How did you get your cat(s)? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 12:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat

Default How did you get your cat(s)?

How did you all come to own your kitties? Did you adopt them from a local animal shelter or humane society, did you get them from a private rescue organisation, did you get them from a breeder, etc.? What was your cat-acquiring experience like? If you get another cat, would you do the same thing? What would you recommend to someone else looking to get a cat?

We got our first cat, Coda, from our local animal shelter. The cat portion of our shelter has a really great program called ASAP (Animal Shelter Assistance Program) that gives them the funds they need to run a really great shelter. Although they're technically not a no-kill shelter, they haven't had to euthanise a cat for population control since the mid-90's. All cats are spayed or neutered and treated for any health problems before they're put up for adoption, and they're all also micro-chipped. It's a really great place, so that's where we went to get our first kitty. The experience was great. They have several "play rooms" with toys and places to sit where you can interact with any of their adoptable cats one-on-one. The volunteers were very nice and helpful. We fell in love with Coda instantly, our approval process was efficient, and the adoption fee is only $65, which isn't much at all when you consider the level of care all their cats receive. I tell people to adopt from them al the time. If I get another cat, the shelter will definitely be my first stop.

We got our second cat, Cal, right off the street. His owners had moved an abandoned him, and we fell in love with him, so we kept him.

What about the rest of you?
jawramik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 01:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I also adopted Autumn from a local shelter. I just fell in love with her beautiful tortie colors and striking green eyes. I did look around at the other kitties but kept going back to where Autumn was. Decided the same day that I would adopt her and a week later I brought her home. She was about 2 1/2 years old at the time.

My first cat, my beloved Misty was adopted from a foster person. She was the love of my life and I miss her terribly, even after 4 years.

If I could afford to have another kitty, I would only adopt from a shelter or foster

"Happy is the home with at least one cat" - Italian Proverb

heston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat

Clementine and Blitz were found by the dumpster at the ball field down the road when they were five weeks old. Ghost I took from someone who bought him from a "breeder" (is backyard breeder used for cats like it is for dogs?) that morning at 9 weeks old, only to have their toddler have a severe allergic reaction to him. He was going to leave him with the vet, but the vet was closed. I was leaving work next door and he asked if I knew of anyone who would take him or he'd have to leave him outside the clinic. So he came home with me. Clem and Blitz were 17 weeks at the time, so after a brief isolation and introduction they all took to each other easily and are best buddies today.
In the future, we'll either adopt from shelters or rescues or from reputable registered breeders.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
kayla baxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Cat

My first cat, Samir, I got from the humane society, a present for my old dog Cami, she was very lonely while we were gone during the day and we wanted a buddy for her. My sister and I went to see a couple of cats, he was very scared, but still arched his back when petted. He had just gotten out of quarantine for URI when we saw him. We were looking for an adult clawed cat since those, they said, were the least likely to get adopted. They became the best of buddies.

After my dog Cami died, Samir, who had lived with her for 2.5 years was very lonely, hiding, yowling all night and day, which was NOT like him. So I decided to go back and find him a female cat buddy. Alanna was in the very last cage and everyone else was oohing and ahhing over the kittens that were there. The first thing I said was "she's so cute!" Which is why I named her Alanna, an English name which means beautiful.

Fast forward 6 years later, my sister had just given up one of her big orange male cats that she had adopted. I had offered to keep him, but she said she wanted him then gave him away after she moved down south. Ever since I have been wanting a big orange male DLH or DMH cat or kitten. I was searching Craigslist and noticed someone said they had 10 wk old orange Maine Coon mixed kittens that were born on a farm for FREE! I went to "just look"
They had one male and one female left, I took the male, the rest is history, LOL!

Last edited by 3gatos; 12-09-2012 at 01:54 PM.
3gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Found him on petfinder. Went to visit when the rescue group had the kittens at petco and played with him a bit. When they took him out of his cage, he acknowledged me but seemed interested in exploring everything. He was about 8.5-9 weeks old at this point and had JUST finished recovering from neutering. Not fearful at all.

I filled out an application. They put him on "hold" for me and let me know that they'd let me know if he was still available when my application processed, but that they'd try to keep him for me. He was the only orange and white baby. They had multiple litters at the time, but all were black and gray except for him. I though for sure he'd be adopted before I could get him!

I came back the next week and was so relieved to find him still there. I took him home and he screamed the whole way - 9 months later he loves his carrier but still HATES the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
rightsaidfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Cabbit we got from a Manx breeder, Nyska at the pound ans Winston from Craiglist.
Jetlaya67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I've never had a kitty from the shelter... I'm sure one of these days I will.

Blaze: I wanted an orange kitten, there weren't any kittens that time of year, but we managed to find one orange kitty from a person that had trapped some feral kittens from behind a mall area of dumpsters. That was 17 years ago now.

Blacky: Started feeding her by chance outside (we'd put leftover outside), she was semi-feral and took a year until she allowed me close enough to pet her. She became a fantastic cat. It's been at least 10 years now but no idea how old she is.

Jasper: Well, I don't know if we're keeping him, but for now he's our responsibility. We also started feeding him by chance as well, we've seen him all summer here and there, sneaking inside to get at Blacky's food and hanging around outdoors likely for scraps we put outside. We got him neutered and had the bite marks on his leg taken care of too. I'm trying to tame him, it's been about a month and a half and he's coming along slowly. Vet estimated he's 6 or 7.

Previous cat we had my father found under a stage he was tearing down at work, all alone and probably only 6 weeks old. He only lived to be three years old, though.

Along with the dogs Tara and Coco.
Carmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat

I got Mitsey off of Craigslist last year and Rico was purchased from a breeder.
gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Mine have all been either strays, from shelters, or babies brought to me by strays. I'm over 50 (unfortunately) and this was the pattern from the time I was a tiny dwt!!

My current six are one thrown out by a very weird brand of owner and five from what I guess in the USA would be regarded as a private shelter.

Just realising that you may not know what a dwt is - it is a Welsh word for someone very little.

Last edited by Arianwen; 12-09-2012 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Explaining something!
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cat

I got Artie from a local humane society. He was in a foster home with about 6 other cats--in the cellar!
He was actually 'picked out' for me!
I told them my situation, what I wanted and voila! Artie was there!
I was really surprised when I saw him.
He is orange and white. My last cat, Pumpkin, was orange and white also...
But Artie is much more cuddly...almost as fussy....very vocal whereas Pumpkin only went ballistic and cried at night~all night!
Artie talks to me, and I fell in love with him almost immediately..

I would adopt again through a shelter. May not be from the same one because Artie had issues which I discovered after I adopted and fell in love with him, after an exam by a Vet. Since then, I have discovered these Vet exams are only cursory..just a quickie exam for shots, fleas, ....
I would definitely adopt again, but would make sure I had an appointment with my own Vet immediately.
ok--I talk too much!
artiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement