Veteran's Day - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2012, 11:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Default Veteran's Day

Today, I have called my guys as is SOP on this day.

My uncle, a B-17 pilot in WWII, 351st Bomb Group, Polebrook, England, and a tank commander from my unit are both in hospice. I called them both (as I will continue to do). They can hear me and understand, but can't talk.

I have also called some of the remaining guys from A Co. 2/34 Armor (Presidential Unit Citation for the Battle of Soui Tre/LZ Gold, 1967).

The older I get, the more overwhelming it becomes.

Please remember our Military on this day.

Old 11-11-2012, 02:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat Addict

It's Remembrance Day here which I guess is pretty similar. My father was a soldier as was my grandfather so it's a pretty big deal for me.

They shall not grow old as we that are left grow old
Age shall not weary them nor the years condemn
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premier Cat

There are less and less veterans around to tell their stories to us, which makes it even more important for the younger generations to realise the importance of peace so we don't repeat our mistakes.

My grandfather was in the war, as well as my great grandfather and at least one great grand uncle (he was mustard gassed but survived)... while I didn't know the latter two, I know they all did a great service for the country.

My grandfather is still alive and well at 90, the war really shaped his life. He's lived most of his life in peace, but he still talks about the war like it was yesterday, he always has. Seeing things like heaps of bodies piled up in concentration camps stays with you, you never get over it.

Along with the dogs Tara and Coco.
Carmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat

I'm a nurse. I work at a hospital solely dedicated to veterans. I work in the dementia area and have become attached to my patients. I spent the day with them they had special live music dancing and a party as well as special activities for them this week

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
crazyismycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat

Nice sentiments all. Veteran's day is a big thing in my household. My Hubby come from a largely military family. He was named after a great uncle who was killed at war.

Lets also not forget our younger veterans.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Quote:
Lets also not forget our younger veterans.
Yes! Theres a million young guys right out of high school going over there seeing things and risking their lives like none of us could ever begin to imagine. My husband included. Hes infantry so he was on the front lines of the front lines! ha Some of the stories hes told me I cant fathom experiencing myself. I always tell him to stop because I cant bear to hear anymore of it.... Its pure crazyness.... And thankfully hes taking it a lot better than most other guys out there are... We dont thank our veterans enough. Especially the young ones today!

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Zilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cat Addict

And we should remember those who have died. When boys from my father's old Regiment are killed, veterans turn out to the funeral from all over the country (probably helped by the fact that Wales is a pretty small place), usually wearing their regimental ties and old berets to show their solidarity with the young men who are still serving.
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Iím a Vietnam veteran and up till now I never talked much about it, it was a time when people spit on you and called you a baby killer if they knew, so I kept it to myself.
builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by builder View Post
Iím a Vietnam veteran and up till now I never talked much about it, it was a time when people spit on you and called you a baby killer if they knew, so I kept it to myself.
I am maybe 1/2 a generation after you. I heard it all but never understood it at all. Well to say the least, That is not something I would do.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by binkyhoo View Post
I am maybe 1/2 a generation after you. I heard it all but never understood it at all. Well to say the least, That is not something I would do.
I was drafted without a choice and felt it was completely unfair and uncalled for because it wasnít my war.
builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement