meat of the future - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2013, 02:44 AM   #11 (permalink)
Cat Addict

right now it is too expensive for them to market but i think that will change pretty soon. i'd never eat it, but just a heads up about soy: something like 70% of the soy crop is gmo (genetically engineered) so i have the same problem. i wouldn't eat in vitro meat mostly because i don't have a taste for meat, but in way, chromosome-wise, it might be better in the long-run than a gmo. i don't know. i slacked off on tofu and started eating more seitan, but i still like edamame.

after 37 years of it though, if i were going to turn into a big giant mutant from all the crazy soy (although i can't remember exactly when they started doing it) i think i probably would have by now.

i do like the idea of using it for cat food though, as long as it's safe. i can't afford to buy free-range organic meat for my cats. of course, it might end up being just as expensive.
cinderflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 10:43 AM   #12 (permalink)
Cat

It would take a while before I could be convinced the vitro meat is better than soy. I am too ignorant to care right now about GMO because my budget right now does not allow me to. I am vegetarian right now as it is, when I'm done school I plan on only buying natural things. The food industry does not care about me so I know it's up to myself to grow and prepare my own food- which I intend on doing in the future. As for soy I will probably keep eating it- I have a taste for those fake meats like tofurkey and PC brand's veggie food.

Cat food? Maybe.
OliverandCo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I don't think I could ever eat that.

That said, there are already too many people in the world for most to be picky about where their food comes from.

Here's a little excerpt from Wikipedia about modified wheat (another serious issue that's far more likely to happen than not), I think it address the main issue of this whole concept of laboratories providing food:
Those who argue against the adoption of transgenic wheat in human diet say that the reason the world has so many people is due to the second green revolution, where unsustainable agricultural practices have left us with more mouths to feed than the planet can safely and ecologically sustain.

Even if wheat is successful in feeding the current population using transgenic methods, the world will undergo another population explosion which will require even more drastic agricultural interventions, and with the coming crisis in oil shortages, there will not be enough fuel to make fertilizers, pesticides, or to drive the tractors, combines, transports, factories and distribution centres that modern agricultural methods have required.

Furthermore, to feed people transgenic wheat would introduce DNA changes in humans that no one will be able to predict. To introduce further changes much faster would not allow humans time to evolve side-by-side with the plants.

Along with the dogs Tara and Coco.
Carmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement