A little update on me. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2012, 05:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Default A little update on me.

So, I've not been able to get to the forum much, and I wanted just to give a quick update. We've had a really busy month, and things are about to get even more chaotic for us.

My husband Dave has had a life long dream of owning his own business, and growing up in the restaurant business, with 30 years experience, he wanted his own restaurant. We had been looking for a while for just the right opportunity, and had something kind of fall into our laps earlier this month, and couldn't pass it up. It's a little hot spot, and everything just kind of fell into place for what we needed to make it happen. So we close on the 8th of Nov, and open for business Nov 9th. It's a great little country environment, laid back, outdoorsy environment, catering to the outdoorsman......hunters, fishing, ATV'ers and snowmobilers. It will keep us so busy, but to see how happy my husband is makes it worth it.

It's called Becker's 400 Club. The original name from way back when it was new is The 400 Club. It was named after the 400 train that used to pass the restaurant when it was new. The people that owned it before us changed that name, and the locals were never happy about it, so we changed it back, and added our name so they would know it's new owners taking over. We've had locals stopping in daily just to thank us for changing it back to the 400 Club........they are all so excited about that, and we love that, because we are hoping to create a really friendly environment. It's right off a main highway too, so lots of good exposure there.

It's a log cabin style with a nice bar, and big dining hall, with a full kitchen. We are working really hard to get it cleaned up, and installing new carpet in the dining room too. Lots of good changes, and lots of hard work we hope will pay off in the end. This is a huge change, and a huge risk, but everyone keeps telling us this place was always packed, and we will do great as long as we keep putting out good food. Everything will be made from scratch.......lots of home cooking, so we feel confident we'll keep them coming in.

The best thing about this, and what's getting us very excited, is that everyone in town is talking about this place already, the rumors are flying, and it's all good! People are so friendly! We are putting a log siding on the building exterior, and people are offering to help us out. They share stories about coming to this place when they were young, when it was The 400 Club, and it's so awesome that bringing it back to The 400 Club is making them so happy. It's a very friendly little town, and close enough to two other big towns to draw in from there, the tourists, and the highway.

This is the front. The sides are just an ugly faded green steel right now, and we ordered a half log siding to replace that. Will look nice when we are done.

Front of dining room.

Back of dining room. New carpet will cover the whole floor in here when installed.

From dining room into bar.

Bar area.
OwnedByACat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2012, 06:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Congratulations, Geri! It's wonderful that you and Dave are finally getting to live your life-long dream, something we all aspire to do. Owning your own business is always a risk, but the rewards can also be high, particularly the intangible rewards such as being able to take pride in something you have built. I'm a professional and spend a lot of time in "fancy" restaurants, entertaining clients -- restaurants that charge unthinkable amounts for food I can barely pronounce. As nice as many of those places are, when it comes to my personal life, I much prefer a place with good home cooking, good service and a cozy, homey feeling...much like what you seem to have. The place looks great and I wish you the best of luck!
Old 10-29-2012, 09:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Thank you, Susan! I know those high end restaurants you are talking about, and it never seems like people are to friendly at those places. We want to create the type of environment that people want to come to, that you can walk into, and feel welcomed. It's kind of funny, we've been talking to the staff, all of them are coming back, and we mentioned that we wanted to have a staff meeting, to all get together, and get to know each other. We mentioned that we wanted to hear their ideas, and for them to know they can feel comfortable coming to us with anything, even ideas. They thought that was the best thing, they'd always wanted to have meetings, and never did. They've had great suggestions so far!

We are both excited! It's going to be a crazy time once we get going because we'll be going right into deer hunting season, and from what everyone is talking about, we are going to be B....U....S.....Y!!!! My husband will be in heaven, he thrives in this type of environment, and he's right at home in that place. Very happy for him!

Last edited by OwnedByACat; 10-29-2012 at 09:12 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tom Cat

That's fantastic Geri! It is a lot of work and a risk, but when it all works out and you and your husband get to live your dream, well it's all worth it in the end.

Best of luck to you both!
Cats&Plants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat Addict

That so exciting Geri! Congrats!

If I'm ever in the area I'll look you guys up

Becky and the cats: Jitzu (9), Torri (6), Doran (5), and Muffin (5)
librarychick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

How awesome, Geri! I hope you two will do great in your new endeavor.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Fried pickles..........yes please!
Luvmyfurbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Thank you so much everybody! I have to say, for me, the best part is hands down, having hubby home every night now! At his other job, it took him out of town quite often, and I was home alone quite a bit, usually a week at a time. I hated it! So for me, the reward is having my hubby back. He's so much happier now working for himself. Definitely worth the hard work. We get to work together now, and enjoy this together as well.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:54 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cat Addict

What a great piece of news, Geri! It really sounds like you are bringing a piece of the town's heart and soul back - something sorely needed in many places! (Just wait 'till some young local couple decides to have their wedding reception there and the whole town shows up !)

I hope you won't be too busy to keep the photography business too - but you know what they say about the busier you are, the more you get done...! Congratulations again!

Fran
Fran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I hope that you use your photographs to decorate the new place. It would be the final piece to a perfect place. I can already hear all the happy customers as they wait for their wonderful meal exclaiming over this picture, or that. Maybe take a few people as they help you ready the place for opening.

This is going to be a great adventure for both of you and I really wish you the best. It sounds like you have really have made great strides to begin with happy staff and happy town's people. Btw, if hunting season is anything like where I used to live you will be VERY, VERY busy!

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
Leazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement