I stole my neighbor's cat! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2012, 08:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default I stole my neighbor's cat!

OK, it's not as bad as it sounds....here's the story.

I moved into a new neighborhood with my Australian Shepherd and two cats; both cats are friendly and indoors but in the past have liked to spend time in the yard.

One night around 1am see this cat out front...beautiful cat and HUGE! My first thought is, "This cat will kill my cats". After half an hour I was able to coax him to come near me. Several months go by and I see the cat every night, but now he comes up my driveway and we play every night, all the while I'm trying to get a "feel" for him. Is he aggressive, will he bite me if I rub his belly? He immediately takes a liking to my dog, which is 98lbs and very big.

I get to know my neighbor that owns the cat and come to learn the cat is not allowed in their house; they leave the garage door cracked open for him to get shelter, but for the most part the cat is living in their bushes (I guess it better than being in a dark, cold dirty garage all day). Winter is coming and I'm feeling really bad for this cat, so I install a small dog door in my garage door and he immediately calls my garage his home, mainly because it's clean, has a bed and he would get a lot of attention from me. I put a water and food feeder in there for him. Every day when I come home for work he's in the garage keeping warm (I put a heater in there just for him). I would drive my car into the garage and he'd just sit on his bed and watch me park. I'd get out of the car and he'd start meowing and begging for playtime. Who am I to say no, so of course we'd play on the carpeted garage bench.

A few months later I put glass in my garage door (picture #1) so he could look into the laundry room and see my cats (although they've already been making googly eyes at each other through the front windows). I did it to let light into my laundry room, but I was smart to bring the glass down far enough so he could look in and see my cats (see picture #2.

A few weeks later I bring him in when it's 20 degrees out and of course my two cats are curious and Biggie (the name I gave him) sits on my lap and growls at the cats. I do this a few times for just 15 minutes or so and then it's back out to the garage. Finally one night I brought him in and just let him go...all three cats ran under the dinning room table and just stared at each other. I showed him the liter box and lo-n-behold he used it!! I've gone through my house many times now with a black light looking for any pee stains (I have all brand new carpet) and have not found a single "accident". Whew!

So here it is almost a year later and they're all best of friends...they chase each other around the house, sleep and eat together. My neighbor has no clue (although he's seen the cat in my driveway many times). Biggie loves living inside and when he does go out, it's just to sit in the driveway and look at his previous home thinking, "Ha ha, I have a new home with an owner that LOVES me." If he had fingers I'm sure he'd be showing them what he thinks of them now.

The funny thing is that my mailbox is down the street and he and my dog will walk with me to get the mail and then he comes right back. If I walk my dog, he comes with us. He knows his name and will come running anytime I call out "Biggie!" He follows my daughter and me to the bus stop and then comes right home, runs in the house and then I drive off to work. As for his demeanor and temperament, he's a teddy bear! I posted a video at the end to show you how silly he is.

Now some of you may think it's wrong to do what I did, but if you'd seen that cat sleeping in the bushes (rain or shine) and being COMPLETELY alone you may have done the same. I mean seriously, why have a cat if you're going to make it live outside and have ZERO interaction with him? I'm sure this 4th of July, when everyone is blowing up the neighborhood with fireworks Biggie will appreciate being inside for once. It broke my heart to think of him last year scared out of his mind...he didn't come back for several days after last years blitzkrieg in our street.

Below are some photos.

Is this video you'll see us playing...it may look rough, but it's not. I can usually just walk up behind him and say, "You wanna get beat up?" and he'll just FALL OVER and let me me tickle him.

OH, final note, yes I talk like a baby to him...I'm working on changing that (didn't realize I was doing it until I heard myself on this video...let's just say I'm glad my face is not visible!)
http://s1000.photobucket.com/albums/af129/budarooski/Bigboy/?action=viewĄt=Biggie.mp4
My Cat Rocks! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2012, 03:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Kitten

I am very happy you took Biggie in. You did the right thing and I am very, very glad you did. Every cat needs love and caring, needs someone to play with, needs to know they are loved and needs a real home. I see so many cats I wish I could take in and give the care, love and attention they need. I know Biggie loves you for all you have done for him and I know he is happy to have a real home and family.
chrisch68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

What a lovely account!
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Cat

"think what you did is wrong"??? are you kidding me? your RULE!!!!! ha ha!

i think it's awesome what you did. i can totally picture biggie flipping off your neighbor with all 4 paws! i couldn't watch your videos , but maybe it's just my computer. i can imagine how great they are.

oh, and don't even worry about talking babytalk to your kitties. don't we ALL do that? actually, i know i do and unfortunately that's why i try not to post too many videos of my kitty on youtube if i can hear myself talking too much in it. yeah, it's a bit embarrassing, but it's nice to hear someone else does it, too.

so...are you trying to figure out a way eventually to ask your neighbor if you can just "HAVE" Biggie permanently? that sure would solve any last little problems. we had a neighbor who did eventually adopt their cat from a neighbor who didn't take care of him. that cat spent lots of time at his new home and so they finally started asking around and found out the prior owner didn't care and just told them they could "have" him. that was convenient!

good luck to you. and keep up the great work! hee hee!
maggie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

I was cleaning up my Photobucket account and accidentally deleted my photos of Biggie, so here are new photos.

Old 08-22-2012, 05:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

That's horrible!!!

Except I catnapped my neighbors cat last New Years day. There was a divorce....wife and kids left....Mr neighbor wan't taking care of the cat so after Mr B spent New Years Eve sleeping in a pile of leaves in my backyard i eliminated what our local laws call a "nuisence animal" by briniging him in.

In the ned cats are free to chose their owners. Failed cat servants have no rights.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premier Cat

You are my hero!

Im sorry to say I couldnt bring up your pictures or video. But Im on my phone and out of town with no access to a desk top or iPad.

~Merry~

With my eyes, they will be seen...With my voice, they will be heard....
With my hands, they will know comfort...With my action, they will be free...
~TNR and Rescue changes lives of animals.~

When the angels are busy God sends rescuers
Mitts & Tess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitts & Tess View Post

Im sorry to say I couldnt bring up your pictures or video.
I added the pictures back to Photobucket so you will now be able to see the photos. Unfortunately I deleted the video and didn't save a copy to my PC.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Cat

got to look at the pics finally at home, but still couldn't see the video unfortunately. Biggie looks like such a sweetie pie! once again, you rock!
maggie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Kitten

I love this story, and what beautiful animals you have! You are one lucky fella and they are lucky to have a friend like you!
Sazack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement