was problematic as any shy/nervous cat won't stand and will just crouch on the judge's table. Some judge's got around this by placing the cat near the door of the judge's cage so that it had to walk into it's cage. But this ruling did eliminate from shows any Manx that had gait problems, and/or had a shy or nervous temperament.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I checked the CFA Manx Standard and one of the reasons the judge must Disqualify is "evidence of weakness in the hindquarters". This has replaced the old "stand and walk" clause.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement