Feral cat colony infested with fleas!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2008, 09:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat

Default Feral cat colony infested with fleas!!

I am a caregiver of 2 colonies of feral cats. The colony that is closest to my house has fleas really bad. Several of them have lost alot of hair. They just look pitiful. I feel sure this is the problem. Last year we had one cat (tame enough to pet) that lost alot of hair, and I got some Advantage on him and his hair grew back.
The problem now is that I can't get near any of these cats.
Will just spraying the ground with some kind of chemical help the situation? Do you know of anything that won't be dangerous to the cats?
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2008, 10:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Can cats eat Brewers Yeast? I have a stray thought running 'round my head where I think that Brewer's Yeast or some Vitamin B something, if mixed in canned food, will make their skin taste funny and make the fleas leave?

If you can't touch them, the only way to treat them is by feeding it to them. I really don't think spraying the area will do much good because the fleas still ON them won't be affected.
Heidi n Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 10:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premier Cat

First, thank you for caring for these cats.

There are treatments for the grass, but I believe the first step should be treating the cats. I would recommend a humane trap, and a flea treatment applied to the cats' backs. Of course you would need strong gloves, but I think you could manage to apply Advantage to the back of the neck. Then, make certain that you use a flea treatment on the grass that is safe for cats. I found a number of products on Google. However, all of the sources I found recommend treating the cats first. Good luck.

There are feral cats that go wild in a humane trap, so Feliway might prove to be useful. You could also consult a vet or the Humane Society, and ask for help.

Are these cats neutered? If not, low cost spaying and neutering are available, and the cats could be treated while under anesthetic. Good luck!

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Jeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Im very interested in hearing solutions for this one. does frontline have to be put between the shoulder blades? wow this is a tuff one.

~Merry~

With my eyes, they will be seen...With my voice, they will be heard....
With my hands, they will know comfort...With my action, they will be free...
~TNR and Rescue changes lives of animals.~

When the angels are busy God sends rescuers
Mitts & Tess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 11:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cat

Default Feral cats w/fleas

Well.....I don't think they are going to "fall" for the cage again. They have all (but two) been caught, neutered/spayed, ears tipped, got shots and one dose of Advantage or something like that. I live in Texas, and fleas are always a BIG problem. I guess we can spray the area around our house, but they go further away than that too. There are 2 separate colonies. One at the front of our mobile home park and one right behind our house. I just hate seeing those beautiful cats losing their hair like that!
There are probably about 2-3 that we can actually pet. They won't be a problem.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Beth, I would call the vet's office and ask their advice. You might want to ask if they know of anyone else who's caring for a feral colony to discover what they are using. I check Alley Cat Allies, and didn't find anything to help with this situation. I think treating the lawn will be helpful, but I feel certain the cats will have to be treated first. I wish I could be of more help. I'll do a bit more research, and if I find something, I'll post it.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cat

Default thanks

I was all over the internet last night too. I found a site that said there is something that can be put in wet food, BUT it's not recommended with a group of 10 cats. There is no way for them each to get the proper dose.

I'm going to try to contact the rescue group that trapped the cats in the first place.

Also, do you know of any places where they might donate food to me? Since I am not an actual rescue group, I don't know if they'll believe me when I try to get free food!!!
Old 04-17-2008, 12:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I got this information from http://www.alleycat.org/resources_care.html#19

Quote:
Fundraising

Foundation Center - the nation's leading authority on philanthropy, connecting nonprofits and the grantmakers supporting them to tools they can use and information they can trust. The Center maintains the most comprehensive database on U.S. grantmakers and their grants. It also operates research, education, and training programs designed to advance philanthropy at every level. The Center has five regional library/learning centers and its national network has more than 340 Cooperating Collections.
Getting Your Paws on More Money: Overcoming Fundraising Phobia
A Few Neutered cats: Five ways to raise just enough money to get the job done! - Gives tips on raising the funds to Trap-Neuter-Return and take care of feral cats on a small-scale. (also linked to above)
Grassroots Fundraising Journal
Fundraising Tools - Shelter Source
Grant Sources - Shelter Source
*Attention Florida residents! A grant application is now available for funds collected from the Florida Animal Friend spay/neuter license plate fund. The committee will accept proposals for feral cat sterilization programs through 4/15/07.
I hope that helps. Alley Cat Allies is a great source for information.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Is there any flea medication that comes in pill form? Pill Pockets are a great invention, basically a soft treat that you can hide a pill inside. Most cats will scarf them down. If the cats will come close enough to watch you from a safe distance, you could try rolling the treats to them one cat at a time. (Much easier in theory than practice, I know.)

For the food, you could also try posting on Craigslist or Freecycle to see if any individuals have food to donate. I know for example, my mother's cat just passed away, and she's asking all her cat owner friends if they want to take the leftover food, treats, etc. Probably a long shot, but it never hurts to ask.

Also, if you have a Big Lots near you, they often carry big bags of cat food at bargain prices.

Good luck, and kudos to you for helping these cats!
Jet Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Contact the group that S/N this colony they might be able to help you out with food pt if they cant the might be able to know where you could get hep.. Our group here gives food to caretakers all the time. Food banks have free cat food also.

~Merry~

With my eyes, they will be seen...With my voice, they will be heard....
With my hands, they will know comfort...With my action, they will be free...
~TNR and Rescue changes lives of animals.~

When the angels are busy God sends rescuers
Mitts & Tess is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement