All set for Super Tuesday? - Page 8 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2012, 08:23 PM   #71 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Ok...your explanation is pretty much what I thought. I agree that there are benefits/rights that every couple should be able to have by committing to each other and signing a legal contract aka marriage license. And it doesn't matter whether the couple is same or opposite sex.

But I do have a problem with some of the financial perks associated with marriage. They are antiquated in that they are based on a time when it was all about "traditional" family roles and most women didn't work outside the house. They were appropriate then, not today. In today's society where nearly half the adult population is unmarried and the vast majority of married couples are dual income...why should the singles pay a higher tax rate than the married people? Why should a wife be able to collect off her husband's social security (while he's still alive) when he didn't pay in more? Why should medical insurance come at lower premiums just because you are married? I could go on and on...

I think a lot of reform is needed to make things equitable for everyone. I guess us singles need to rise up and make a stink too.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 04:07 PM   #72 (permalink)
Premier Cat

[QUOTE=doodlebug;884343

I'm fiscally conservative, all for personal responsibility

have huge issues with people that feel entitled.

I recognize the need for abortion, I'd rather give out free birth control pills than pay welfare for those kids

A person's sexual orientation is their business, it won't affect my relationship or opinion of them. But I honestly don't understand why the gay community is so up in arms about marriage.

[/QUOTE]

Throw in "And I'm sick of hearing how horrible white people are" and we can form a new Political Party.
Advertisement