Apparently 15 years means nothing - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012, 09:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Apparently 15 years means nothing

I got a pretty upsetting facebook message from the wife of one of my husband's former coworkers. Apparently she, her husband, and her baby are going to be moving. While they are going to take their two large dogs, her husband doesn't like cats and does not want to take their cat, Whiskers, with them. Basically, she asked if I could take her because she doesn't really want to take Miss Whiskers to the pound because she's had her for 15 years.

Yeah, that's right. FIFTEEN YEARS! How can someone have a pet for 15 years and just throw her away like that?! I was only blessed with my angel for 8 years and I would give anything in the world to have had her for 15 + years. I'm in tears just thinking about it.

My fear is that Whiskers won't survive the part. While this woman can easily toss her aside, Whiskers is going to be devastated and so confused. I've seen pets mourn themselves to death over losing their special person.

The thing is, I can't take her. My husband and I are closing on a house and will be moving the first of the year. I don't want to put Whiskers through moving twice. Furthermore, Whiskers is an indoor/outdoor cat. The place we are moving is near a busy highway and there is a Rottweiler next door. Not to mention the fact that my cat, Colonel Mustard, is strictly indoor only so I can't put in cat doors.

I apologize for the long post. I'm just so upset!

~Rest your head close to my heart,
Never to part, baby of mine~

Wicked_Felina10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 11:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Grrrr! that makes me so mad, too. but that's all i'll say. otherwise i'll say things i might regret!
maggie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Cat

She will adust to being an indoor cat. Really. I myself would take her in a minute. She is fifteen years old... give her a chance. Changing houses twice in one year is better than being abandoned and dead in my opinion.
Rosie, Dora, Sterling Silver,
Audie and Lillen. Also multiple
birds.
LaurulFeatherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Nan
Cool Cat

I would first reply to her and tell her she has a pretty heartless husband!

And then tell her if she takes that cat to the pound, it will be put to sleep, probably immediately. Ask her if she can live with that? If she intends to do that, she should at least take it to the vet where the cat would be with the person she loved to the end instead of being scared by being abandoned.

If you do want the cat, go ahead and take it. Since it's a new territory for the cat, you wouldn't want to let her out anyway. So it may be the time to keep her indoors for good.

That really frosts me that people think so little of their pets.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I told her that I would try to find a home for Whiskers, but if I couldn't, then I would take her. I refuse to let that baby die alone and scared.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Also take into consideration that your recently departed cat may be trying to tell you something with Whiskers. Just something to think about.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

@my4kitties - Funny you should say that, because Whiskers resembles Miss Stink in a way.

My husband doesn't think we should take her because she is old and he doesn't want to see me have to go through what I went through with Stink again. I told him that I am not going to put my comfort over Whisker's life. Thankfully, he supports whatever decision I make.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat Addict

You'd be surprised how resilient some cats can be. She may be 15, but she may adjust just fine. If she's currently indoor/outdoor, she's probably a bit better accustomed to handling different environments and situations as well. And besides, how special really is her "special person" if she's willing to dump her after 15 years? Maybe you are actually her special person!
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cat

I knew someone like her. She took her cat to the humane society because she meowed too much. She had her cat for 9 years. Then wanted to get another kitten!! When I found out what she had done I gave her a piece of my mind and I never spoke to her again. Makes me want to scream when I hear things like this. I hope you can give her a good home for however long she lives. Poor kitty deserves at least that.
orrymain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:29 AM   #10 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default priceless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked_Felina10 View Post
@my4kitties - Funny you should say that, because Whiskers resembles Miss Stink in a way.

My husband doesn't think we should take her because she is old and he doesn't want to see me have to go through what I went through with Stink again. I told him that I am not going to put my comfort over Whisker's life. Thankfully, he supports whatever decision I make.

that fuzzy feeling i get when i know someone is as warm-hearted as you! best of luck hon!
Mrgnx11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement