What to expect with new cat in Heat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2013, 12:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default What to expect with new cat in Heat

My new kitten has gone into heat. Other than the obvious (odd meowing sound and "presenting" herself), what else (such as possible mess) can I expect. The female cat I had growing up was an outdoor cat and I never saw her go through heat.
HooKooDooKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2013, 12:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cat

Don't plan on getting a good night's sleep for quite a while. Make an appointment quick. She can go into and out of heat every few days. Unless you plan to have kittens, please get her spayed soon for your own health's sake.
Catmamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catmamma View Post
Don't plan on getting a good night's sleep for quite a while. Make an appointment quick. She can go into and out of heat every few days. Unless you plan to have kittens, please get her spayed soon for your own health's sake.
I would say please get her spayed soon for your own sanity's sake!! That yowling for love will drive you nuts!!
Old 02-11-2013, 09:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Expect her to try and run out the door or break through window screens. She has the urge to mate and will do anything she can to make that happen.

Please make an appointment for her to get spayed as soon as the heat cycle is over. Call the vet now and schedule it, they can probably estimate a good date by when she went into heat. This is for her good (reduce risk of certain cancers, eliminate the urge to get out and all the dangers associated with that, eliminate the risks of pregnancy) and to insure that you don't contribute cat overpopulation problems.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Default What to expect with new cat in Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
My new kitten has gone into heat. Other than the obvious (odd meowing sound and "presenting" herself), what else (such as possible mess) can I expect. The female cat I had growing up was an outdoor cat and I never saw her go through heat.
You ask the question like it's an expected part of being a pet owner. For most of us, it is not. Is there a reason she isn't spayed already?

Like most have recommended, you should get her spayed as soon as possible.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
rightsaidfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

She's going to get spayed

Keep in mind this is a kitten we got only 3 weeks ago, at which time she was estimated (by the vet) to only be 3 months old. I brought up the subject of getting her spayed up during her 1st vet visit 2 days after we got her. To the best of my recollection, the vet recommended bringing her in to get fixed when she's around 5 months old (they certainly didn't push trying to get her spayed sooner).

So to the best of our knowledge, this kitten has gone into heat for the 1st time at only 4 months old.

We already have a vet visit planned for this week to get her 2nd round of shots, so we already planned to discuss the subject of scheduling to get her fixed.

In the mean time, I was just trying to determine what else we needed to expect. I though I knew cats because we had a cat when I was growing up. That cat had something like 3 litters before my mom finally decided is was better to spend the money to get her fixed than try to find homes for another litter. But because she was an outdoor cat, I never saw this sort of behavior. So I'm finding that I know less about cats than I thought.
HooKooDooKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

OK...good. Also, sometimes females in heat will mark territory...urine or poop. Though, given that she's so young she probably won't be as crazed as an older cat.

BTW, as you've probably already figured out, spaying is a very sensitive subject around here. Giving us the background in the first post would have avoided the onslaught

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Glad to hear you want to get her spayed. Doodlebug is right, she's going to be determined to find a way to get out and get ....serviced. Watch her carefully (an accidental pregnancy at her young age would be dangerous for her).

Also, unlike dogs or horses or other animals it's not a set time with cats. She can go out of heat and come RIGHT back in again (she may not of course, but then again... she might).

No mess like a dog or a person though. Just desperation, discomfort, and upset on her part.

& Krissy - Janitor, KitterKat Club Enterprises
MowMow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowMow View Post
Also, unlike dogs or horses or other animals it's not a set time with cats. She can go out of heat and come RIGHT back in again (she may not of course, but then again... she might).
Yeah, this is very important to remember.

Unlike humans, cats do not have ovulation based non-fertile times in their heat cycles. Ovulation is actually induced by the mating itself, so any time your cat is in contact with an unaltered male she may become pregnant even if her heat appears to be over. Please do keep a careful eye on her until she is spayed, not just until she's back to normal again.

The Boys: Maisie (age 9, adopted 2007,) Zephyr (age 8, adopted 2006,)
Bentley
(age 3, adopted 2013,) and foster kitty Cullen
Blakeney Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Territory marking is normal (they are likely to choose a certain texture for this). They may show sexual interest in parts of your body (feet are popular) or even inanimate objects (handbags have loomed large). You will also notice a slightly different smell on their urine - stronger and more musky. You may also get un-neutered toms around your external doors - weeing on them!!! It takes some washing off!

I want to echo the others - please get her seen to unless you intend to breed!!! Neutering also tends to lengthen their lives.
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement