How did you get your cat(s)? - Page 6 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2013, 06:04 PM   #51 (permalink)
Tom Cat

My parents found Casie as a kitten. She was possibly dumped by someone.

Cherry we adopted from the local cat shelter.
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013, 08:39 PM   #52 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Miss Holly Shiftwell was adopted from a local cat rescue organization. Agent Coco Chanel (the Lady Ninja) was "adopted" from a breeder (i.e. I sought out reputable breeders of Burmese cats, contacted them, got on a list, etc).

They are both awesome cats.
Pursestan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:23 PM   #53 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I like reading all these stories.

I wasn't planning on getting cats for at least a while - I had purchased a place but it was still being built and so I would have liked to have waited to have my own place and have my work slow down a bit. However, my sister was driving home one night and found 3 little kittens dumped in a bag on the side of the road. I told her I couldn't possibly take one but I wanted to come see them and I'd try to help her find them good homes. Of course, no one considered what the kittens thought in all of this. Orion firmly chose me and after a couple hours with him I knew I was keeping him. I decided he needed a friend because I sometimes work long hours and so I kept his very shy brother, Aries. The little sister found a home with my best friend and so they still visit quite often - I bring them for play dates.

In the end it would have been much cheaper to get shelter cats that were healthy and had their shots / were fixed. These guys were very young when found so my vet wanted to do 3 sets of shots and they had ear mites and parasites. Luckily they didn't have FELV / FIV. It seems like most cats chose their owners, my case is no different. I'm very, very glad they chose me - getting them earlier than I planned on getting cats meant that they became very well socialized as I often slept over at my friends places or my parents - so they are unafraid of cars, kitty carriers, new cats or strange people.

I had planned on adopting from a shelter so instead I just became a foster home.
Tiliqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:56 AM   #54 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Our one and only kitten was found by a friend of a friend, and no one could keep her. We have been fantasizing, for years, about getting a large dog, but life in apartment won't permit that. My bf saw the kitty first and he literally kept persuading me to adopt her together. It was a silly idea at that time because i had no pet before, and i don't know if i like cats. But we decided to take her in the end, and it was the best decision ever.

She is the most loving kitty ever. Even when sleeping on our bed in the middle, she would constantly shift her paws so both of us are touched by her. She also greets us when we come home by meowing and rolling on the floor. And yes, we get to rub the belly. She is such a sweetie pie.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:42 PM   #55 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Munchkin I got at the local no kill shelter. I would go there on my lunch breaks (was right down the street, who needs to eat when there are kitties to pet). Every time I would leave she would climb the screen door and cry so finally I got hubby to agree and brought her home with me.
Izzabella I got at the local pound. I had gone in there to turn in a dog that I found on the side of the road and when we were taking the dog in back I saw five cages packed with kittens. I asked why there were so many and the lady told me that one whole cage was being put down that week bc nobody was adopting cats. I went and looked (not even planning to get one) and saw Izzabella. Right away I told the lady I would take her. Didnt even have a carrier, she rode in my lap all the way to my house (30min drive lol) and when hubby got home there was a fur ball greeting him.
Stone I found online from a foster home/shelter. Saw him and fell in love. Drove two hours to pick him up in a really really bad neighborhood.
mstx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:38 AM   #56 (permalink)
Cat

shelter...I always told myself if I was ever going to get a cat again I was going to get a savannah cat and pay for it to get exactly what I wanted look wise.

After I met my girl friend 3 years ago and she wanted to get a cat she made me realize what we would actually be saving a cat from if we did it. I had never really thought about it until then. Needless to say I changed my mind immediately.
Zerafian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:20 PM   #57 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I was still in mourning for Percy when I heard through some neighbors that a family was trying to home a litter of kittens. The people agreed to deliver 'her' and when I 1st met this kitten I was in love! He was SO tiny,he could fit in a jumbo coffee cup,and he was a chatterbox. I had to go to work,but I showed him his food his water,and litterbox,snuggled with him and told him hi name. Beatrix. I thought he was a girl. I came back,and he was hiding IN my spare mattress. The next day we played til he went for his vet appointment,where I learned his true gender,named him Robin Hood,and we proceeded to become buddies!
bluemilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:23 PM   #58 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I've had tumps of cats over the years and have never bought one. I love some of the stories here including the last few!
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:59 PM   #59 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Two years ago, I was NOT a cat person, but I fell in love when my first kitten came home.

Pepper was a rescue from the streets--we thought she might have been abandoned by her mother:
Someone had said they heard meowing in the drive-thru at work, but it wasn't until that night that it was confirmed there was a kitty in the bushes. My boyfriend and I ended up running around the bushes for 20 minutes trying to catch the little one. When he finally caught her, she gave him to most adorable "are you my daddy? are you gonna save me?" look that melted our hearts. She was 2 months and only a pound of cuteness. Now she's a gorgeous, spoiled princess.

Tony was adopted from the SPCA:
We had wanted a cuddly kitten, but not a black kitten since Pepper was mostly black and we wanted some contrasting colors. After looking at a few other kittens, Tony caught my attention through the glass. I insisted that I wanted to take a look at him in the kitty playroom despite his black coat. He was super social and would go out of his way to climb up our shirts to headbutt our face over and over again. He gave us no choice but to take him home. To this day, I have no idea what made me want to see him at the shelter, but I'm glad I did.
Attached Thumbnails
How did you get your cat(s)?-img_20111012_220922.jpg  
Sillycowsgomoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement