keeping my fingers crossed - Page 3 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2012, 06:15 PM   #21 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
yup, even though he has only been with my parents for a week they have really fallen for him, and he seems to have done the same. they now are brushing him for a while every day and he has started purring when they do it.
Yippee! Sounds like Spotty has found his forever home. Is he still called Spotty or did your parents give him a new name?
Janz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2012, 08:26 AM   #22 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitts & Tess View Post
This is so awesome. I love when a cat gets a chance at a good life after it being so diffacult. Tell your parents we think they are great for helping this sweet guy. You are too BTW!!!

thanks very much! i did passed along your thanks to my parents as well, they appreciate it

Myulchee - yeah, he certainly is indicating that he understands what we are trying to do for him. i am just shocked at how quickly he has seemed to "get it", after all it has only been 13 days since i trapped him.

Janz - i told my parents that seeing as how they are fostering him they could change his name but they said that they would keep it spotty, more than likely the first name he has ever had.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:58 PM   #23 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Awesome.
Sounds like a success story to me!
Myulchee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:24 PM   #24 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myulchee View Post
Awesome.
Sounds like a success story to me!

it really is amazing how quickly he is coming around as far as socialization goes. now, when my parents are putting the meds in his eyes they do not even need to use a blanket to wrap him up, my father holds him and my mother puts it in his eyes. he certainly is not happy about it but he doesn't fight, only squirms around.

i have told my parents that they should start sitting on a stool right outside of his cage and try to see if he will sit on one of their laps. this way he doesn't automatically assume that being handled is going to lead to either stuff being put in his eyes or a trip to the vet.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:18 PM   #25 (permalink)
Tom Cat

any updates to this heartwarming story?
KittehLuv'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:44 PM   #26 (permalink)
Tom Cat

well, i thought i would give a little update on spotty.

after he started to feel better from his infections my parents decided to NOT listen to my advice and allowed him to investigate their house. it was way too much way too fast and he started to show a bit of aggression - a few scratches on my parents that they thought were sooo bad - in my eyes they were minor at best. it was kind of funny hearing my father say that he "was scared of spotty".

after another month, and once he was altered he really started to adjust to his new life. although he was cautious whenever they had company he did investigate the new people and would hang out near them. there was one exception, me. the couple of times that i was there he would growl at me. i guess he was not yet over the fact that i was the meanie that tricked him into a trap and forced him to go to the evil doctor - you're welcome spotty.

now, he is the biggest (14 lbs) baby there is. my mom is going crazy since she now has to watch every step she takes since he is constantly underfoot. just the other day my mom went outside to do some cleaning of her beehives and spotty follows her and sits on the picnic table bench alongside her. once she gets up he gets up and follows her back inside. last week my father caught spotty up on the kitchen counter and firmly told him no! well, spotty got down, ran into the living room, jumped up onto the chair my mom was sitting in and put his head down on her lap. it was like he was saying "mommy, he is being mean to me".

all things considered (being FIV +), his health seems pretty good. he did develop a uti that required antibiotics but he was fine by the time he finished the meds. he also started to develop another eye infection. the vet was worried that it may lead into another uri but fortunately it did not.

the only negative - seeing as how he is FIV+ i made sure that my parents only buy him ultra premium brands (merrick, wellness, etc.) of food and my parents are worried that they might go broke. he is eating 16 - 20 ounces of canned food daily and not putting any weight on, he just needs that much to maintain his current weight.

all in all this has been one of those sad stories that ends up with a very happy ending.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement