Colors of feral cats - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Of all the feral cats that you take care of what color is the most common in your colony?
Tabby 2 22.22%
Black 1 11.11%
Bi Colors (solid colors mixed with white) 1 11.11%
Calicos & Torties 3 33.33%
White 0 0%
Siamese 0 0%
Other 2 22.22%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2007, 07:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Default Colors of feral cats

I thought this would be interesting. We feed and care for lots of ferals. So I am wondering what is the most popular color among feral cats. It has been noted that with generations the cats color go back to tabbies. The most common for me I agree in my neighborhood is tabby patterns followed by black cats 2nd.
Gina & Gemini & Molly (dogs) GT turtle, Rocky conure, Forest lopbunny, Weenie & Uno minnows & the kitties: Batboy, Fluffy, Nemo, Clover, Teddy, Oliver, Annie, Spooky, Francis, Diana, Tiger Lilly, Simon, Dexter, Tony, Jimmy Love, Tarzan & Gigi
Sweetvegan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2007, 07:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Kitten

My white feral was unusual I was told. I had a (5 month old) tiger feral kitten show up that was very sick and tested postive for FeLV. My friend was taking care of her, she didnt get better so they had to put her down. Very sad. Other ferals I've seen were torties, tigers, a couple calicos and black and whites. They were all together as a colony. Quite a combo.
mamacita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 08:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

lots of torties.
morea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 11:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Tabbies and bi-colors. Bi-tabby/whites and bi-black/white. Had a gray/white, in one litter.
One of my oddest, was a chocolate tomcat. He is brown with brown stripes. He mated with the feral bi-tabby/white and her four kittens all looked like daddy; brown with brown stripes, NO white at all! That was a difficult litter to keep the names straight!
Kittens all spy/neut/adopted. Mom/Dad spy/neut. Dad is now an indoor/outdoor and Mom is thinking about indoor...

Have seen a fluffy orange kitty lately...hoping it will stick around.
Heidi
Heidi n Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 12:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cool Cat

My "colony" is limited to one litter, with three tuxedos and one solid black. The mom is tuxedo too.

But we seem to have had an awful lot of bi-color black and white strays around our group of neighborhoods. I often wonder how many of them are related. Black and bi-color genes are both dominant, aren't they? So probably one dumb person years ago had a single black and white unspayed female that they let roam...sigh.

One county north of here, I have a friend who is convinced that all-black cats are taking over the gene pool, because she sees them everywhere. (You should visit, Jeanie! )
Jet Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 11:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Our dominant color is red/orange..which lets us have lots of red females, which is a little bit unusual. And then we have a fair share amount of white, grey, torties, black - and just one or two tabbies
This is a very interesting thread .
Old 01-24-2007, 03:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I don't have a coloney to feed, but most of the fosters I get are ferals.. and alot are black...next would be brown tabby's, followed by silver tabby's.
Janice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement