Question for those who feed home cooked chicken - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2013, 12:15 AM   #11 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderflower View Post
i just buy kraft in the container to give the cats. the stuff i eat if i buy parmesan cheese is pretty expensive, but yeah, if you want to use that kind, just grate it first.

i think it's nice to make your own cat food too, especially since you can't go into any of the factories and see exactly what they're doing and putting in it.

have you tried bacon and egg cat food yet? my cats really like it. you can also put cottage cheese in it, or plain live culture yogurt. if you want it to be a little thicker you can use corn starch to thicken it, but my cats are fine with the soupiness. bonito flakes are so handy, and i'm always on the lookout for new flavor enhancers that are safe.
That is why I haven't buy parmesan yet,cos I don't eat it myself. If ET doesn't eat, it will be wasted. I have sandwich cheese at home though, will check ingredient to be sure it is safe for cats.

Ya, whatever we cook ourselves, the ingredients are at least safe for human consumption and even more safe for cats.

I don't eat bacon, but I don't mind buying just a small quantity for ET to try, I'm sure I don't need to buy alot. As for eggs, chicken or quail, ET never like it, whichever way its cook, omelette, scrambled, poach or hardboiled, mixed with chicken or in canned food. I just got back from shopping for bonito flake, well, no stock at this outlet, will have to go elsewhere another time. Didn't manage to find raw turkey or even duck. Anyway, do share next time, the other enhancers you eventually manage to find.

The batch of leftover chicken I made the other day is in the freezer, I will have to stop feeding him until I can get him to eat all the other brands of wet 1st. Right now, he isn't eating Wellness Cat Turkey, Avoderm Chicken. At least he is a little more interested in Wellness Core Turkey & Duck, Addiction Brushtail. Yet to try the other canned. Can be quite a headache when they start getting finicky.sad:

Last edited by snowy; 03-05-2013 at 12:17 AM.
snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2013, 01:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cat Addict

yeah i rarely have parmesan cheese in the house. i have gorgonzola more often because i put it in one of my salads but i never tried to give it to my cats. lisa pierson says on that catinfo page that fortiflora tastes like parmesan (how does she know??? lol) but fortiflora has animal digest in it. animal digest is truly repulsive but i think if you smeared it on old shoes, a cat would eat them. but it comes in a really tiny container (here, anyway) so it wouldn't cost much at all.

parmesan cheese by kraft is really stinky, and i think that's why cats like it. gorgonzola, or any of the other blue-veined moldy cheeses are strong smelling as well but in a different way. you never know though, cats have different tastes like people do, i suppose.

if he doesn't like eggs any way period, then bacon and egg cat food wouldn't be a good idea. my cats like scrambled eggs, and it was kind of a natural progession to bacon. i just try different things to see what they'll eat.

anything dairy is usually something cats like. sour cream, cream cheese, plain yogurt, cottage cheese, stuff like that. some cats probably like the taste of mayonnaise. as far as herbs, i honestly have no idea what cats prefer.

i can't remember if you're a vegetarian or not (i am so i have to buy all this stuff specially for the cats) but do you ever have meat loaf? because i'm thinking a cat might like that (without the onions, of course). the only thing is that you wouldn't be able to mix in the additives except for bone meal. taurine is only in raw meat and heat kills some vitamins. i don't know if you could put the nutritional yeast in before you cooked it, either.

i do really stupid things to see what my cats will eat: i bought some sardines, deviled ham, vienna sausages, canned salmon, and some of those tiny shrimp. they liked sardines and deviled ham, not so much on the vienna sausages or shrimp, and they wouldn't eat the canned salmon at all. it was people food but it looked hideous to me. oh and i bought a slim jim and they liked it--but i have no idea what's in one.
cinderflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:22 PM   #13 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Thanks Cinderflower for all the tips. I never knew there are so many human food that I can try. I can easily get plain yoghurt, cream cheese, mayo, sardines, shrimp and these are stuff that I will eat, so no wastage if ET doesn't.

I am not vegetarian, but I am vegi lover and I don't eat alot of meat, mainly seafood. I never have beef, chicken or pork in my fridge. Doc had been advising me to eat some meat cos I don't do well on vegi only diet, so if I want any of these food, I eat out at least 3X a week.

I am planning to feed ET home cooked just 2 meals a week, so I suppose it wouldn't cause much harm if I don't add taurine or vitamins. Unless I decide to feed home cooked meals more often, then I'll probably look into getting some multi vit specifically for cats. I am still looking for recipe for something I can easily get. Toying with the idea of cooking minced beef (which is easily available from supermarket) cos I have never given him beef before, maybe its a good idea to add beef to his diet, another protein source. Just don't know if he will eat if I just stir fry it plain with some canola oil.

Last edited by snowy; 03-05-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:09 PM   #14 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I literally just put the chicken breasts in boiling water- no oil, no nothing. All of my pets will do anything I ask for a little bit of boiled chicken.

Our fancy pet food store sells these freeze dried treats. They have fish and shrimp which are VERY stink- my cat will scarf down anything if I crush one of these treats on it... might work if you have a fish lover?
spidermilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:00 AM   #15 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I believe freeze dried are considered raw, but anyway, that's a good idea, I can go petshop to look for some other fishy treats as topper or you just make me recall something I have at home that I used to add into porridge, that is roasted silver fish. I can always crush it.

I went shopping for bonito flake, still no luck, but managed to find a very small pack of grated parmesan cheese instead, will probably try it on the leftover chicken tonight.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:01 AM   #16 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Oh, my goodness! ET got all excited over crushed roasted silver fish. I started with adding parmesan cheese onto chicken, he took a sniff, licked once then stopped. Added a tbs of kibbles, ate a few mouthfuls then stopped. I finally decided to try silver fish. Went to crush some, brought to his room, before I even added into his bowl, he smelled it, got all excited and then he licked his bowl clean and still looking around for more - sniffing my fingers too. So, think I can continue to cook chicken and then add silver fish. Whew! finally!
Old 03-06-2013, 07:07 AM   #17 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Hi,sorry, the fish I used shouldn't be called silverfish, I literally translate from the chinese name for this fish. It should be called "Shirasu".
Old 03-06-2013, 07:58 AM   #18 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:

have you tried bacon and egg cat food yet? my cats really like it. you can also put cottage cheese in it, or plain live culture yogurt. if you want it to be a little thicker you can use corn starch to thicken it, but my cats are fine with the soupiness. bonito flakes are so handy, and i'm always on the lookout for new flavor enhancers that are safe.
I had read recently that you should never feed bacon. My cats love it, but I stopped giving it to them after I read this. What brand is the bacon and egg cat food?

Foods To Avoid When You Make Your Own Cat Food

You should never give your cat chocolate, pork, bacon, onions, bones or raw eggs (cooked eggs are okay). These foods can cause adverse reactions and effects within your cat's system, so avoid them.
It's also wise to limit the amount of human-food grade tuna you feed your cat.
Tinned tuna can sometimes contain high levels of mercury. In small amounts, this is fine, but over time your cat could end up with large deposits of mercury in its system that could compromise health.
You also shouldn't feed your cat with dog food, as cats require more protein than dog food contains.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:55 PM   #19 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowy View Post
Hi,sorry, the fish I used shouldn't be called silverfish, I literally translate from the chinese name for this fish. It should be called "Shirasu".
i figured as much LOL. i couldn't imagine a cat going wild for crushed insects on his food so i read it as "silver" fish-- (which most of them are but still)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia View Post
I had read recently that you should never feed bacon. My cats love it, but I stopped giving it to them after I read this. What brand is the bacon and egg cat food?

Foods To Avoid When You Make Your Own Cat Food

You should never give your cat chocolate, pork, bacon, onions, bones or raw eggs (cooked eggs are okay). These foods can cause adverse reactions and effects within your cat's system, so avoid them.
It's also wise to limit the amount of human-food grade tuna you feed your cat.
i'm not going to make any chocolate sundaes for the cats lol but it isn't as toxic to cats as it is to dogs, either that or dogs love it and will eat enough to kill them (?) onions and bones are a definite no, but pork, bacon and raw eggs are debatable.

i make it myself with just scrambled eggs and enough bacon for flavoring but i wouldn't say a lot. i also don't make it often because i wouldn't freeze scrambled eggs, i don't think it would reheat well. also because i don't eat eggs or bacon. as soon as a carton of eggs is gone, that's it for awhile. the reason it says no raw eggs is because of a salmonella risk, but that risk is more or less negligible. it's there, but i think if you give a non-immunocompromised cat raw eggs, it won't kill them. cats have a much stronger threshold for bacteria, eating meat that has lain dead for a week and such. i think their stomach acid is about 10x stronger than ours.

i'm pretty sure they are referring to heavily salted cured meat, like salt pork. i know bacon is cured but it isn't a huge amount of only that. heavy, fatty meat like that can give dogs "bloat" but the amount i give them with scrambled eggs has never caused a digestive problem.

the pork i use is cooked pork i buy raw, not cured salt pork. and i haven't used ham except for ham flavored baby food mixed into things. well, i tried deviled ham once just to see if they would like it, and they did, but i doubt if i'd feed them straight deviled ham for meals.

i always make sure to add the recommended amounts of bone meal, vitamins, and taurine to any cat food i make, no matter how infrequently i feed it to them. taurine deficiencies are nothing to play with (well neither are vitamins) and it's better for a cat to get more than they need (not purposely huge amounts) because they excrete it in their urine.

everything i do is with perfectly healthy cats who have regular bloodwork done. i cannot speak for anyone with an immunocompromised,diabetic or CRF cat.
cinderflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:17 AM   #20 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
the only thing is that you wouldn't be able to mix in the additives except for bone meal. taurine is only in raw meat and heat kills some vitamins. i don't know if you could put the nutritional yeast in before you cooked it, either.
If I were to up home cooked meals, I was just wondering if I can just add taurine only? w/o bone meal and yeast or should I just give multi-vit chews for cats with taurine and everything already added? something like this one DOGGYFRIEND.COM.SG: Singapore's #1 Online Pet Shop with Free Delivery and Big Discounts on Dog Food, Cat Food and Pet Supplies: Pet Naturals Daily Bes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement