"I Adopted Your Cat Today..." - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 07:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Cat

i can't bear to read anymore of these heartbreaking stories. it's killing me! the first 2 stories were enough. but i am in total agreement with the thoughts and share everyone's desire here to take in those kitties so thoughtlessly left behind. so many people these days throw away their animals like they throw away leftover food or plastic bags. it's horrible and so so sad. we have at home an adopted 7, 11, and 14 year old and we will love them FOREVER! I don't care how much they poop or pee or throw up on the floor or carpet or wake us up at 3 am coughing up a hairball. they will always be our babies.
maggie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 07:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tom Cat

These stories make adopting from shelters such a rewarding experience. These stories are truly sad but I am uplifted every time I hear of someone talk about their new addition to their family. I would say 90 percent of the time they tell me they got them from a shelter. Makes my heart melt.
Luvmyfurbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antigone View Post
It bothers me that they actually kill these animals. Wouldn't it be better to give them a chance to survive on their own?They have probably never set foot outside, but at least better a hard life than no life at all. Who are we to put animals down just because no one wants to take them home..
Well, I'd have to disagree with you on this point IF you are saying it would be better to put the domesticated animal on the streets in order for it to try and fend for itself rather than humanely euthanizing it. I think a house cat (or dog) that is thrown out will experience terror, hunger, pain and suffering - and that's IF it is not immediately killed by a speeding car or train. If this is not what you meant to say, then I apologize.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:40 AM   #14 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia View Post
Well, I'd have to disagree with you on this point IF you are saying it would be better to put the domesticated animal on the streets in order for it to try and fend for itself rather than humanely euthanizing it. I think a house cat (or dog) that is thrown out will experience terror, hunger, pain and suffering - and that's IF it is not immediately killed by a speeding car or train. If this is not what you meant to say, then I apologize.
Marcia, what I am trying to say is that I could never decide who lives or dies. If I ever found myself in a position where I was actually starving, I would not keep my cat inside to starve with me nor would I lock it in a cage to await for its death. I would prefer to set it free somewhere, where at least it could have a chance to survive. Let's not underestimate animals. Even house cats haven't lost their natural instincts. I agree with you that it would almost certainly be a terrifying experience, but don't you think it's all the same terrifying being locked up in a cage, all suddenly in an unfamiliar place with other animals all around nowhere to run..I wouldn't condemn an animal to death just because I could not provide for it. That's how I see it.
I do not mean to offend anyone, these are just my thoughts which I am happy to share with people who love animals.
Antigone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:19 PM   #15 (permalink)
Cat

Not getting into a debate, but I would never dump my kitties out in the cold and leave them there. Never, ever, ever. I think I would leave them absolutely heart-broken. I also would not take them to a shelter. If I HAD to find somewhere else for them to live (and being homeless would be the only thing that would make me do that), I would either look for a temporary solution (probably try to send them back to their foster mother temporarily) or a more permanent solution (if I can't find an ideal temporary one). Either way, I think it would be just as cruel to dump a bonded kitty outside and abandon it there. Not to mention, the place where I adopted my kitties from would be absolutely FURIOUS if they found out I did such a thing to the kitties they cared for so much in order to find them a forever home.

The poem and story were really sad! I always feel bad for all the abandoned pets out there. Sometimes I look on kijiji and I see ads for cats that are seniors who they've had for many years, and they say something like, "we have to get rid of her because we are moving". Ummmm.... "get rid of her"??? I didn't realize a family member was so disposable. I am moving to the USA in September 2014 if things go as planned. No way will I ever move into an apartment building that would not allow me to bring my precious kitties. There are plenty of pet-friendly buildings around if people only take the time to look! Then there are ads that say, "looking for a place for my 4 month old kitten because I don't have time to spend with him". It seems like they should have thought about THAT 2 months ago when they adopted him....
Merlin_Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:37 PM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Default "I Adopted Your Cat Today..."

A little over a year ago we received a notice from our landlord that she wanted to upgrade our place and then sell it. Because of that we had to leave the place we called home for twelve years.

Briefly we tossed around the idea of renting a pet friendly place but we discovered that even the most pet friendly places wouldn't allow us to bring our entire crew.

So we bought a house. It was frantic and certainly not when we believed we'd be buying but we found a delightful little house with a huge backyard and were able to get it for a steal.

Never once in all that time did we say, "Maybe we should just surrender some of them." They're the only kids we've got and they literally ARE our children. I could no more give any up than I could stop breathing or chop my own leg off.

Now everyone is happy.

"I Adopted Your Cat Today..."-imageuploadedbypg-free1359769052.467585.jpg

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

mumof7kitties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:11 PM   #17 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia View Post
oh, sure ..... make me cry!
Me too!
Venusworld21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement