Cat Forum banner

rescuing a cat...

4K views 43 replies 21 participants last post by  MV0087 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

First post here. I am considering rescuing a cat and bringing her home to my apartment. Growing up I have always had dogs and would have one now except my apartment wont allow them, only cats.

I am looking at a domestic shorthair that I developed a connection with at the shelter that is nearly 1 year old. She is a bit shy and doesn't like being held at the moment. Perfectly healthy cat, all tests negative, up to date on shots, microchip installed...etc.

Currently I am single and will be working 40-60 hours a week. I live in an 800sqft apartment in a highrise.

I have some question for the veterans of the forum.

First of all, my biggest fear is the cat getting bored when I'm not around and clawing at my new furniture and/or chewing on wires for my electronic devices. I do not wish to declaw the cat because I think it is an inhumane practice. Behavior like this is as much of a nuisance to me as it is a health risk to the cat. Is this a common problem among cats or does it rarely happen? Everyone I have asked who I know that owns cats has not experienced this problem, but I think it may be a valid concern.

Second, what are the best kinds of toys I can buy for the cat to ensure it will be thoroughly entertained when I am at work throughout the week / away on the weekends?

Third, what are the 'essentials' I must do to cat proof my apartment and ensure the cat can't get into any life threatening trouble for itself, or financially crippling trouble for me.

Finally, will the cats personality change after being away from the shelter and living with me for a while? I don't mind the fact that it is shy now but I would like the cat to open up to me a bit when it gets to know me better.

Thanks for the advice in advance! I look forward to (potentially) owning a cat in the near future.

See less See more
#37 ·
I am relieved to find a clump of litter waiting for me this morning in the box -- I guess the cover wasn't a problem! She even was sleeping on the bed last night for a while and rubbing her head into my arm and purring. That is the first time I have heard her purr...what a difference in behavior from the shelter!

#38 ·
I'm not sure if the cat is eating. I have been giving her a few scoops of wet food in the morning and she hasn't touched it in two days. It doesn't appear like she is eating the dry food either, nor the treats I bought for her. I've tried moving the food and water bowls to different places in the house and feeding her by hand but she isn't eating. Her behavior is normal and she seems happy. Whats the deal?

#39 · (Edited)
Does she seem to be adjusting otherwise? If she isn't, you might want to look into shutting her into one room, like your bedroom, with her food, water, and litter box for a a few days/weeks until she feels safe in that room. Exploring a whole house can be scary and she might be super stressed.

Do you know what the shelter was feeding her? Maybe buy that type of food. Try feeding her some real meat or an egg or even tuna if you don't think she's been eating, as it's very important they eat, there can be fatal consequences quite quickly in cats otherwise, as they can suffer from hepatic lipidosis.

#40 · (Edited by Moderator)
She ate some of her canned food yesterday but nothing today...as far as I know. I've tried to give her eggs and she doesn't like them. Even heated up her food this morning and she didn't touch it. She sniffed it and licked her lips but didn't eat anything.

Her behavior seems fine. She was sleeping on me today for a while and playing with me this afternoon. Most of her day is spent sleeping under my bed.

#43 ·
My new cat Lacey is barely eating too. She is fine otherwise - sleeping alot though. She has a cold with lots of sneezing and a vet appointment tomorrow AM. I'm giving her tuna with L-lysine in it to help with the cold, but this AM she barely touched it, but nibbled on the dry food. Watch for sneezing. It took Lacey a couple days to show symptions of a cold. That may be what is bothering kitty. Hope you have a vet check scheduled - I think all new arrivals should be vet checked within a week, but that is just MHO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.