Any vegetarians here? - Page 4 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2012, 10:57 PM   #31 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Wow, we have a lot of vegetarians/vegans here.

I've been a vegetarian for about 5 years.

I was going to order a Tofurky for Thanksgiving and Christmas but failed to do so both times. I'm not a big fan of tofu but that's because I can't cook with it. I'm sure I would like the Tofurky.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:50 AM   #32 (permalink)
Cat Addict

i have lots of tofu recipes if you want any, scott. it's helpful if you have a wok but not absolutely necessary. i always feel surprised if someone doesn't like tofu because it just tastes like whatever you cook it with. now raw, i don't like either. i think it tastes like library paste. but if you cook it with onions, garlic, olive oil, cayenne pepper and soy sauce and then add your vegetables, the only way someone wouldn't like it is if they don't like any of those things or if they don't like the texture.

it doesn't seem like you have that much time to cook but only the prep really takes any time. and you know that you can cut it up in little pieces and put it in applesauce in the fridge overnight.
cinderflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:57 AM   #33 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderflower View Post
i have lots of tofu recipes if you want any, scott. it's helpful if you have a wok but not absolutely necessary. i always feel surprised if someone doesn't like tofu because it just tastes like whatever you cook it with. now raw, i don't like either. i think it tastes like library paste. but if you cook it with onions, garlic, olive oil, cayenne pepper and soy sauce and then add your vegetables, the only way someone wouldn't like it is if they don't like any of those things or if they don't like the texture.

it doesn't seem like you have that much time to cook but only the prep really takes any time. and you know that you can cut it up in little pieces and put it in applesauce in the fridge overnight.
I may have to buy some and try it with some veggies. It's been like 4 years since I've even attempted to cook with it and my culinary skills have much improved.

What do you think about this recipe? Chilled Tofu With Applesauce And Granola Recipe - Food.com - 208668

One of the comments mentions adding vanilla extract and I think that might be a good addition.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:05 AM   #34 (permalink)
Cat Addict

just try it sometime when you have an evening to cook. and it could be the type (maybe?). i prefer silken, and there's a firmer one that i'll eat but i usually get in restaraunt food, not because i buy it.

awhile back i saw some pre-flavored kinds, like smoked and almond and barbecue (okay i don't if it was really barbecue or if i'm making that up lol) but i haven't seen it lately. my preference is to buy plain things and add my own tastes. i feel like the less it's handled, the better it is. maybe. i don't know. it's less processed anyway.

i think that applesauce recipe sounds yummy. vanilla extract would be fine, honey if you wanted it sweeter, cardamom would probably work. i can't remember if it had lemon juice but i'd probably add a tbsp. of that to mine.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:43 AM   #35 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Lambs liver - sorry, I didn't realise how obscure I was being! Defiite mental lapse on my part!

I leave my car unlocked on the farm yard in case they need to move it and the farmer would sometimes leave meat (wrapped and not intended to deface) on the front seat as a present. My late father loved liver (I hate the stuff). It would be big enough to feed him and my aunt (who still loves it) plus the animals.
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:40 AM   #36 (permalink)
Cat

I don't think I know how to cook tofu right, lol. I've tried a few recipes and it didn't taste good...but I've liked it when others have cooked it. In the dishes I've made, the tofu tasted raw...it didn't take on any of the flavors of the soup or bean/onion mix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianwen View Post
I also really dislike the "fake meat" products - if I'm having a veggie dish then I want it to taste of vegetables or nuts or whatever.
I eat "fake meat" sparingly since I prefer fresh food over processed foods. Sadly, Veggie Burgers are one of the few things I can eat at restaurants in the area I'm in (besides salads and sides). There's a lot of great vegetarian food out there so I hope some of these chefs get a clue and explore their options when it comes to cooking vegetarian. I do get "Morningstar" products to keep in the fridge for home though...sometimes I don't feel like cooking or I just want a warm sandwich to dress with spinach and tomatoes. Veggie burgers help satisfy that craving, for me. I like the black bean ones the most...they don't taste anything like meat which is the way I like it.

