Gardens - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Gardens

I completely missed the fact that we don't have a gardening thread yet this year!

Well, here's a quick tour of my community garden plot, which I was lucky enough to double this year. It's 20 feet wide, and 26 feet long.

The right side of my plot - from the near left to the near right: Strawberries and asparagus (planted this year), Mini Butternut Squash, scarlet runner beans, tri color bush beans, tomatoes (soooo many tomatoes, each in their own little mini DIY greenhouse), the herb bed (whcih you definitely can't see behind the tomatoes), kid garden with peas and more runner beans, on the far right. Variegated zucchinis, a mixed scatter planted bed of turnips, carrots, beets, swiss chard, and then gold and green zucchinis, and a rhubarb.

The left side, from front left: (you can't really see, but I have more strawberries, garlic and lettuce interplanted, then sets of onions and lettuce interplanted, then the hoop frame) In no particular order, a mess of weed, rows of carrots, daikon radish, lettuce, kale (which has not come up...), spinach, turnips, broccoli raab, kholrabi, cabbage. At the front, which you can't really see I've got Acorn Squash and Pattison Panache (UFO summer squash). Then the peppers, an empty space, mixed leftover onions and leeks at the far right (which I completely mixed up when planting them in, lol), then the tomatoes (which are one big long row across most of the plot), a watermelon (I thought I'd give a shot, since it's supposed to be a hot long summer), onions and chard, onions and lettuce, different onions and lettuce. The middle row has a little patch of marigolds and sunflowers, then peas, garlic which I just interplanted with beets, and a few different varieties of cucumber which I've seeded and transplanted with NO luck at least 4 times now.

Better pictures of some of the individual beds:

Herbs, with the yummy purple sage front and center

Lettuces and onions interplanted - The onions I started from seed are currently kicking the pants off of the ones I started from sets. They're much more vigorous, seem healthier, and despite being planted later and woefully mistreated they ALL took after transplanting. I'm very interested to see if the harvest is better from the sets or starts.

A view from the front of the peppers, with the tomatoes in the background. I won't be heartbroken if I get no peppers, these are very much an experiment as Ive had absolutely no luck with peppers no matter where I get them from, how I plant them, and anything else I've tried. *shrugs*

Runner beans on the kid garden lattice, they've been loving our alternately wet and sunny weather.

At the back you can see my TONS of garlic that's doing super well. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it'll work nicely with the beets I seeded in this past week - my plan is that by the time the beets need the room the garlic will be ready to pull. We shall see. At the front is the swiss chard (which had a rough go with transplanting, I abused those poor little suckers, but now that they've taken they've sprung up a good 2 inches in 3 days!), then a more different view of the lettuce and onions. I will say that everywhere I planted with lettuce and onions both plants are pretty happy - they seem to get along quite well.

And that's all the fun stuff currently going on at my garden. Anyone else up for giving a tour? I'd love to see how well things are growing for you guys.

Becky and the cats: Jitzu (11), Torri (9), Doran (8 ), and Muffin (8 )
The boys at 8 - not lol

Last edited by marie73; 06-28-2016 at 03:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 03:59 PM
Premier Cat

WOWZA!

Beans, lettuce, STRAWBERRIES!

Funny thing. My peppers weren't exactly Martha grade, last year. BUT... the peppers that have grown in their place are coming along nicely!

I LUV garden grown onions! Just salt them and eat them fresh!

My shroomies are due for a good watering...
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 06:54 PM
Premier Cat

WOW! Just beautiful librarychick!

I'm a failure at veggie gardening so I turning my garden in to a bee and butterfly garden! Pics later.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 03:08 PM
Premier Cat

Great, Marcia! A pollinator hangout! We need em... Er how did the day go, have fun?
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 01:37 PM
Kitten

Your garden looks like it's off to a great start! So many yummies to look forward to
Sadly I was in the middle of moving, and out of the country for some time, when I should have been planting, so no garden for me this year. Looking forward to seeing some others' grow!

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia View Post
WOW! Just beautiful librarychick!

I'm a failure at veggie gardening so I turning my garden in to a bee and butterfly garden! Pics later.
Oooh! I think that's what I'm going to be doing in my front yard, at least a bit. It's silly, because our front yard is south facing, so it should be a great place for food to grow...but I haven't ever had much success.

There's a raised bed I put in a few years back that I'm hoping will start doing better now that we've taken out the lilac bushes that were encroaching. In the bed I put strawberries and blueberries, as well as the garlic that's been there the past few years. I'm working on creating my own localized garlic variety (which is not nearly as hard as it sounds ), so that's also my test-bed.

I love lilacs, and was sad to see them go...but MAN were they ever eating our lawn and garden! The deal was, my SO said I could have 2 fruit trees if I ditched the lilacs - so I'm getting an apple and I think a plum. Underneath I want a little wild flower patch - all native species, and hardy ones, ideally.

You can still plant some things! Carrots, peas, and beans are all short season crops, 60 days from planting to harvest usually. You could even get some potatoes in big pots and get a decent harvest of baby potatoes. I completely think that's worth it - there's nothing like potatoes fresh from the garden...yum! (My Irish is showing )

You could definitely still get zucchini in too, those things produce like crazy! And lettuce and swiss chard.

I can't stand Swiss Chard from the grocery store, it just tastes terrible and has an awful texture that coats your teeth - YUCK! But freshly picked garden chard is one of my very favorite foods. Once my plants start producing I eat it most days in the summer

Ok, SOME of you must have pictures to share! I don't care if it's a single flower you found on a walk, the little collection of flowers or herbs in a pot...I want some pics people!

The boys at 8 - not lol

Last edited by marie73; 09-30-2016 at 04:48 AM.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 04:25 PM
Premier Cat

You can still plant some things! Carrots, peas, and beans are all short season crops, 60 days from planting to harvest usually. You could even get some potatoes in big pots and get a decent harvest of baby potatoes. I completely think that's worth it - there's nothing like potatoes fresh from the garden...yum! (My Irish is showing )

Ay, and DON'T potaters fresh from the garden blow all others out of the water!

A friend who just opened a restaurant semi-specializes in loaded baked potatoes. He's got potato propaganda, too! Apparently they're really good for you...
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 04:49 PM
Kitten

You are certainly correct. Could definitely go for some garden fresh carrots mmm. Although there's no guarantee that I still have 60 days frost free here (Oh Canada!)
The neighbour ended up filling the beds with flowers since he noticed we weren't using them hehe I'll just have to dig my pots out of storage from my apartment days.

I had one zucchini plant two years ago, first attempt. It produced a good dozen or more, football sized goodies for us. Ended up giving most of the neighbours one, as my SO at the time decided he didn't like them after all, and it was wayyy too much for just me! I don't have the space for it at this house right now, but it's definitely something I plan on in the future.

Last edited by marie73; 07-09-2016 at 04:18 PM.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billie116 View Post
Although there's no guarantee that I still have 60 days frost free here (Oh Canada!)
You and me both! I'm in Edmonton, AB - Zone 3b.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billie116 View Post
I had one zucchini plant two years ago, first attempt. It produced a good dozen or more, football sized goodies for us.
One thing you can always do is grate them, then add it to pasta sauces or make zucchini bread throughout the year. Mmmmm. It's also great for sneaking past people who won't eat zucchini as it's undetectable in both forms.

The boys at 8 - not lol

Last edited by marie73; 09-30-2016 at 04:47 AM.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 04:08 PM
Premier Cat

Do you make homemade jams, LC?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page