Stray, Feral or wanderer - Page 4 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2012, 01:46 PM   #31 (permalink)
Senior Cat

It really does sound like he's had bad experience(s) with people trying to catch him before. Have you asked your vet or any local rescues for advice or help catching him?
minikin44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2012, 11:31 AM   #32 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Have sought advice and really learned nothing new other than what is posted here and on other sites. Last night he showed up, must have been there for a while before we noticed him. I set the trap, covered it, laid a trail of food to the door. He was very good at eating everything up to the trip plate. Beyond that he would not go. After that he simply waited on the patio until he received his full can of food, hung around a bit, played with my cats through the screen and left. Tonight he goes hungry and maybe Sunday I can entice him further into the trap. I really don't want to spook him but would like to get him vetted and neutered at least.
fanwoodguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:42 PM   #33 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I still cannot catch this guy, but at least he is eating regularly. Interesting that at the height and I mean the height of the hurricaine, when the wind was knocking down trees he showed up at the patio door for his evening meal. He waited under the only chair left outside, gobbled up his daily can of food and ran off. Mooch is one tough cat.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:52 PM   #34 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Depending on how desperate/committed you are to trapping Mooch you may want to try a "drop trap". I don't know if one is available to you or if you have the resources to make one, but I can tell you that, especially in your situation, it would work. I have a pic of one that I made in my album. It's not a set and leave, it has to be monitored and tripped by hand, but it has trapped every street-wise cat in my neighborhood.
You're right, any cat that would have ventured out during Sandy is one tough kitty!
lyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:32 AM   #35 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Despite defying all attempts at capture, Mooch continues to feed regularly at the back door. We don't know where he sleeps but it must be nearby. Last evening we had a breakthrough of sorts. He has come to crave temptation treats. Now he responding the the rattle of the bag and even ate out of my hand. These might be the tool to getting him into the trap and to the vet.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:00 AM   #36 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyle View Post
Depending on how desperate/committed you are to trapping Mooch you may want to try a "drop trap". I don't know if one is available to you or if you have the resources to make one, but I can tell you that, especially in your situation, it would work. I have a pic of one that I made in my album. It's not a set and leave, it has to be monitored and tripped by hand, but it has trapped every street-wise cat in my neighborhood.
You're right, any cat that would have ventured out during Sandy is one tough kitty!
This is a good suggestion. A drop trap is sometimes the only thing that will work with very trap wary cats. I'd like to add to lyle's advice by mentioning that if you do catch a cat in a drop trap, you'll likely have to be hiding close enough to spring into action and hold the trap down. Drop traps are essentially large boxes with bait placed under them that are held up on one end by an object (plastic bottles work well). One end of a long string is tied securely around the object, the person hiding nearby holds the other, allowing them to trigger the trap by pulling the string. Think Wile E. Coyote.

Because drop traps are much larger than other cat traps and need to be easy to trigger, the box must be light enough that the weight of it doesn't delay the time it takes to trigger it, but this also means that given any more than five seconds, the cat will escape--you'll have to jump on that box ASAP, if you want to keep kitty from escaping! My best advice about using a drop trap is to practice a lot before you attempt it with the actual cat! If you don't get it right, and end up spooking him, you may find yourself completely out of options.

dt8thd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:16 AM   #37 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I don't know much about traps or what they look like but what about covering it in branches and leaves inside and out? Also what about spraying the area near or in the trap with feliway? You said he comes in the garage, what about a feliway plug in just for calming reasons. I don't know, just throwing thoughts out there.
Luvmyfurbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #38 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I only mention feliway because when I started using a plug in one, since day one my cat wanted to lay right next to it. He loved that thing.
Luvmyfurbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:18 PM   #39 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I appreciate the feedback. The drop trap plan would require some construction on my part and I have not been ready to take that step. I am not familiar with feliway but will certainly give that a try. This guy has been a mystery but this week his attitude has changed. Now he will approach and sit next to me while he eats. Before the 4 foot rule had to be respected. Twice he has permitted a touch and only responded with a half hearted hiss. I leave the trap out all of the time so he knows it is there and so far it has not been set to trigger. Given his higher hunger level probably due to the cold, and his interest in treats, this may finally be the opportunity to entice him into the trap.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:07 PM   #40 (permalink)
Cat

Hi. What has happened with Mooch? He sounds like a neat cat, although probably an outdoor one.
Catmamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement