Deworming a pregnant cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2003, 06:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Sol
Cat Addict

Default Deworming a pregnant cat

Yeah, I know I should know this... A pregnant cat should be dewormed during the pregnancy and my question is when? Is it one week before giving birth? I have a good but short memory
Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2003, 05:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I don't think they can once they are pregnant but they should be before you even breed them because all the babies will have worms and then you got to treat them all. You actually need to treat them anyway but I heard it's harder to get rid of the worms therefore treatment may be more extensive. Consult your vet about the whole pregnant deworming issue.
Old 06-12-2003, 03:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Sol
Cat Addict

I´ve been recomended to deworm about two weeks before the cat gives birth (with a special solution). The kittens has to be dewormed anyway after three weeks and once before delivering them according to the swedish cat association.
Old 06-12-2003, 04:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tom Cat

What is the solution?
Old 06-14-2003, 11:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
Sol
Cat Addict

It´s called Banminth.
Old 06-14-2003, 04:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tom Cat

My vet said it is not necessary to deworm the queen during pregnancy. You should have checked before pregnancy if she had worms. Since we did my vet said not needed and all kittens need to be dewormed whether or not they have worms anyway so there is really no reason to do that anyway for our cats.
Old 06-15-2003, 08:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
Sol
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalsownme
My vet said it is not necessary to deworm the queen during pregnancy. You should have checked before pregnancy if she had worms. Since we did my vet said not needed and all kittens need to be dewormed whether or not they have worms anyway so there is really no reason to do that anyway for our cats.
Of course my queen was dewormed before she got pregnant. She was dewormed before she met the male but swedish veterinarians and breeders recomend that pregnant queens should be dewormed once during the pregnancy and of course the kittens when they´ve been borned.

The reason why it´s recomended that pregnant cats get dewormed is that IF she should get worms when being pregnant the worms will take a lot of the nutrition that is ment for the kittens, which means weak kittens.

Anyway, Banminth is as harmless as a dewormingsolution can get and it doesn´t cause any damage on the queen or the kittens.
Old 06-15-2003, 02:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tom Cat

That's cool. I will bring that up to my vet. It's just hard to understand why she would just get worms if she was already dewormed and the male was too and she is an indoor cat. I just don't like to give medicine when it's not necessary. Can you explain more about that? Thanks Sol!
Old 06-15-2003, 02:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Sol
Cat Addict

I don´t like to give my cats medicine if it´s not necessary. I only deworm my cats (the fully grown) when they show symptoms of it except from when it comes to pregnant and lactating queens. When it comes to deworming the procedure should be repeated after 2-3 weeks according to the manufacturer which means when the cat is pregnant. And a cat doesn´t have to live outdoors do get worm. Do you know how much filth WE bring in? We don´t wanna know where our shoes have been...

Anyway, according to vets and experienced breeders this solution Banminth is harmless to kittens. I´m following the recomendations of swedish vets and breeders.
Old 06-15-2003, 03:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Yuck I don't even want to thing what my shoes have encountered! hehehe
Well thats all interesting I will have to bring it up to my vet. I understand most people wouldn't want to give medicine if they don't have to. But my cats are strictly indoors and they don't get worms. I know mosquitos can give heart worms but even deworming wouldn't get rid of that. Its just hard for me to understand but Iwill talk to my vet about it and maybe she can break it down for me! hehehe
Do you have revolution by you? Have you tried it on your cats?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement