My stereo won't recognize a CD and play it... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2005, 12:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Default My stereo won't recognize a CD and play it...

OK...I have a 3-disc changer stereo with radio and double tape deck. I used to use it all the time, literally 4-5 hours a day. I haven't had a lot of free time to just sit and listen to CDs lately so I was shocked this morning when I went to put some Christmas music in the CD player and it won't recognize anything, on any of the 3 trays. My first thought was that the lens probably just needed cleaning so I bought a CD lens cleaner tonight. I came home and tried putting it in to do the job and the CD player won't even recognize the cleaner.

Now what the heck do I do? Does this mean the CD player is a goner? I've had this CD player for at least 10 years and paid more for a 3-disc changer than I would for a brand new 5-disc changer now. Does anyone know about the cost of electronics repair and if it would pay to get the CD portion of the stereo fixed or should I just go out and by a new stereo?

Man! This is not exactly the kind of problem I wanted to run into right before Christmas. Not only that, we just got our property taxes bill and it went up $300 as compared to last year - YIKES!

Jesus Is The Answer
ŠPrecious Moments

We cannot change the cards we are dealt,
just how we play the hand. Randy Pausch
2kids3cats4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2005, 12:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Being ten years old, it's probably not worth fixing.

I saw some really nice deals on stereos tonight at Sears. Is yours a microsystem or a bookshelf stereo system?
Padunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 12:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Premier Cat

It happened once with my CD player. I just unplugged it and let it sit for a week. Then it returned to normal.

I never found out what was wrong with it.
roseeden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 12:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I'm not sure what you mean by microsystem versus bookshelf, but if it has anything to do with the size of the system mine is a pretty good size with detachable speakers. I put the stereo inside the entertainment center that houses our TV, DVR, and VCR and the speakers sit on the floor on either side of the entertainment center.

I was afraid of hearing how it might not be worth fixing. Even though stereos are cheaper now than they were 10 years ago spending that kind of money to replace it is just not something I wanted to do right now. The little bit that I could find on the Internet about troubleshooting for stereos said that the problem I'm having is either a dirty lens (but I tried the lens cleaner and it won't work) or something about a broken "diode" or something. If it is the latter problem I guess that the best option is to buy new because fixing those gets really expensive.

The CD tray is front-loading versus opening from the top. Is it possible for me to be able to just take apart the CD player from the top, find the lens and see if cleaning it with an alcohol swap will help or do I risk irreparable damage by doing that?

Jesus Is The Answer
ŠPrecious Moments

Old 12-19-2005, 01:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I don't know anything about fixing a stereo so I can't help there. It sounds to me like you have a bookshelf system. Microsystems are very compact, but sound almost as good as the kind you have. (some even better.)

You can get a pretty good replacement stereo for under $150, easily. You can even find them as low as $60-$70 if you don't mind an off-brand.
Padunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 01:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cat Addict

If there is something on the lens that doesn't come off easily that could be the culprit. However there are other factors. The motor that spins the disc could be dead or weak. There could be trouble with the electronic circuitry. The laser lens may have gone out of alignment. If it doesn't work you really don't have anything to lose by opening up the player and swabbing the lens with a cotton swab and alcohol. Just make sure you do it with the power off and be gentle with the lens. Use a dry swab to wipe off any remaining alcohol after you clean the lens and make sure there is no debris from the swab left on the lens. Depending on the player, the lens may not be accessible without more disassembly or turning on the power and opening the tray.

Good luck.

Richo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 12:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Do you have a Bose system?

I tried to buy one. Man they are expensive.
roseeden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 01:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by shengmei
Do you have a Bose system?

I tried to buy one. Man they are expensive.
Nope, it's a Sony. I've always bought Sony stereo products.

Jesus Is The Answer
ŠPrecious Moments

Old 12-19-2005, 04:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kids3cats4me
Nope, it's a Sony. I've always bought Sony stereo products.
I had a Sony Boombox with detachable speakers do the same thing some 8 years ago. It was a system I bought in 1992 and it gave me fits around 1998 or so. As much as you do not wish to hear this, just find something new. It is not worth paying to fix.

If you are somewhat mechanically proficient, you could always disassemble the unit and see if the laser has a tiny screw used by service techs to change the laser focus. But basically do this after you have given up all hope.
Donaldjr1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement