Brother and sister mating - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2004, 01:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Brother and sister mating

I'm just courious to learn more about what would happen should a brother and sister from the same litter mate. I'm sure this happens a lot but I've never known just how the kittens would turn out. Would they be born with physical or mental defects?? Would some or all turn out "normal"??

Dutchman
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2004, 01:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

breeding from the same gene line can cause 2 things mainly.
Something really good in the cats to come out even more. instead of 1 lot of goodness from one side and another gene entering you have 2x the good gene.

The bad part- If there are any problems with the cat, say hereditary heart disease then it is 2x as worse because the gene is doubled up.

Moved to breeding

Me on Last.fm
Zalensia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 02:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Sol
Cat Addict

If the brother/sister-mating is the only inbreeding, it's not likely anything special wil happen at all, but there's always a risk involved when inbreeding- Inbreeding doubles the genes, the bad ones and the good ones. If the cats are healthy and there are no known hereditary diseases or defects behind them a brother/sister-mating PROBABLY won't do anything bad, bt I would never recommend breeding a cat with a relative closer than a cousin (cousins are to close if you ask me).

It's also important to remember not to inbreed inbred cats An exampl:

My bredding queen will be mated to a stud who's parents are siblings (they have the same father, but different mothers). The males inbreeding coefficient is 12,5 % and that's very high. If you breed a male with his daughter the offspring will get an inbreeding coefficient of 25 %.

However my female and the inbred male aren't related, at all so their offspring will have an inbreeding coefficient of 0 %. This, outbreeding, is crucial to keep the breed healthy. You can't go on inbreeding on and on and on, because finally the breed will go into an inbreeding depression meaning physically smaller cats, numerous smaller litters and lower birth weights on the kittens and diseases and/or defects will start to pop up.

Therefor, no inbreeding is a good thumb rule
Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 01:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Yes, you get the worst of the worst qualities and the best of the best. Not a good idea at all. You might produce a beautiful (on the outside) example of a breed with the worst genetic health faults. That would be a tragedy.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Jeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 05:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Sam
Tom Cat

We've never done a brother/sister mating, they're not good. Neither are mother/son.

What two kinds of cats did you breed?

I can't thank you enough forjazz!
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 06:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Sol
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
We've never done a brother/sister mating, they're not good. Neither are mother/son.

What two kinds of cats did you breed?
I'm not sure who you're reffering to. Dutchman have not made such a combination so maybe you're reffering to my answer since I mentioned that my queen will be mated with a male who's parents are siblings. This is not a male bred by me. I would never make such a combination. I don't inbreed at all in my breeding program. The male I will mate my queen with is not my own. He belongs to another breeder I know (he's not bred by her either, she bought him to use in her breeding program).

I have no problem using him in my breeding program though since he's healthy and so are his parents, and grandparents and so on. And like I said, the male and my female are not even remotely related to each other so the offspring won't be inbred at all.
Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 06:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Sam
Tom Cat

Hey Sol- I was reffering to Dutchman. I know you have Devons.

I can't thank you enough forjazz!
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement