Cat Forum banner

Rest in peace William, my best friend.

5K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  katlover13 
#1 ·
William came to live with us when I was only 4 years old. He was a rescue cat, so we don't know when his birthday was, but the vet thought he was about 2 years old when we got him.

He used to live in the house across the street from us, but they had three large dogs, three small noisy children, and another cat who bullied him, so he soon decided to move in with us! I remember the first day that he came inside our house. I loved him right from the start.

He got gingivitis when he was about 4, and had to have all his teeth removed. It didn't stop him from eating! He still used to wolf his food down like it was going out of style. He would eat literally anything if you didn't keep an eye on him - cheese, cereal, battered cod from the chip shop, crisps, cake, curry, vegetables, even fruit!

When he was younger he liked going outside and enjoying the sunshine, occasionally stalking and catching birds. In in his later years he turned into a house cat and preferred spending his time with me and my mum and dad indoors. He loved everyone he met, particularly my grandparents, who always used to bring him scraps of chicken and turkey.

William always loved attention, but as he got older and more arthritic it started to become a bit painful to be picked up or cuddled excessively. He lost the ability to jump up and run, and eventually could only make it onto the sofa. As he got older he started losing his memory, and started being unable to keep his food down. The last couple of weeks before he passed, he was vomiting blood 5-6 times a day, so we knew we had to do the kindest thing and let him go.

The vet gave him some treats before she put him to sleep, and he still managed to eat them up until the last minute, even when sedated!

I was there with him, stroking his fur, at the end. I like to think he was happy that I was there.

I will miss you, Willy. You were my best friend for the 15 years that you were a part of my life, and nothing could ever replace the space you hold in my heart.

Please wait for me at the Rainbow Bridge. I will see you again some day my old friend. I love you.

See less See more
#6 ·
I'm so sorry for your loss. If you are anything like me, you will have moments of doubt about what you did, but when those moment come, read what you wrote above and be reassured that you did the right thing for William. I'm sure he was glad you were with him and I'm equally sure he'll be waiting for you at the Bridge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.