Opinions on this semi-feral cat in our garage? - Page 3 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2012, 06:52 AM   #21 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Cats, especially ferals, like to be up high. They feel safer.
You have made a lot of progress. I think this guy is a keeper. He has an adorable face and he wants to trust you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012, 04:09 PM   #22 (permalink)
Cat

I think you are making good progress. Old Mommacat (my first feral) wouldn't come to me for nearly 4 weeks. (This was 15 years ago.) Then something made her decide I was ok. She still won't stay closed in for any length of time. I suspect she was accidently locked in somewhere and she still remembers it. But she lets me pet her and will jump in my lap if I am sitting down. Just be patient. Mommacat is a tortoise/calico who has never, to my knowledge, carried kittens to term. She absolutely will not go into a carrier so she has never been to the vet. But she is living a good life for at least 15 years--probably longer as she was pretty big when I first started feeding her. She prefers to stay under the porch unless it rains. Then she heads for the garage. Have fun.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:50 PM   #23 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenport ferals View Post
Cats, especially ferals, like to be up high. They feel safer.
You have made a lot of progress. I think this guy is a keeper. He has an adorable face and he wants to trust you.
He seems to do a lot on ground level now, and goes up to sleep.

This morning when I walked in he was on the chair cushions I sit on with some catnip and meowed at me as I walked in. He was meowing a lot while I was in there, though... don't know what he wanted. I hope not outside... I can't let him out unneutered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catmamma View Post
I think you are making good progress. Old Mommacat (my first feral) wouldn't come to me for nearly 4 weeks. (This was 15 years ago.) Then something made her decide I was ok. She still won't stay closed in for any length of time. I suspect she was accidently locked in somewhere and she still remembers it. But she lets me pet her and will jump in my lap if I am sitting down. Just be patient. Mommacat is a tortoise/calico who has never, to my knowledge, carried kittens to term. She absolutely will not go into a carrier so she has never been to the vet. But she is living a good life for at least 15 years--probably longer as she was pretty big when I first started feeding her. She prefers to stay under the porch unless it rains. Then she heads for the garage. Have fun.
Thanks for sharing your experience! This guy seems alright around me if I'm sitting on the floor but he leans away from touch outside of sniffing my hand. He also can growl and hiss at me sometimes in that way that sounds like he wants to rip my face off if I'm standing up and slowly walking around.

I don't have a picture of it on the computer (it's on my phone), but when I walked in last night he was laying in the corner with his mouse right beside him tucked beside a paw. Super cute! He really likes that mouse.

Here he is sitting beside me on the ground after eating, he comes over checking for treats and then has got into the habit of grooming beside me for a minute or so, last night for a very short time he lay down:

And then he walked over top of my legs and found a piece of a catnip plant, which I didn't even know was there. He lay down right beside me and rolled over (the black part in the picture are my legs under a blanket):

Then sense probably kicked in and he wondered what the heck he was doing... after this he got up and wondered around the room:

Anyway, on Tuesday I do volunteer work at the cat sanctuary, I'll see what some of the paid staff have to suggest about his likely unneutered status, at the very least we'd have to borrow a trap to do it at this stage, but maybe they'd cover it under TNR, as he's still more feral than not.

Along with the dogs Tara and Coco.

Last edited by Carmel; 11-05-2012 at 04:52 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:08 PM   #24 (permalink)
Cat

What a beautiful cat!
Old 11-06-2012, 12:57 PM   #25 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Wow he is making great progress. What are you planning on doing with him? I would say at the very least try and get him neutered. If he is unadoptable maybe you could continue feeding him in the garage and let him in when its cold?

Last edited by 3furbabies; 11-06-2012 at 12:58 PM. Reason: when I say let him in, I mean the garage
Old 11-06-2012, 08:14 PM   #26 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyK View Post
What a beautiful cat!
He is pretty handsome, I think so too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3furbabies View Post
Wow he is making great progress. What are you planning on doing with him? I would say at the very least try and get him neutered. If he is unadoptable maybe you could continue feeding him in the garage and let him in when its cold?
I've had this question a lot, for now, I'm planning to try and tame him at that's the extent. I don't know how he'll interact with Blacky, or if he'll become a cat that could be adoptable by anyone. He seems happy in the garage, he doesn't have to spend his entire day looking for food. He eats like he'll never see another meal.

I've spoken with some people at the cat sanctuary and got mixed opinions.

A few of them just wanted me to care for him all winter and keep him in the garage and try taming him more - I was planning to do all of this anyway, and then taking him in to be checked by a vet once he's tamer.

They suspected he is neutered due to him not spraying, despite his testicles looking pretty big and that I know some unneutered males don't spray unless a female in heat is around.

