Adoption Day Help Needed - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 06:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Default Adoption Day Help Needed

I am adopting a new cat today. Both are 3 years old and both have great qualities. Today is the second visit and I will make a decision after that probably before I leave the shelter. The black and white is a looker - check out those whiskers!, but not overly affectionate while the grey kitty is not such a looker (needs a day spa visit!), but is very affectionate, BUT she did nip me when I tried to put her back in to the cage at first visit - BUT she WAS a snuggler. I dismissed the nip as stress related (and being declawed perhaps she felt threatened by me). I would love a lap cat again but I realize that there are no guarantees for that with ANY cat. I'm leaving for the shelter in 4 hours so need a few votes before then!

Adoption Day Help Needed-lacey-adoption-photo.jpg

Adoption Day Help Needed-whiskers-adoption-photo.jpg

Last edited by Marcia; 01-16-2013 at 06:40 AM.
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 07:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

When we adopted our first cat Rookie from the SPCA, she hissed loud when they tried to clip her nails before putting her in the carrier. She ultimately turned out to be a sweetie of a cat, and on the shy side. I think they're just stressed, and it gives you an idea of the things to stay away from when you get them home.

They're beautiful kitties!

Holly and Murphy
October is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Yes, when I adopted Missy she purred AND hissed at me! Turned out she is a lap cat and a lover, but a hisser at almost everybody (other cats) but means nothing by it. At 5 pounds a girl needs to SOUND meaner than she is.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Difficult choice. One thing for me, and me only, is a cat being named Whiskers. Many years ago we had a B&W called Whiskers who got lost in the German bombing blitz on London.

But putting that aside, I'd chose Lacey. She looks terribly unhappy and needs a good home. (I adopted Zenobi because she looked so unhappy. One of the first thing she did was to give me an angry bite that drew blood. She's been gone almost three years now and I still miss her.) I expect Whiskers will find a home anyway.

Of course that's just me. The cat's need always comes first. Most choices are difficult.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat Addict

They are both beautiful. But Lacey looks like she needs a home so badly. She is probably stressed and did not want to be back in the cage, can't blame the poor thing for that. Whichever one you choose, you are saving a life.
Jetlaya67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Oh now see this is why I love this site! We are a compassionate lot! I am back from the shelter and my choice was easy. The tuxedo was on hold until the 25th because it was a stray. I wasn't even allowed to visit it. I visited with the grey (now called Lacey) and she really is quite the sweetheart - only a tiny nip today. My friend that ran a shelter went with me to evaluate, said it may be in response to the mats or ear mites or something else bothering her physically. It was only a warning and we could not reproduce the actions that prompted it. I agree she looked terribly unhappy and she does not have the cutest face, but she is so totally sweet AND a lap cat, that I decided to call her mine. It was an easy decision after the visit today. So now there are 5.

Now get this..... This is our local animal control shelter: Lacey was $25 since she was already spayed. The cost included the city license, rabies shot, F-HIV test, and microchip. $25!!! The SPCA here would have charged me about $85!
We have an awesome city shelter.
Thanks for the help - ya'll are awesome!
Old 01-16-2013, 02:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusjim View Post
Difficult choice. One thing for me, and me only, is a cat being named Whiskers. Many years ago we had a B&W called Whiskers who got lost in the German bombing blitz on London.

But putting that aside, I'd chose Lacey. She looks terribly unhappy and needs a good home. (I adopted Zenobi because she looked so unhappy. One of the first thing she did was to give me an angry bite that drew blood. She's been gone almost three years now and I still miss her.) I expect Whiskers will find a home anyway.

Of course that's just me. The cat's need always comes first. Most choices are difficult.
I'm really sorry about your Whiskers. We had a tuxedo named Billy that we just adored. I thought I could never again consider a tuxedo, but alas it was not meant to be today. This guy here is cute, if he is not claimed he'll get adopted.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Welcome home Lacey! Sounds like you made a great choice, and she needs some TLC. I think the picture of her wasn't the most flattering, but she's still very pretty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia View Post
Now get this..... This is our local animal control shelter: Lacey was $25 since she was already spayed. The cost included the city license, rabies shot, F-HIV test, and microchip. $25!!! The SPCA here would have charged me about $85!
I find the price point pretty sad actually, it's so cheap, I often wonder how they can stay open at such costs...

This is what the local shelter here charges:

Dog - General $299.00
Dog - Toy Size $399.00 * smaller dogs are so rare in shelters here
Dog - Purebred (documented by appropriate paperwork) $399.00
Senior Dog (over 8 years old) $149.50
Puppy (under 6 months) - General $399.00
Puppy (under 6 months) - Toy Size $499.00 * Again likely due to demand
Puppy (under 6 months) - Purebred (documented by appropriate paperwork) $499.00

Cat $149.00
Kitten (under 6 months) $179.00
Bonded Adult Cats (must go as pair) $223.50
Senior Cat (over 8 years old) $74.50

These costs are a more accurate representation of what it would cost for a regular vet to spay/neuter, without all the extra work that's been involved (shots, tests, food, paid staff's time in caring for them) so I would happily pay such fees knowing it's going to a good cause. Different branches/shelters have different prices but they're all pretty similar in cost.

Along with the dogs Tara and Coco.

Last edited by Carmel; 01-16-2013 at 02:34 PM.
Carmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Sounds like you made a good choice! It would be nice to see some photos of her once she is settled in her new home
CatMonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel View Post
Welcome home Lacey! Sounds like you made a great choice, and she needs some TLC. I think the picture of her wasn't the most flattering, but she's still very pretty.

I find the price point pretty sad actually, it's so cheap, I often wonder how they can stay open at such costs...
The shelter is partly supported by our city tax $$$. I've never thought the taxes were very high here, but because we are a resort city and get tons of tourists, they tack on an extra 10% food tax - for everyone, even locals. Buying a Whopper for $5? That'll be $5.50. I think that is were alot of the extra revenue comes from - BTW, I hate Whoppers but love our new city shelter!

I'll post some pics after her day spa visit.
Advertisement