Unique stories: how you decided your cats name. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2009, 10:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat

Default Unique stories: how you decided your cats name.

I thought i would see if anyone else has any unique/funny stories about how the chose thier cats (or other pets) name(s)

i think mine is unique and funny.....well, it amuses me when i think about it
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
A couple of years ago, i had a dream. I was in my childhood home. I had a grey puppy. He was laying on his back and i was scratching his belly. He morphed into a silvery grey kitty right before my eyes. His pupils got huge and he laid back ears and started attacking my hands as i rubbed his belly. I giggled and left him to himself. A few minutes later my wife walks up to me, and her face is horribly swollen and red, and covered in bumps (she is VERY allergic to cats in real life)...i aksed her what happened, and she says with a huge grin "i was playing with Mr. Higgins, hes sooo cute!"......then i woke up. I have wanted a silver cat named Mr Higgins ever since. (as in Henry Higgins, from the old movie "My Fair Lady". i have no idea why this name was in my mind, i havent seen thet move since i was VERY young.)

Yesterday my wife and I adopted a 4 month old russian blue kitten. i have a Mr Higgins now!!!!

Old 07-26-2009, 11:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Re: Unique stories: how you decided your cats name.

My tabby was given to us 10years ago now, the vet told us it was a boy so we abrutly called him Salem as my mother had always wanted a cat called this. It wasn't until we took the cat into get neutered that the vet (a new one funnily enough) turned around and told us she was a girl. After we got her home we took hours to come with a new name. My mother was convinced that a girl cat couldn't be called Salem.

After awhile we decided that the name "Sassy" would fit her perfectly as is suits her personality to a T.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Mostly we just keep the names our cats had when they came to us. Scottie, though, was found in the lumberyard where I worked at about two weeks old so we got to name him. He was found the same week that James Doohan from Star Trek passed away so he is named Scottie in honor of him.
"Beam me up Scotty!"

Old 07-27-2009, 12:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

This isn't a story about a cat, but I though it was a pretty strange naming story.
I found a western painted turtle in the woods near my cabin in wisconsin, and instantly wanted to take him home. My dad told me that if I though of a name for this turtle that he thought was cool, I could keep it.
The next day, we went to a northwoods zoo, which features animals in the north woods, and I saw a giant pond/tub with a bunch of other western painted turtles and a few common snappers.
As soon as I laid eyes on the one of the western painteds and he looked me straight in the eye and we connected for that moment, the name Earl shot into my head. I asked my dad and he said that it was a very good name for a turtle. When we went back home to Illinois, I did some research and found that Earl was a girl. Too bad the name had already caught on...
So that is the story of Earl the Turtle.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat Addict

What lovely stories - especially the one about Mr Higgins!

Our puss-cats officially belong to a neighbour, but they have decided they would rather live with us. We have given one of them a new 'unofficial' name (unbeknown to Neighbour!) because she originally had a boy's name that didn't suit her. Plus since being with us they have 'acquired' the surname of Tiddler because they were both so tiddly (small) compared to our previous cat Jimmy.
They are mother and daughter so we have decided they are Mrs Margaret Tiddler and Miss Bille Tiddler. (Although we suspect Margaret may be an unmarried mother hiding behind the title of 'Mrs' )
Margaret is the one who was re-named by my Partner. He just decided she looked like a Margaret

seashell

ps- just so you know, our neighbour is happy with them spending most of their time with us. Don't want you all to think we are Cat-Nappers!
Old 07-27-2009, 07:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat

good stories! i know there are more out there! keep em comin!

funny you should mention the name "Earl"....my wife has been trying to convince me that the russian blue kitten shold be Earl Grey.....and not Mr Higgins....im awefuly attached to the "Mr Higgins" because of the dumb dream i had....BUT Earl is easier to say....thoough i would probably just end up callig him Grey, wich is what my wife is already calling him....

our first cat already has a rather generic name "Allie" for ally cat. why not give them both rather generic names? so if we name him earl...they would be Allie and Earl....wich just sounds better than Allie and Mr Higgins.

ultimatley, it dosnt matter what his name is. i will love him just the same...so why the heck does it have to be so difficult for me to decide?!?!!?

Disclamer: to any of you out there who may have a pet named Allie, or Earl, i mean no insult by saying the names are "rather generic"! I just meen they are sort of predictable, and somewhat often used pet names!
Old 07-28-2009, 01:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I think his full name is probably Mr Earl Higgins!

Its good for a cat to have a full name and title. Our previous cat became General James Pilkington - commonly known as Jimmy

seashell
Old 07-28-2009, 03:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashell
Our previous cat became General James Pilkington - commonly known as Jimmy
that is AWESOME, i love it!

its funny cause my wife was arguing to call our blue "Earl Grey" but every time she calls him, she says "Higgy" i even tried to call him Earl..but every time im looking for him, or repremanding him..."Mr higgins" just comes out...so i guess thats whats sticking!

I think your suggestion of Earl Higgins is great...i think i will take it step further and give him three names! he will be legally documented as Earl Grey Higgins. ok...well not legally, but you get what i meen.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I adopted my grey cat from the humane society, the same place where I had adopted Erasmus (he came with that name) aka Razzy. This cat had so many of the same mannerisms as Razzy. I still believe this cat is a reincernation of Razzy. I looked for a name to mean just that. Saisei is Japanese for reincarntaion or rebirth. To this day Saisei acts just like Razzy, although they look nothing alike. If Saisei ever start licking this outside of my drinks (the condensation) like Razzy did....I just might lose it, lol. Just for reference..
Saisei

Erasmus
Old 07-31-2009, 05:13 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
he will be legally documented as Earl Grey Higgins.
I think it's legal in Catworld

BTW love your story too, gwdprincess

seashell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread