Ziggy 1998-2012 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2012, 08:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat

Default Ziggy 1998-2012

I had been telling Ziggy's story in the thread in the Health & Nutrition section here: Ziggy but a thread here seemed more appropriate.

Ziggy lost his battle with cancer on Saturday May 12th, 2012 at approximately 11:30 am. I had to make the most painful decision I've ever had to make. He was 13 1/2 and had lived almost a month longer than the vet predicted.

RIP Zig. I miss ya, pal.
Lucas718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2012, 08:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat

Tonight we went to CVS to have some pictures of Ziggy printed up. Years ago my Mom had given me a picture frame with his name on it, but for some reason I never put a picture in it until now. So glad I saved that frame now.

We also got a very nice surprise in the mail today. The vet mailed us a nice card and in it was a paw print of Ziggy. Apparently they inked one of his paws and pressed it onto the card. We thought that was really sweet. The wife and I both shed a few tears when we saw that.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever have to make, but the right one.

He had a good, long life with you.

What a lovely, thoughtful gift your vet gave you.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...signature2.jpg
marie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Hang in there lucas.....the pain cuts deep...I know......What a great and thoughtful gift by your vets..........
robc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Very sorry for your loss, Lucas. Ziggy sounds like he was a truly wonderful cat.

katlover13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat

Well it has been one week since we said goodbye to Ziggy. I still haven't made it an entire day without crying. It was especially hard today between 11-11:30am because I realized that one week ago at that time we were at the vet's office preparing to say goodbye.

We took the card with his paw print on it and put it in a frame along with one of my favorite pictures of him. Now he'll forever be on my desk next to my computer screen doing what he seemed to spend so much time doing... staring at me.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Very sorry for your loss. Tomorrow will be 5 months to the day that my Slugger crossed the bridge. Though I am moving on it is still a struggle.

Cats give so much love.
Charley Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Sullivan View Post
Very sorry for your loss. Tomorrow will be 5 months to the day that my Slugger crossed the bridge. Though I am moving on it is still a struggle.

Cats give so much love.
They sure do. I just read your tribute to Slugger and I think you & him had the same kind of relationship I had with Ziggy. We were pals.

It has been 12 days and I have cried every day, including already today. My wife is out of town this week visiting relatives. This was planned long before we even knew about Ziggy's illness, otherwise she wouldn't have gone. When she goes on these trips I usually take a couple days off work to get things done around the house. Well, not much is getting done and I'm finding myself basically just sitting around the house missing my little buddy.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:50 AM   #9 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Right. That's really to be expected. These are huge, huge losses for us, and there's no reason it should be easy.

If it helps at all, I found when I lost my first cat ever 4 years ago, I was absolutely crushed. Then as the weeks and months go by, I was gradually able to think of her without crying, and at about the 1-year point I was able to think about her without being upset. It's a process, it does take time, and you'll get there.

We humans keep taking it on the chin for having beloved pets who happen to have a shorter lifespan than we do. I think we're all to be commended for continually putting our deepest emotions on the line in order to care for a pet.

Holly and Murphy
October is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cat

After 21 straight days, yesterday was the first time I made it through an entire day without any tears. I feel like I'm starting to move on with life without Ziggy, but that makes me kinda sad. I don't really want to let go.

I had been feeling guilty about having him euthanized, but the other day I realized that even if hadn't made that decision he wouldn't be here now anyway. I've finally accepted that I spared him from the pain & suffering that was coming, but I still really miss him and wonder if I really did everything I could for him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement