Cooking oil advantages/disadvantages? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2006, 11:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Default Cooking oil advantages/disadvantages?

Switching from butter to some unsaturated vegetable type and wondering what works. I like Parkay margerine too, but gets hard at room temp so clogs up the arteries too.

Olive Oil is what I used this morning, but the taste is not to my liking, so I used the Louisiana Hot Sauce to cover it. It also seems to pop alot, splattering everywhere.

Just wondering what works best and what I need to consider, like the choices, corn, sunflower, safflower, and the advantages/disadvantages.
Cat Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2006, 11:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Default Re: Cooking oil advantages/disadvantages?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Daddy
Olive Oil is what I used this morning, but the taste is not to my liking, so I used the Louisiana Hot Sauce to cover it. It also seems to pop alot, splattering everywhere.
What type of olive oil did you use? Was it extra-virgin, light, etc? Cheap olive oil can have a sort of chemical taste. A good quality oil tastes much better. Also, what were you cooking? Olive oil doesn't taste right with every food.

Canola oil is also low in saturated fats and doesn't have any overpowering flavors.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Great Value(Big BoxMart) light tasting, but I am going to a Vegetable based one instead because I have had other Olive Oil that tasted icky, but it was probally not the good stuff either, Pam, No-Stick Spray stuff, real icky as I remember.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Yes, cheap olive oil is shnasty. Also, you only have to use a tiny amount, maybe you used too much?? What were you using it to cook?

If you like hot, there is a Wasabi Olive Oil that is yummy!
The Cat Whisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 12:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Oh man... Alton Brown just did a show on deep-frying where he covered information on all kinds of oils. I wish I could remember all of the info.

Well, anyway, I use canola oil for basic frying and pan lubrication. I use extra virgin olive oil for frying italian foods (like chicken parmesan) and salad dressings. For grilled cheese sandwiches, butter is your only option.
Annissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 12:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I use red seasame oil. It is extremely expensive, but I don't cook a lot. I buy it in bulk to save money.
roseeden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 12:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I use about 2 tble spoons for the hash browns and 1 for the scrammbled eggs. Probally way too much, but the hot sauce worked in this case.

Salmon was the last thing I used the olive oil on, and that was so bad the cats didn't share in on it, probally used too much here too.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Daddy
Great Value(Big BoxMart) light tasting

Cheap olive oil would turn anyone off. No wonder you didn't like the taste. Pass the hot sauce, please!!

Decent olive oil doesn't have to cost a fortune. Look for a product that is extra-virgin, first cold press. If it comes from Italy, all the better!! My store often has one brand on sale. Remember, you are not deep frying in it -- you only need a tablespoon or so for pan sauteing.

A really good trick is to cook in one tablespoon of olive oil combined with one tablespoon of butter. Not as healthy as the oil alone, but delicious!!

A quality olive oil can also be used for salad dressing or for dipping a chuck of good bread. Yum!!
Old 01-20-2006, 12:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annissa
For grilled cheese sandwiches, butter is your only option.
Actually, that's not true. If you use a smidgen (and I do mean a tiny amount) of olive oil to just cover the bottom of the pan without pooling, you can make a DIVINE grilled cheese sandwhich Very light and crispy without being greasy or soggy.
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 01:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I just did a google on 'cooking oils' and found an interesting yet questionable article on coconut oil, but they also sell the brand on their web sight so that's where the reliabilty of info is questionable.
http://www.mercola.com

As for the olive oil, I like all the advise, but just not sure I am going to like the taste, though I will know how to look for the good stuff now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement