Do you remember your other pets beside Cats/Dogs? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 09:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Default Do you remember your other pets beside Cats/Dogs?

Some have told me, there's a difference between fish keeping and cats/dogs keeping because of the different level of attachments. You won't feel sad or even remember them when your fishes died, but it is different with a cat/dog, the attachment is stronger. I do agree to a certain point. After reading the post "Animal Hater...", I realised many have had or do have other pets other just cats/dogs, it just reminded me of my long deceased discus, we called him Ruscal. He's a very special fish that we bought from a breeder sometime in 2005 and died in 2008.

Initially we thought we bought a fighter. He will fight with every fish of his size and age, so much so we had to find another tank to keep him on his own. Then we decided to get some juvies and had no spare tank to keep them, so we left the juvies with Ruscal. To our surprise, he didn't attack the group of juvies. As the juvies grew, he started courting one of the female, a green turq and bore fries. He was so protective of the female and his fries, we gave him the "Best Hubby" and "Best Father" award.

He may be fierce and was a fighter, but he will protect any young fishes, anything smaller than him. He certainly protect his wife and babies well. When he came down with internal problem, we didn't gave up on him. We spent lots of money buying and trying all sorts of medication to get him back to health. When I realised he isn't going to get well, we actually use our mind to communicate with him, telling him to let go and did a prayer, cos he is really suffering and there is not much else we can do to help him regain his health. Days later, we found him dead, UPRIGHT, not lying flat on his side like most dead fish do. We checked his gill, confirmed he was dead. I was sad for at least a week. I do remember him well till now. This is a pict of him.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 09:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Awe Hes so pretty. One of my friends breeds these. I think attachment can come with any animal personally. When I went to school in a another state I had to leave my ball python named Louis with a friend and I later found out he and several of my other friends snakes died from a batch of sick mice... I was devastated... completely... Louis was an awesome snake. He wasnt head shy like most ball pythons are and he never struck at me.. not even once. He was a good eater too and loved hanging out outside of his cage. I will say yes I cried over a snake...

Another attachment I had was when I worked at a pet store. There was a cage with 3 gerbils in it and I noticed one of them was getting beat up all the time.. Well I found her all huddled and lethargic one day and I felt so bad for her. I took her home by her self and for a week I tried to nurse her back to health. Syringe fed her baby food and a special critical care mix for small animals from the vet because she didnt get up and move at all just slept. I even had to syringe feed her water. Well after a few days I noticed her perk up. She was able to go get water from the bottle on her own and eat regular seeds on her own. Long story short she became healthy again.. A speedy little **** who would never get out of her wheel Yes I spent CRAZY amounts of my time including in the middle of the night to save a GERBIL.... I got made so much fun of at the store but I didnt care. I wanted to save her and I did. Good deed for the year it was for me

Also used to have little mice... Yea I had pet mice that I DID NOT feed to my snake but yet I still fed my snake mice Heres a pic of them:

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Zilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Ive contemplated getting a couple mice again just for the cats to sit and watch for entertainment... When Godzilla was a kitten he loved watching my betta fish.

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Zilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tom Cat

My boyfriend and I started with a 40 gallon tank with cichlids. One of our favorite guys, Bruce, got sick and ended up dying. When our fish got sick, they got sick quick and died within a few days. My boyfriend and I were very upset. He was a red top hongi and very entertaining.

We moved the rest of the fish (6 in total) to a 75 gallon tank because they were getting too big. One of the fish was a red devil cichlid, Dexter, that I saved from being killed by the other red devils in the tank at the store. When my boyfriend and I moved to California we had to give the rest of them up (two died, Kairi a peacock cichlid and Roxas, an Acei cichlid, I cried both times).

Before my boyfriend and I moved to California, we had to make a decision. Either we could try to move the remaining four fish, Dexter, Rufus (Jewel), Geri (Convict) and Cloud (Johanni) and risk them dying, or give them up to good homes. We found a home for Rufus and Cloud, but no one wanted Dexter because he was very mean or Geri. We took them back to the pet store and they had to put Dexter in the turtle tank.

I still miss that guy so much. He was so entertaining, I could watch him for hours on end. I really wish we could have brought him with us. But when we moved out here we got Gus, our Oscar, and he is a little joy.

I really do miss Dexter, and although I don't know if he is dead or alive, it is like he is dead to me as I have no idea where he is.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I had a hamster named Mocha that was with me when I was in the dorm. Mocha loved to beg for doritos, oreos, whatever she could get her little paws on and would stuff it in her cheek then look at you like 'all done' and want more, LOL! Cheeky little bugger! She came down with a mass that left her seletal like and I was on vacation when it happened. I rushed her to the emergency vet the day I got back to get her put down. She was 2 1/2 and the sweetest little thing. My sister and I cried when she was put down, it was the first animal I had to make that decision for. I have had another syrian since that I had to put down at the age of 2 because she had a mass on her leg that opened to a gaping wound. And cried again.

RIP Mocha and Aurora, they were the greatest little hamsters ever!
3gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat Addict

So many - I had goldfish to whom I poured out my troubles (and I still remember their names) - a pet toad I loved to bits and who would come when I called (even though I know they are deaf) - hedgehogs, my much, much beloved jackdaws, hamsters, rabbits and loads of others - even foxes and a bat.
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cat

Yes I started the Animal Hater thread.

I'd have to say it really depends on the person more so then the animal. With pets that aren't cats and dogs I think the attachment is different but it can be just as strong. When I was a teen my dad got a tarantula that he became really attached to. It died after a couple years and even though I'm mid twenties now he won't get another tarantula because he misses the one he had. She was pretty awesome (at least we thought she was a she). She even let me hold her sometimes.

Even though other pets are different they still are individuals in their own way, you can tell if you pay attention.

Sorry you loss'd your discus. It was really pretty and sounded like an awesome pet.

JustOneMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I remember every single one that passed through my hands.
The hermit crab from Chincoteague Island.

White mouse, hamsters, guinea pigs.

Birds: Budgies, cockatiels, parrots, wild birdie fosters, a canary I smuggled onto a cross-country flight and who decided to sing in my totebag at my feet, and chickens including Roscoe and Esmerelda, my song and dance act.

A hawk that greeted me every morning in the tree by the stable, then brought the chicks one day, great horned owls who included me in the evening call. Ravens who
like to sit on the roof and bang on the gutters, and a roadrunner who comes to steal the cat food. I do not claim affection for the skunks who do the same thing.

Tiny red-eared slider turtles back in the 60s, who really didn't fare very well. I was 6 and nobody told me how to care for them Black snakes in the stable I named and chatted with.

Fish of many varieties, though the koi were the ones I related to the best. Had one grow from a fingerling to a monster over 2-1/2 feet. We had to find a pond for him as he outgrew the giant aquarium he'd grown up in.

Dogs of various breeds and sizes, including many rescues on their way from here to there.

Horses. Many, many horses.

May these memories never leave me
Old 01-05-2013, 05:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cat

I just realized I didn't answer the question. Yes I remember all of my pets. I remember the snake I had and the tarantula I had and the one my dad owned. I remember all of my pets.

Now If you count the mice I bred to feed to my snake (which I don't count) then I guess I'd have to say no.

JustOneMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Of all the stupid things, I forgot to mention the horses!!!

Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement