Victory! Obama Signs Defense Bill That Will Save Animals' Lives - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2013, 05:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Default Victory! Obama Signs Defense Bill That Will Save Animals' Lives

I have no good things to say about PETA but this press release was just issued. And I'm not a big fan of Obama either but at least he did something I can support!

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals
NORFOLK, VIRGINIA (PETA-press release) - The year has just begun, but already 2013 has seen an exciting first for animals! President Barack Obama has just signed into law a bill that requires the Department of Defense (DOD) to create a strategy for replacing the shooting, stabbing, and dismembering of animals in military training drills with non-animal methods. This is the first time in history that Congress has passed a bill that seeks to protect animals from being abused in military training exercises.

Last year, people were outraged when PETA released disturbing, never-before-seen undercover footage showing live goats as they were stabbed, had their organs yanked out, and had their limbs broken and cut off with tree trimmers during a military training drill, all while the animals moaned and kicked.

Multitudes of you contacted your representatives demanding that these archaic forms of "training" end and that the abusers who were caught on video be held accountable. You won. Under a provision in the newly signed National Defense Authorization Act, the secretary of defense has less than two months to present Congress with a strategy for phasing out the use of animals in trauma training. And the people who were caught on camera abusing goats were cited for violations of the Animal Welfare Act.

~Merry~

With my eyes, they will be seen...With my voice, they will be heard....
With my hands, they will know comfort...With my action, they will be free...
~TNR and Rescue changes lives of animals.~

When the angels are busy God sends rescuers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 05:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Oliver Stone Exposes Horrific Military Training Video - YouTube

Dont watch this video by Oliver Stone if abuse bothers you. But this is what got the ball rolling to ban abuse to animals during military drills.

~Merry~

Old 01-08-2013, 07:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I never knew that this was going on. Thank goodness for the bill to protect animals, but I can not believe that anyone ever thought this was a good idea.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
Old 01-09-2013, 01:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cat Addict

OMG I had no idea either, and I'll bet most people don't - in large part because the military clearly knew it wasn't kosher and hence kept it secret. This time, PETA got it right.

For what type of training exactly are these procedures necessary??
Old 01-09-2013, 03:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I chickened out of watching the film but I am so glad this bill ahs been passed.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Im sure they use it to desensitize soldiers.

~Merry~

Old 01-12-2013, 02:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I never knew or heard about this, ever. No I could never watch a video that shows abuse to any animal. Thank you Mr. President.

"Happy is the home with at least one cat" - Italian Proverb

Old 01-13-2013, 01:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cat

that's awesome! I can't even read descriptions of animal cruelty, much less watch videos, so clearly I didn't click the video..
Old 01-13-2013, 06:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Talking

Thank you Obama! And thank you PETA! I can't watch the video either, I'd just end up crying, hugging and squeezing my pets like there's no tomorrow.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purring_Kitties View Post
Thank you Obama! And thank you PETA! I can't watch the video either, I'd just end up crying, hugging and squeezing my pets like there's no tomorrow.
while peta was "on the right side of the fence" on this issue, they deserve no thanks for their treatment of animals.
Quote:
In 2011, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) impounded 760 dogs. They killed 713 of them. Only 19 were adopted. An additional 36 of them were transferred to kill “shelters” where their fates and the fates of those animals they displaced are unknown. In 2011, they impounded 1,211 cats. 1,198 were put to death. A paltry 5 of them were adopted and another 8 were transferred to kill “shelters” where their fates and the fates of those animals they displaced are unknown. They also took in 58 other companion animals, including rabbits. 54 were put to death. Only 4 were adopted. All told, 2,029 companion animals were impounded. 1,965 were put to death. Only 28 were placed in homes. That’s a 97% rate of killing. If the animals transferred to kill shelters were themselves killed or displaced other animals who were then killed to take in the ones from PETA, the death toll could be as high as 99% (2,009 of the 2,029 animals they impounded). Only 1% were adopted into homes.
here is an excellent article on the lead executioner - Douglas Anthony Cooper: Ingrid Newkirk's Death Wish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread