Gardens - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

I do! I love preserving. The last 3 years I've made all the pasta sauce we eat, and about 3/4 of the salsa too. Along with lots of low sugar jams. I make some pickles too, and now that I've got a pressure canner I'll be able to make shelf-stable pickles rather than ones that have to be kept in the fridge only.

Becky and the cats: Jitzu (11), Torri (9), Doran (8 ), and Muffin (8 )
The boys at 8 - not lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 01:57 PM
Premier Cat

Yum! I once got a jar of cherry jam from a farmers' market. It went fast! Now only homemade will do...

There's a farmers market right here in Ytown. They come set up every Saturday morning! The best local farmers' market, though, is Whitehouse Fruit Farm in Canfield.

Watered my shroomies again last night. Guess I have to be patirnt...
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 10:53 PM
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarychick View Post
One thing you can always do is grate them, then add it to pasta sauces or make zucchini bread throughout the year. Mmmmm. It's also great for sneaking past people who won't eat zucchini as it's undetectable in both forms.
Sneaky! I like it

I ended up wandering through the garden centre at the store over the weekend.. Slim pickings but I grabbed a few things. Just hoping for the best now. Beefsteak and Roma tomatoes, cucumber, sage, lemon balm and oregano.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

I think I'll be going to the superstore garden centre tomorrow, a little bird told me everything is 40% off. Tools and supplies too!

The boys at 8 - not lol
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 03:53 PM
Premier Cat

Do you have to use fertilizer or bagged soil to grow decent veggies, etc? It's frowned upon at the community garden.

Also, last year my peppers weren't that great. But new peppers have started growing where I planted the old ones last year, and they're thriving!

Can you get tomatoes in this time of year?
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 06:29 AM
Kitten

I've use fertilizer on and off over the years. Can't say I personally see much difference. Some people swear by it, others prefer all natural, like your community garden it seems. I think they may be trying to keep from over fertilizing though? Maybe ask if you can use the fertilizer sticks that go in the dirt directly around only your plants. Then watering only pulls the nutrients down to your roots and shouldn't affect anyone else's plants.

Bagged soil I use to top up my gardens each year, a mix of black earth and sometimes peatmoss. The snow tends to really compact everything. Or to refill pots after removing the previous year's plants. I think so long as your patch is well tilled and the roots can grow your plants will manage.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 01:05 PM
Cat Addict

Rhubarb doing really well - cherries being depleted by birds and neighbour's kids! Potatoes thriving but I was slow planting so not lifting them yet. Trees taking over, currants not ripening. Some herbs going mad - others not so well.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 07:10 PM
Premier Cat

I luv rhubarb pie!

Does any one near you plant corn?
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 12:53 PM
Premier Cat

Gotta go water my mushrooms. Heck, aren't they supposed to be grown in a CAVE or something? Someplace cool and moist. It's 90f, today.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Well I've certainly gotten behind! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemilk View Post
I luv rhubarb pie!
Me too! Strawberry rhubarb is my favorite version. My favorite pie overall is cherry pie, made with tart cherries. A tree that is very good locally is the Evan's Cherry, and the pies you can make with those re AMAZING.

Quote:
Does any one near you plant corn?
I've tried it, but it only got about 3 feet tall, then made the tiniest most useless ears.

However, the person who is my garden neighbor has corn that's as tall as I am (5'10) and seems to be doing great! I have no idea how she does it, everyone else who's planted corn this year has stalks a foot or more shorter than hers.

Quote:
Gotta go water my mushrooms. .
My goodness! We've got mushrooms all over the place right now because it's been so wet - rain every night for weeks now. I don't know for sure that they're edible, so I'm not going to chance it though.

I'd love to see a picture of how yours are coming along.

Quote:
Do you have to use fertilizer or bagged soil to grow decent veggies, etc?
I've gotten lucky the past two years and have been able to get organic composted manure in big loads for my garden. If I didn't have that I don't know what I'd do, because our community garden is strictly organic only!

My tomatoes are just coming up now. I've had a few cherry tomatoes, and there's some good fat big ones on my other vines, I'll take pictures and post sometime this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billie116 View Post
think so long as your patch is well tilled and the roots can grow your plants will manage.
I've had good luck with mulching before the last snow - then the soil is still fluffy and easy to work with no digging in the spring. I'm trying to get to a no-dig garden method, but I've got too much quack grass I need to get a handle on first.

Hopefully with diligent mulching, and digging it out each spring and fall, I'll be able to get on top of it. I have a lot less on the plot that I've had for 3 years than the one I just took over, so at least I'm making a dent! lol

The boys at 8 - not lol

Last edited by marie73; 09-30-2016 at 04:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page