Last edited by tigre86; 12-29-2012 at 09:43 AM.
tigre86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:38 PM   #37 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Real veggie burgers can be gorgeous - its the ones that try to imitate the taste and texture of meat that turn me off.
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:27 PM   #38 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottd View Post
now that i think about it scott, if i made this, i wouldn't mash the tofu and i wouldn't use firm. i would dice it into tiny pieces and not use the salt. for you, i recommend either doubling the applesauce or halving the tofu amount, just to kind of ease into it because you aren't sure how much you like it. i buy unsweetened applesauce, but i don't imagine you use splenda (nothing against it, but it's artificial and no one really knows. diabetics don't really have a choice except to stop eating sweets and that's another argument). that's why i said you could use honey. you can use molasses or what i use, which is grade B maple syrup. i think it's awesome, but the taste definitely differs from refined sugar. if you make it, why don't you leave out the nuts/granola and raisins at first and use diced tofu. then if the texture isn't for you (i like tapioca pudding, bubble tea, stuff with little bits in it) you can put it in the blender. and add the granola/nuts/raisins then, you wouldn't be grinding them up. and if you use table sugar or splenda, that's your business. i would make sure to leave it refrigerated at least 24 hours before eating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianwen View Post
Lambs liver - sorry, I didn't realise how obscure I was being! Defiite mental lapse on my part!

I leave my car unlocked on the farm yard in case they need to move it and the farmer would sometimes leave meat (wrapped and not intended to deface) on the front seat as a present. My late father loved liver (I hate the stuff). It would be big enough to feed him and my aunt (who still loves it) plus the animals.
OH lol. well i had no idea what that meant. no one has ever left liver on my car seat. i hate to admit this and most people will think it's disgusting, but i actually like chopped liver. and lox. going to seders after becoming vegetarian was always a challenge because almost everyone has chopped beef liver. now it doesn't make me sick to see or smell but most raw meat has a bad effect on me. cooked doesn't--if i'm having dinner with someone and they want to eat steak, that's their business. if they eat really rare and bloody, i just try not to look at their plate lol. thanks for clarifying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre86 View Post
I don't think I know how to cook tofu right, lol. I've tried a few recipes and it didn't taste good...but I've liked it when others have cooked it. In the dishes I've made, the tofu tasted raw...it didn't take on any of the flavors of the soup or bean/onion mix.
well it doesn't come with instructions. almost everyone i've met who doesn't like it (and wants to) has had no idea how versatile it is. it isn't that you have to cover up the taste, you just have to artfully blend it with other things to make it have a taste.

you could make marinara sauce (or buy it, whatever it is you do for spaghetti), dice it small, use a 25:75 ratio (more sauce) and leave it in a crock pot or refrigerator at least overnight. if you make your own sauce, you can do it like me and make the pieces bigger because i saute it first in olive oil with onions, garlic and basil, and then add it to the tomatoes and cook it 4-5 hours. or you can even crumble it up, use a taco seasoning packet, and make taco "meat", just prepare it the same way you would the hamburger. this is assuming you eat tacos. tbh, you can use it in any recipe you would use meat, like a beef stew, and do to it what you ordinarily do to the meat first.

Quote:
I eat "fake meat" sparingly since I prefer fresh food over processed foods. Sadly, Veggie Burgers are one of the few things I can eat at restaurants in the area I'm in (besides salads and sides). There's a lot of great vegetarian food out there so I hope some of these chefs get a clue and explore their options when it comes to cooking vegetarian. I do get "Morningstar" products to keep in the fridge for home though...sometimes I don't feel like cooking or I just want a warm sandwich to dress with spinach and tomatoes. Veggie burgers help satisfy that craving, for me. I like the black bean ones the most...they don't taste anything like meat which is the way I like it.
"fake meat" is a convenience for me as well. i'm pretty devoted to morningstar if anyone. i used to buy white wave seitan, then i found out how easy it is to make my own and started doing that. it's pretty expensive if buy it and really cheap to make. unfortunately, seitan isn't nearly as versatile as tofu. but on the upside, it has 18 grams of protein per 8 oz., 0 carbs, and 0 fat. so, for us senior citizens, it's a good thing to work in.

i can't make my own tofu but i love to eat edamame.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:53 PM   #39 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I occasionally eat Morningstar products too. I like the garden veggie veggie burgers. This is actually the same thing that Burger King uses. If you didn't know, BK does have a veggie burger. It's not on the menu but they sell it at every BK I've ever been to. It's not prepared with the other burgers, I've asked. BK is my go to for fast food (not that I eat it often) because of the veggie burger and unlike McDonalds their fries don't contain beef. Their "chik'n nuggets" are pretty good too but I always have issues finding them. I like them for lunch once or twice a month.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:28 PM   #40 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I'm not vegetarian although I am not much of a meat lover either lol. I did enjoy Morningstar Grillers when I was visiting the U.S. years ago. Sadly they aren't available in Canada. What I do love is Indian cuisine and there are loads of fantastic meatless recipes using lentils, beans, etc. I was born in England and was raised eating curries lol. Have any of you tried Marmite (brewers yeast extract)? http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marmite it's a great source of B complex vitamins. I'll warn you, it's a love it or hate it kinda food lol

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Yuki'sMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement