Hostess - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 03:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cat Addict

But what are they like?
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 04:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
Nan
Cool Cat

Arianwen, it's been years since I have had a twinkie, but they are a vanilla cake that has a white ceamy filling. They really don't have much flavor other than being sweet. I'm not nostalgic about twinkies.

Doddlebug, that is a big paycut; I probably wouldn't have voted for it either If I was working for them. But they probably were going to have to cut back on operations anyway.

Maybe I mis-spoke about the corporate greed thing. I just read on Bloomberg that the company still wanted to pay management bonuses while letting other jobs go. I was just speaking from my own experience as working for a food products manufacturer. That wouldn't have flown for the company I work at. There isn't alot of profit margin for food manufacturers compared to, say clothing or industrial goods.

A bankruptcy affects more than the people working for the company and the investors. Lots of suppliers who sold them ingredients to make their products won't get paid either. (That's the side I see).

Last edited by Nan; 11-19-2012 at 04:26 PM. Reason: I can't spell
Nan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Super Moderator

They're yellow sponge cake with a white creamy center. Never was a fan.

google "hostess twinkie" for pics

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan View Post
Doddlebug, that is a big paycut; I probably wouldn't have voted for it either If I was working for them. But they probably were going to have to cut back on operations anyway.
It is a big paycut and I understand the problems that come with it...the workers have been living at a level that their paycheck allows and to cut it by 25% and then another 25% means not being able to pay their bills. I get it. What I don't get is how their salaries (or at least this guy's salary) got so inflated to begin with. According to indeed.com the average teacher salary in the city he works in is $46K. Is a receiving clerk position really on par with a teacher? IMO...no way.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:40 PM   #15 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Apparently after their last bankruptcy, they raised the CEOs pay by 300% (it was $750,000/year) and many other executives as well.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:07 PM   #16 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Don't get me started on CEO salaries and golden parachutes etc.!!!!

Old 11-19-2012, 06:28 PM   #17 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I knew someone who ate a 6 year old twinkie. She was fine-and the Twinkie didn't even taste much different. I'm a Zingers man myself...
bluemilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:05 PM   #18 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Warning, I am not pro-union (but not necessarily anti-union). With so much government regulations I do feel that in general they don't do as much as they once did.

I'm not sure on that figures and I do think you have it incorrect. The reports I've seen have said the executives were as much as 80% salary increases and they were wanting to cut wages by 8%. (please see links)

I will admit that I wonder if it were temporary? While I worked for a major tire company, our plant had to furlough employees for awhile as well as cut the schedule by about 15%. As soon as the market picked back up, we brought everyone back and the schedule returned to a full schedule. No union at this particular plant. However, the company did target a union plant because, quite frankly, it's a pain in the rear dealing with unions! I wonder what would have happened had our plant been union...I don't think the furlough would have gone over as well.

Last edited by aniela; 11-19-2012 at 07:07 PM.
aniela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:15 PM   #19 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

The targeted union plant was closed. It was in a small town and had pretty devastating effects on the community. The company tried to assist the company but I'm not sure on the extent.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:24 PM   #20 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I can tell you from working at law firms (no unions involved, of course), if the people on top want to save money, they sure as heck aren't going to take pay cuts, they're going to let employees go. The big law firm that laid me (and about 200 others) off starting in 2008 doesn't even exist anymore. They were eaten by a bigger firm. They may have been able to save themselves by returning profits to the firm (instead of splitting them among themselves) and taking paycuts at the partner and equity partner level, but most of them left and joined other firms to keep their huge salaries.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...signature2.jpg
marie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement