Change of Seasons - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 01:05 AM   #11 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Did you make that Goldtanker? The cat house I ordered for my stray probably won't arrive until the middle of next week and it's been unseasonably cold here - night time temps routinely in the mid- to lower 30s at night.

Right now, he's just in a series of cardboard boxes. His heated pad and bed fit perfectly in the smallest one, and there's a fleece throw lining the sides and back of the box. Then I wrapped the box in a Polartec blanket and put it inside a bigger box, and that inside an even bigger box. There's a towel covering the opening halfway. I hope he's warm enough.
spirite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 06:55 AM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Sounds like that setup will work just fine. I made the two houses out of cardboard boxes covered with 2 inch ridged foam insulation, all seams taped and the whole thing covered with a plastic trash-bag.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
Cat Addict

If this house doesn't work out, I'm going to look for some foam - or Builder and someone else mentioned another kind of insulation. This is going to be the 2nd cat house I've ordered in the past month. The first was too small, which was my fault. The new one is just the width of his bed, but now I'm worried that it's going to be too small too.

Well, one good thing about winter - there's less cat fur flying around.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
Cat

Two winters ago I gerry-rigged an outdoor kitty house on my covered back porch, on top of my wooden picknic table. I had bought a heated cat/dog bed at Menards [a local big box store like Loews or Home Depot]. I then bought some styrofoam sheets there also & tapped them together with duct tape, to cover the bed. I left the two ends open [for escape purposes]. I covered the whole shebang with a kingsized comforter and weighted down a tarp on top of it all, with extra 14 lb. kitty litter jugs I had.

Yeah, it was pretty ugly but I was glad to see the ferals using it [they didn't mind how it looked!]

"Where am I going and why am I in this handbasket?"
pookieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
Cat Addict

That's what I'm thinking. I think my ugly-as-sin contraption is probably warmer than the feral cat house I bought, even though there's a lot more space and it's way more open, because his bed and heated pad fit inside.

I bought two indoor heated kitty beds for my girls. One loves them, but will only sleep on them when I leave them on the floor instead of up on the sofa/chair/futon. The other tested one out and didn't seem impressed. They don't seem to have different sleeping spots when it's colder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement