All set for Super Tuesday? - Page 7 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2012, 05:36 AM   #61 (permalink)
Cat

Thank you to all of you who posted on this thread. You made my day! I am in a red state and I am Dem blue. I never know when I can celebrate or get my ***chewed for celebrating. How can anyone believe Fox News? I expected them to say that Hurricane Sandy didn't happen.
Catmamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 07:33 AM   #62 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Democrats hate Fox, Repubs hate the rest of the media. The bias from both is unbelievable. And sad that people don't get it.
It used to be that facts were reported as news, now opinions are reported as news. The media controlled and won the election. Twitter was huge.

The idea that the Repub party represents the rich and the Dem party represents the poor was belied by the fact that 10 wealthiest zip codes voted Dem this year. A surprise until you look at the proposed tax plans.

It's also very interesting to watch how voters of each party are handling the results of the election. Proud of some, disappointed in others. It shouldn't be an "us" vs "them" situation - people (hopefully) voted for the person they thought would do the best job leading the country through what is going to be a very difficult fiscal period. Snide comments, gloating, taunting (form either "side") reflect back on the person making those remarks and do nothing to mend the country. And that should be the focus right now.
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley
Old 11-11-2012, 09:47 AM   #63 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Todd Akin did correct himself after the legitimate rape comment. He came back and said he meant to say "forcible" rape.

Really? THAT'S what he thought was wrong with his statement? Not the biological impossibility of what he suggested...

Good to know that my best friend in college that had an abortion did so because the rape wasn't forcible or legitimate - she must have let him or else her body would have shut it down.

This is what happens we we don't offer proper sex education, especially to children who grow up in conservative areas and then run as conservative candidates for public office.

Anyway, he didn't win and we all got a good laugh at his expense. It just scares me that people believe the things he does.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
rightsaidfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:01 AM   #64 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightsaidfed View Post
It just scares me that people believe the things he does.
Me too, but its not only him. There are a few others as well, that I worry about.
builder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:28 AM   #65 (permalink)
Cat

Quote:
The idea that the Repub party represents the rich and the Dem party represents the poor was belied by the fact that 10 wealthiest zip codes voted Dem this year.
Exactly. I live in one of the poorest counties in Florida and it was red all the way. Just goes to show that the media is way off on some of their comments. With that said though, there were valid reasons to like or dislike all the candidates in this election (from national to local govt).

I never really buy into the media anyway...they're all slanted one way or another. In college, we looked at how all media sources are connected to like three to five companies. It's scary really. After that, I quit believing all the "news" sources. CNN, Fox News...either way, they're bias and only report what fits their particular agenda.

Last edited by tigre86; 11-11-2012 at 10:30 AM.
tigre86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:59 AM   #66 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I think it's worth noting in Canada it's illegal to broad lies as news. The US needs a non-government body to regulate what the media says. It really should be a crime to mislead people in the manner they do.

I don't doubt that all of the US media is biased in someway. That's why I try to watch multiple networks including foreign media like Al Jazeera, BBC, and France 24. People act like I'm a terrorist when they find out that I regularly watch non-American media. I like to see the view point from around the globe, not just what the US media wants us to see.

For full disclosure on my next paragraph, I supported the Democratic candidates and I'm gay and hope to get married and have my marriage recognized in the US on the federal and state level.

I'm really confused about the conservatives. They say they don't want government interference and they're for personal responsibility. Why are they against same-sex marriage then? The government banning a legal contract (yes, that's what it is.) between 2 consenting adults is ridiculous to me and certainly government interference. I get it, some people may not like same-sex marriage and they say it's against their religious beliefs. That's all fine and dandy. Don't marry someone of the same-sex and you won't be affected. You won't be automatically divorced if I get married. I think marrying the person you love is personal responsibility as it's securing your future together. I guess they disagree. End rant.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:10 PM   #67 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catmamma View Post
How can anyone believe Fox News? I expected them to say that Hurricane Sandy didn't happen.
They know it happen, they just blamed it on Obama. It was awesome.

& Krissy - Janitor, KitterKat Club Enterprises
MowMow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:31 PM   #68 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottd View Post
I'm really confused about the conservatives. They say they don't want government interference and they're for personal responsibility. Why are they against same-sex marriage then? The government banning a legal contract (yes, that's what it is.) between 2 consenting adults is ridiculous to me and certainly government interference. I get it, some people may not like same-sex marriage and they say it's against their religious beliefs. That's all fine and dandy. Don't marry someone of the same-sex and you won't be affected. You won't be automatically divorced if I get married. I think marrying the person you love is personal responsibility as it's securing your future together. I guess they disagree. End rant.
Maybe you can help me understand something...

I consider myself an independent, I'm fiscally conservative, all for personal responsibility, and have huge issues with people that feel entitled. On the flip side, I recognize the need for abortion, I'd rather give out free birth control pills than pay welfare for those kids etc. A person's sexual orientation is their business, it won't affect my relationship or opinion of them. But I honestly don't understand why the gay community is so up in arms about marriage. You say it secures your future together....what does that mean to you? To me, I feel that the people in the marriage secure their future, not a legal contract (whether gay or hetero). I know there are issues about things like being able to make medical decisions, but that can easily be taken care of by going to a lawyer and setting up a will, healthcare proxy, a living will etc. Educate me please....

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:45 PM   #69 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug View Post
Maybe you can help me understand something...

I consider myself an independent, I'm fiscally conservative, all for personal responsibility, and have huge issues with people that feel entitled. On the flip side, I recognize the need for abortion, I'd rather give out free birth control pills than pay welfare for those kids etc. A person's sexual orientation is their business, it won't affect my relationship or opinion of them. But I honestly don't understand why the gay community is so up in arms about marriage. You say it secures your future together....what does that mean to you? To me, I feel that the people in the marriage secure their future, not a legal contract (whether gay or hetero). I know there are issues about things like being able to make medical decisions, but that can easily be taken care of by going to a lawyer and setting up a will, healthcare proxy, a living will etc. Educate me please....
In my opinion as far as the government is concerned, it's a legal contract. That certainly isn't all it is to the people getting married though. If there were no rights afforded by marriage, I wouldn't care. We can have a ceremony without it being recognized now and that provides the non-rights part. I believe there's like over 1000 rights that marriage provides including being able be on your spouses insurance without a higher tax bill (some companies like Google actually pay their lesbian and gay employees $1000~ more per year to cover the extra expense), being able to file taxes jointly, wills and healthcare proxies can be contested and marriage makes it easier, and so on. You can mimic marriage by spending thousands of dollars in legal bills or you can get a $35 marriage license and get married. How is that fair?

Is there really any reason to deny marriage to 2 consenting adults? It's not like we reserve marriage for people that have children (and lesbian and gay couples do have children anyways). My aunt and uncle are married. Neither of them can have children. Should we force them to get divorced? We allow divorce too! That voids the religious argument despite the fact US government is secular.

I just can't find a valid reason to deny marriage to any 2 consenting adults.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:54 PM   #70 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I should add in on the immigration part. My fiancÚ is not an US citizen. Even if we do get married in a state that recognizes same-sex marriage, US immigration won't care because the Defense of Marriage Act prevents the federal government from recognizing same-sex marriage. Unless he has a visa for something unrelated, he would be subject to deportation.

So basically unless things change, I'm going to have to immigrate to Canada if we want to be together. Same-sex marriage has been legal in Canada country-wide since 2005 and they aren't in anarchy, lol.