Meanwhile, another person that works there was all for trapping him and neutering + FeLV and FIV testing ASAP, since it's good to get out of the way, and to know one way or the other sooner rather than later. I tend to agree with her. It will be stressful for him to do now, and more work for the vets, but in either a now or later situation it's still going to be stressful. There's no telling if he'll be all that tame in a few months, either.

What do you guys think? Wait or do it now (within a week or so)?

If I go through their organization the one lady said we'd be charged about 50 dollars for the whole thing and they'd cover the rest as he's a stray from this city. I wouldn't be considering it right now otherwise, as neutering and FeLV and FIV testing would not be cheap; at least 200 hundred dollars.

Last edited by Carmel; 11-06-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:51 PM   #27 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Today he thought it'd be cool to lay between my legs for over 30 minutes. He would've continued if someone hadn't walked in the room. Just as well as I wasn't sure how to get up with him there. He doesn't want me to touch him.

His problem with me standing/moving around is pretty serious though, I'm considering asking about it in the behavior section. Last night he was actively aggressive and bite me (didn't break skin) when picking up his empty dish. He actually came down from the fridge to do this. I'll be wearing gloves from now on when going around his food.

"PUT THE FOOD DOWN AND BACK OFF" is pretty much the attitude... can't he just wait at a distance politely, not crowd my space? I take his distraction eating to clean the litter box, otherwise he'd be growling at me the whole time I do that as well.

He takes serious issue with me standing or walking around, food related endeavors or not. He doesn't want to hide on the fridge or rafters or windows when I'm walking around, he wants to snarl at me at ground level. It's freaky, since I'm used to feral cats running away when threatened by the "big towering giant", not the opposite.

I got fed up last night with it and tossed him a piece of catnip plant. That kept him quiet even when I walked around him, he was rolling around quietly instead.

Anyway, because of this I'll be trapping him. If he isn't neutered, I want it done. It could be related to his aggression, and if it isn't, I still want to make sure he's neutered and that he doesn't have worms/parasites or FIV/FeLV.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:53 AM   #28 (permalink)
Cat

I think it is probably a good idea to trap him, get him neutered, dewormed and check out, then bring him back to the garage. That's what I did with my little feral (you can read my posts about Ben!), only I brought her into a room we had set up for her - with a screen door on it. She's doing pretty good, when we brought her in, couldn't even touch her. Now I can pather when I am sitting down, and even scratch her under the chin, she continuely rubs against me also, - but this took 3 month of interacting with her. She is slowly coming along, but it is progress!!!
Sally
Old 11-09-2012, 10:35 PM   #29 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saly View Post
I think it is probably a good idea to trap him, get him neutered, dewormed and check out, then bring him back to the garage. That's what I did with my little feral (you can read my posts about Ben!), only I brought her into a room we had set up for her - with a screen door on it. She's doing pretty good, when we brought her in, couldn't even touch her. Now I can pather when I am sitting down, and even scratch her under the chin, she continuely rubs against me also, - but this took 3 month of interacting with her. She is slowly coming along, but it is progress!!!
Sally
Thanks! I'll be taking a trap home next Tuesday. It's good to be reminded by your story that things take time. You're making great progress too!

Today I bought a 9 dollar wand toy. Took the cat 30 seconds to break it. He came down and pounced on it. Grabbed the feather bits and would not let go. Must've thought it was a bird for him to drag off and eat. He was very upset with me trying to pull on the other end... Eventually the string snapped.

I'll be getting him a wire-based wand toy next time.

I'm seriously considering leaving out a large bowl of kibble instead of scheduled feeding times; he isn't getting through his head that he doesn't need to fight for every bit of food anymore. It's really putting a damper on taming him since every time I walk in with food he practically mauls me.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:36 PM   #30 (permalink)
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel View Post
Haha, I wish that was the case here. Blacky is useless. She only goes after mice.
!!
This is another reason I'm glad Ares has no interest in going outdoors again. I don't want him killing for fun. Rodents are such cute animals! I had a little gerbil named Ruby when I was a child. He loved to scurry up my arm, dig his claws into my back and slide down. It didn't hurt because his claws were so tiny; it was like a "you scratch my back, I pet yours" kind of arrangement. One day, though, I looked in the mirror and saw that my back made me look like an abuse victim, LOL. It had these long red scratches all over. I can imagine the look on teachers' faces if they noticed my back and I blamed it on a gerbil. His end of the bargain ended there, but I continued to pet him. ^_^

Cats obviously don't give a rat's abs about cuteness though, pun and misspelling intended.

Sorry for going so off-topic! I think it's fantastic that you are caring for this cat. In your situation, I would deworm the cat ASAP. Is there absolutely nothing you can do to get Blacky to eat indoors? It sounds like that would be the best solution. I would definitely take him in for neutering and and vaccinations ASAP, especially if he is still accessing the outdoors and congregating with other strays.

Last edited by AdoptAnAngel; 11-09-2012 at 11:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread