Catty Knitting - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2012, 02:38 AM   #11 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I crochet. i want to learn how you did that. My mom know how to knit and crochet. she tried to teach me but it was confusing for me but i got the hang of it alittle bit. I want to make a cat bed or a kitty sweater or blanket.
hatchet2105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2012, 02:56 AM   #12 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I'd suggest getting a simple book that covers the basic stitches and techniques. It's handy to have for reference. The internet of course has a wealth of information, there are even YouTube videos to teach you different techniques. For patterns, I usually go to Ravelry.com. You have to sign up to use their website, but you will be glad you did. Raverly is THE internet community for knitters and crocheters, and their pattern library is amazing!
When I was a kid I had learned the basic crochet stitch but quickly lost interest. I didn't really get my start with crochet until about a year ago when I saw a book of patterns my sister had of cute little stuffed animals and decided that I wanted to make some. My first project was a one night crash course in crochet. I started out by picking something I wanted to make, then I learned to read the pattern, what the stitches were, and how to actually make the stitches all at once. It probably would have been better, though, to practice the basic stitches until I developed the muscle memory to do them easily, then learn to work from a pattern. It also really helps if you have someone who can show you the basics. That's what's nice about the YouTube videos if you don't have a friend to show you. It's easier than trying to figure it out from a diagram alone.
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:37 AM   #13 (permalink)
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by my4kitties View Post
My mom used to crochet and she showed me the very basic stitch so I at least know how to do that. However, I'd like to learn how to really crochet. Any suggestions/recommendations on where I can look for directions? Thanks!
A lot of Joann stores offer basic crochet courses, you could check into something like that. I would teach you, if you lived nearby!
newkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I knit and crochet and I know how to use a knitting machine too. Hand knitting a dress takes ages, so I used a knitting machine and had done many dresses, not just tops. Since the company that sells knitting machine accessories closed down some more than 10yrs ago, I have stopped cos I can't find needle replacement for those that had gone rusty. I still have all the knitting machine books, punched patterns, but the machine I have recently thrown it out.
snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:41 AM   #15 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
This is probably a dumb question but what the heck is the difference between knitting and crocheting?? My grandma used to crochet and that rug looks a little like something she would make... I always wanted to learn but it hurt my brain trying to watch her do it Very cute rug by the way!
knitting you use two needles (unless it's a circular one and i love those because your work can't fall off) and crocheting you use one. i have tried to learn to crochet, but i never was able because i couldn't regulate my stitches without the other needle (????). so i'm probably just a big spazz. i like needlepoint and embroidery too, and i've hooked a rug. it was too big i think and i got sick of doing it and never did another one.

i haven't knitted anything for a very very long time but that mouse rug is hilarious. i won't request a pattern yet before i make sure i'm going to do it.
cinderflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:50 AM   #16 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell View Post
I think this article gives a pretty good overview of the differences
What is the Difference Between Knit and Crochet?

Knit fabric has more stretch and elasticity to it, so I think it's better for garments & sweaters. Crochet is a bit more bulky, but since it's worked one stitch at a time, you can get some interesting shapes and motifs with it. Both crafts work well for things like hats, scarves and blankets.
whenever i think of crocheted things, i always think of baby clothes. i fell in love with the "sea of tranquility" pattern afghan (there is a repeated line of purposely dropped stitches which makes it see-through, so it's a white one not used for warmth but it looks really pretty over a solid color blanket or comforter). but the one thing i always wanted to make was lace, for which you use a tiny, tiny crochet hook. and now i'm sure that would be even harder on my eyes than needlepoint, but i could always get a pair of those coke-bottle bottom glasses.

i've also seen a few afghan patterns with crocheted roses and some other cable stitch thrown in that gave it a really unique texture but i couldn't make them because i can't crochet.

Last edited by cinderflower; 12-26-2012 at 10:50 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-26-2012, 02:11 PM   #17 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I've hooked a rug before, too. To do that, you need the patience of Job. The hard part of hooking, for me anyway, is finishing. I need to figure out how to do that so that all of my hard work doesn't come undone.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:39 PM   #18 (permalink)
Cat Addict

this is going to sound ridiculous to you but someone else had started it and i was at her house and commented on how pretty it was (it was two little cherubs touching fingers like the sistine chapel painting. sort of. -ish) and she said, "oh you can HAVE it, i'm sick of it already." it was HUGE and she had barely done any of it, i guess she thought it would be easier or faster than it was.

so i took it home and finished it after two years and a different friend of mine said, "oh that's so beautiful," and i said, "i don't know how to finish the edges so if you want it you can have it," and she took it and had it done somewhere else. i didn't want it though, because i knew i would never use it for a rug, and i was also kind of sick of looking at it. it was really way too big for a beginning project but i had no idea how tedious it would be when i took it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement