New law passed regarding potential tenants with cats and dogs - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 03:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default New law passed regarding potential tenants with cats and dogs

This is not a thread about declawing, it's about idiot landlords:

Quote:
California Gov. Jerry Brown signed Senate Bill 1229 Wednesday [September 2012], which prohibits landlords from refusing occupancy to a potential tenant with pets that are not declawed or devocalized. The bill, sponsored by Sen. Fran Pavley, D-Agoura Hills, and co-sponsored by the Paw Project and the Humane Society Veterinary Medical Association, recently passed in the State Senate by a unanimous vote of 37 to 0.

The new law also makes it illegal for landlords to advertise properties in such a way that discourages potential tenants from applying if their animals are not declawed or devocalized. The law will impose a civil penalty of $1,000 per pet for any person found in violation of these provisions. The measure does not stop landlords from enforcing “no pets” policies.
Former Governor Arnold Schwarzenweiner vetoed this bill in 2010 when it reached his office.

If you don't want to allow pets, I understand that, but either allow them or not, don't have "conditions."

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...signature2.jpg
marie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 05:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

There is nothing worse than an unrestrained law maker. I agree, either allow pets or not, but don't have conditions.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73 View Post
If you don't want to allow pets, I understand that, but either allow them or not, don't have "conditions."
I agree with the "no conditions"...but I'm confused. Isn't that in fact what this new law is saying? That is, in the future, either a landlord allows pets or doesn't allow pets...but landlords are no longer allowed to impose a declaw/devocalise condition. For that reason, they can't refuse to rent to someone whose pets are NOT declawed or devocalized, and they can't advertise to discourage such people from applying. At least, that's my interpretation of what you posted...perhaps I'm mistaken.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan View Post
I agree with the "no conditions"...but I'm confused. Isn't that in fact what this new law is saying? That is, in the future, either a landlord allows pets or doesn't allow pets...but landlords are no longer allowed to impose a declaw/devocalise condition. For that reason, they can't refuse to rent to someone whose pets are NOT declawed or devocalized, and they can't advertise to discourage such people from applying. At least, that's my interpretation of what you posted...perhaps I'm mistaken.
Yes, it is saying that, Marie73 and I are merely stating that the law was dumb to start with and now needs ANOTHER law. Dum.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I hate that places around here do that. When I tell them I have cats, if they say they have to be declawed, j just say ok thanks and walk out. Not interested in renting from anyone that advocates to disfigure animals
3gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

There are pros and cons to this law...on one hand it won't encourage someone to get their cat declawed in order to live in a certain place. On the other, the landlords will now just say 'no pets' reducing the pool of apartments that allow pets and creating more competition for those that do.

Not sure if this will benefit the cats or not...sure it will reduce the number of declaws or it may increase the number of shelter surrenders.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cat

it's illegal to declaw your cat in Los Angeles county.
those landlords are outta luck!

and WHAT in the world are they talking about "de-vocalized"?!? Do people do that to their pets? It sounds like mutilation.

and yes, I just realized this thread is from a month ago. ah well.
CalyxTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cool Cat

There's a new law in Ontario... I don't have links but read it on the news where landlords can't refuse to rent to you if you have a pet. So basically anyone renting an apartment can rent anywhere. If a landlord says no you can go to the tenant board or whatever and make a complaint. Also if you move in have no pets but the next day bring home 4 cats, they can't say boo about it. Also they have no right to tell you to declaw your cat... That's absurd.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
3furbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I'm also interested in what the heck is devocalize??

I wish there was a law like that ^^^ everywhere. Saying you can't live in a certain apartment just because you have pets is like saying someone else couldn't live there because they have kids!! I'm gonna open an apartment complex that doesn't allow children and see how people feel. No offense but I think kids are more damaging to properties then some pets are! Haha are you talking Ontario as in Canada?? Or Ontario CA??

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Zilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I think landlords DO have the right to say no pets. It's their property, and I've seen first hand the conditions bad pet owners have left places in.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...signature2.jpg
marie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement