Great trip to the pet store - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2013, 01:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Default Great trip to the pet store

Just thought I would share a great experience I had tonight.

I ran out of cat food (finally, no more Innova dry) and the closest place I knew of that had Taste of the Wild was called For Pets Only in Hollywood. It is not too far from me, but far enough that my boyfriend and I didn't want to brave the traffic in Los Angeles. I have never really loved For Pets Only, but I thought I didn't have a choice. They have a pretty good selection, but the employees are the worst. No one has ever asked me if I needed help and they never wanted to talk when I was checking out.

I searched for pet stores on our way to Hollywood and found one that was really close. I am not super familiar with LA since I just moved here in August, but we decided to go to a store a little closer. I called the store and asked if they had TOTW and they said yes, so we were on our way.

The selection is quite small, but they have all of the good types of food (Wellness, Evo, TOTW ect). I didn't see any Purina or cheap brands. This store is also a groomer, so it makes sense that they don't have a huge selection.

The greatest part of all was how nice the guy working there was. He answered my questions and showed me around. He didn't badger me to buy the more expensive stuff.

I ended up with three 5.5oz cans of Wellness for $1.76 a pieces (awesome price) a 5lb bag of TOTW ($12.99) and a yeowww catnip cigar (which both kits LOVE).

On top of that, the guy gave me two big samples of Evo and two smaller samples of Wellness. Plus he had the cutest dog named Merlin!

I have to say that this was the best trip to a pet store I have ever had and I will definitely be going back.

Catts and Doggs

Old 02-13-2013, 03:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Seems like a great place. Typical pet store, though. You click on "Appointment" and it asks for your dog's name. I guess it'll always be that way, places catering way more to dogs than cats. Except Doodlebug's store, of course.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...signature2.jpg
marie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Default Great trip to the pet store

I think it also makes a difference when it's a smaller/privately owned store rather than a franchise. Franchises often have people working in them just to have a job, they don't really care about the store or its customers. That's my experience anyways.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 02-13-2013, 03:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Hey, at least Catts get top billing at this place!

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...signature2.jpg
marie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Premier Cat

That is great you found such a wonderful store! Take a few minutes and write a letter to the management telling about your experience. Management always hears about bad experiences, but I love to tell them about exceptional service and employees, too! They get positive feedback so rarely!
Old 02-13-2013, 11:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73 View Post
Seems like a great place. Typical pet store, though. You click on "Appointment" and it asks for your dog's name. I guess it'll always be that way, places catering way more to dogs than cats. Except Doodlebug's store, of course.
I saw that, but I get it. There aren't a lot of owners who take their cats to be groomed. Actually, there aren't a lot of dog owners that take their dogs to be groomed when they should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by love.my.cats View Post
I think it also makes a difference when it's a smaller/privately owned store rather than a franchise. Franchises often have people working in them just to have a job, they don't really care about the store or its customers. That's my experience anyways.
Completely agree. There are a few people at the Petco here that are nice and competent and want to help, but the rest of them couldn't care less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73 View Post
Hey, at least Catts get top billing at this place!
I know! They had some really great products!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia View Post
That is great you found such a wonderful store! Take a few minutes and write a letter to the management telling about your experience. Management always hears about bad experiences, but I love to tell them about exceptional service and employees, too! They get positive feedback so rarely!
I am pretty sure the guy who was working owns the place. He was dressed quite nice and was in his mid-late 30s. He just seemed like he owned the place. But I am going to give them a great review on google and yelp and send an email or letter to them letting them know what a great experience I had.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Sounds like a great place!

I recently found a local(ish) place that I'm really pleased with, too - more of a selection of higher quality brands than the chain stores, and a slightly lower price, too.

As for asking for the name of the dog... it does make sense that dogs are more likely to come in for grooming, but at the same time it would be a very simple change to merely ask for "pet" and not "dog," and avoid the whole issue. Still, that's minor, and overall it sounds like a really positive experience.

I'm glad you found a place you feel comfortable shopping! It's important to have that, given the amount of supplies cat ownership requires.

The Boys: Maisie (age 9, adopted 2007,) Zephyr (age 7, adopted 2006,)
and Bentley (age 3, adopted 2013)
Blakeney Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement