Update on Ben - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2012, 01:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat

Default Update on Ben

Ben has now been inside for 3 weeks today! She is coming along good, eating good, always using the litter box. She hides underneath the futon, but comes out whenever I go in the room and sit with her, which I do at least 5 - 6 times a day, and whenever I pass the room I always talk to her through the screen door. I still have not been able to touch her, movement with my hands scares her, but she comes to within a foot of me and sits, eats, washes. I am waiting for her to come out of her hiding place more on her own, but I realize this can take a long time as everything is new to her, I am prepared for that!
Is there anything I can do with my hands, to try and get her to "accept" my hands?? She has toys, but is a little afraid of them, although I do hear her at night playing.
Any encourgement and advice is appreciated!!!!
Sally
Saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2012, 01:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat

A question that I have is, how do I challenge her - without scaring her?? Or is this something that just comes with time and patience?
Sally
Old 09-13-2012, 01:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Nan
Cool Cat

While sitting on the floor, can you just move your hand toward her with just one finger showing? That might look less intimidating than what she sees as big claws coming toward her. If you can do that a few times, then maybe she'll let you stroke her whiskers with the finger.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tom Cat

if she's food motivated you can leave a little trail of kibble or treats and see if she'll approach that way. She doesn't have to if she doesn't want to, but it's an extra little incentive that good things happen when she's near you.
rightsaidfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Move really slowly and let her sniff your hand. You could also try getting her to eat a treat out of your hand (just keep it very still if you do).
minikin44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Kitty Cat Boot Camp

The above thread has really helped me move forward with the cat I just took in. I find that good smelling food like ham helps a lot too. Maybe try something she could lick off of your hands? Though she might mistakenly bite them, but it might be something to try out.
mackaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cat

Default How long??

I am in this for the long haul with Ben, was just wondering, as this is a first for me, - for those of you who have done this before, (taken in a feral), how long it took you to socialize them? I know it is different with every cat!, I'm thinking many months!
Sally
Old 09-14-2012, 07:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I've never adopted a feral but I did adopt an aggressive stray. Different set of problems, since he was not fearful. But one thing I did that I think helped us bond is just sit in the room with him and read. Sometimes I would read out loud. It helped him get accustomed to me without me being threatening. Eight years later he is not the perfect pet but he is very sweet in his own way.
Janz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cat

I am realistic, I know she will probably never be a "lap cat", and that's fine, I want her to be safe and comfortable being inside! I know this can take a long time, just was wondering what other's experience was and how long it took!
Sally
Old 09-15-2012, 11:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I adopted Stubby when he was 5 months old, along with 3 older colony-mates. They were true ferals, more like wild animals. They lived in my feral barn colony until Stubby broke his leg at age 8 months. He re-habed at my house. Every time I opened the door of his dog crate to feed him or change the litter box he would lash out and spit. It's one year later and he's grown into a sweet cat who sits still for pets and kisses and I can even lift him up a little.
He still has a feral streak and will bolt from the room if I startle him, but I love him for how far he's come.

Last edited by Greenport ferals; Yesterday at 01:51 AM.
Greenport ferals is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement