Opinions on this semi-feral cat in our garage? - Page 7 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2012, 06:55 PM   #61 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Thought I'd give another update on Jasper.

I didn't jinx it and I don't have a problem picking up his dish any longer. When feeding him he also is nearly as interested in being pet, walking over top of his food on the floor as I pet him, no vibes that he thinks I'm going to take his food, but he still eats everything in minutes.

I tried bring that feather toy back in and it was a mistake, he still wanted to drag it off and broke it again immediately and I had to carefully extract it from him. When I came back after a few minutes he bit me pretty hard out of the blue; he hadn't tried biting me like that in a while, so I won't be bring in any feathered toys again.

The main problem is leaving the room. He's become a lap cat that doesn't want me to leave. He swats at my feet and may fly - and bite - at my leg or block my way. I have to get him to back off, so he might even hiss at me. Not every time I leave, but often enough that I find I'm more fleeing the room to avoid him getting any ideas. A few times ([-pppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp ...thank Blacky for that contribution) he's running after me anyway and I'm slamming the door in his face since I just don't know what he's thinking as he charges at me like that.

He has a long way to go to a properly domesticated cat, I haven't tried picking him up and carrying him yet, but when he's on my lap he lets me pet his tummy briefly while he's rolling around (I know a lot of regular cats don't allow this!) and will allow me to essentially do the pick up motion of being held in my arms against my chest while sitting on my lap. I think standing and doing this wouldn't end so well.

He seems better with accepting pets when I'm in a crouched or standing position. He doesn't as often bite. I wouldn't say there's no fear of it happening still. I pretty much have lowered my guard around him when he's on my lap but I still can't trust him enough without gloves.

He's not as accepting of anyone else. He'll run up to them (with some hissing and meowing and growling) but he doesn't trust them, that's where the danger is, it's the type of attitude that I used to see where I'd usually resulted in bites out of the blue.

Here's a picture of him from today on my lap:

Along with the dogs Tara and Coco.

Last edited by Carmel; 12-14-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2012, 09:06 PM   #62 (permalink)
Cat Addict

you named him! he's so cute. i was going to say get a da bird because they're pretty hard to break but it doesn't sound like he's ready for any toys like that. maybe throw some of those jingle balls in there. i don't think they can be eaten, and he might like having something to play with.

i won't even pretend to understand any of his behavior because i pretty much don't understand why cats act the way they do. i mean, anything overt you would be able to figure out by yourself probably.

it will just take some time for him to be a "nice" kitty and not bite or growl, but he might not ever like anyone but you.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:50 AM   #63 (permalink)
Cat

He is a beautiful cat!!!!
Old 12-15-2012, 02:46 PM   #64 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Ive really enjoyed reading your posts also. Ohhhh my, another orange kitty. They are special.

I know the leg issue is resolved but for future reference you may want to try this. Esp since cats outdoors tend to get injured. Recently one of my cats (which was a feral cat several years ago but is now totally socialized) was bit by a rattle snake on the foot. Luckily it was a dry bite with a smaller amount of poison in it. I cleaned it with peroxide and then put triple antibiotic ointment on it till I could get him into the vet. The vet gave him an antibiotic shot that lasts a week. Maybe in the future if you encounter having to give him meds ask for that shot instead.

~Merry~

With my eyes, they will be seen...With my voice, they will be heard....
With my hands, they will know comfort...With my action, they will be free...
~TNR and Rescue changes lives of animals.~

When the angels are busy God sends rescuers
Old 12-20-2012, 03:04 PM   #65 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saly View Post
He is a beautiful cat!!!!
I agree! I've always loved orange kitties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitts & Tess View Post
Ive really enjoyed reading your posts also. Ohhhh my, another orange kitty. They are special.
Glad you're enjoy my updates! Thank you for the advice too, I believe they did give him some sort of shot like that, but it's definitely important they get one to prevent infections. I don't know the details, but the vet tech mentioned a 2 week supply of antibiotics in his system.

But yes, he's all healed up now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderflower View Post
you named him! he's so cute. i was going to say get a da bird because they're pretty hard to break but it doesn't sound like he's ready for any toys like that. maybe throw some of those jingle balls in there. i don't think they can be eaten, and he might like having something to play with.

i won't even pretend to understand any of his behavior because i pretty much don't understand why cats act the way they do. i mean, anything overt you would be able to figure out by yourself probably.

it will just take some time for him to be a "nice" kitty and not bite or growl, but he might not ever like anyone but you.
Yes I did name him Jasper. As a friend jokes "don't name him Orangey..." ... I had to prevent that ASAP.

We do have some toys in there for him, I got two a few days after he was first trapped in the garage, he took to them immediately, there was a jingle ball and a little mouse (that he has carted off somewhere I can't find) and eventually followed by a catnip pillow and a larger realistic looking hamster type toy with a bell inside it. Every now and then I walk in there and realise the toys have moved around. I couldn't find the jingle ball for a few weeks but then one day I saw him peering under something and I went to check it out, and there it was... so I got it back for him.

Regarding him only being nice to me, last night proved that wrong! Very happy about that!

I wasn't home so got my father to feed him, and when I came home was exhausted and asked him to pick up his dish as well as I was heading to bed, so about 10 minutes later my father came upstairs all excited, telling me he'd been sitting in the chair with the blue blanket I use on his lap and the cat and came over to him and put his paws on him - stretching - and then jumped up.

That's the way he first approached me about jumping on my lap as well (now he just flies up on my lap without any inhibitions). So my dad had been scratching him for several minutes, he wasn't being gentle in petting him either, he was giving him a really good scratching all over. He wasn't wearing gloves either, something he was a little worried about, but the cat didn't bite him. My dad was so pleased, saying "he likes me!"... it's awesome having an animal-loving family.

Last edited by Carmel; 12-20-2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:40 PM   #66 (permalink)
Cat Addict

This is actually brilliant!

Earlier I posted that my semi feral is at least 8 - since then I've worked it out (I'm not good with numbers) and she is at least 10. She is still more than wary about most people - you have done wonders in such a short period of time.

Although I've paid the price at times, I don't normally use gloves so the cat gets used to the smells.

Last edited by Arianwen; 12-20-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:21 PM   #67 (permalink)
Premier Cat

It probably comes down to how long they've been a semi-feral, Jasper is estimated at 6 or 7 but he only showed up around here in June (I believe I saw him once in June and was shocked at the appearance of a cat in the front yard, and then almost forgot about it as I didn't see him again for at least a month) ... do you think your kitty may have been on her own a lot longer? Blacky took a year to start coming around and wasn't a kitten at the time; we've had her 10 years now, but she may have been on the street a long time. She could potentially be extremely old.

I wish I could trust him without gloves, but I can't. If I hadn't been wearing gloves the first month my hands would have looked like a war zone with serious deep bites all over, they were extremely ferocious and frequent but usually he would only be biting the tip of the oven mitt and my hand wasn't even there.

He still does bit too hard sometimes, and I'm not risking it - the time I was bleeding for 5 or 10 minutes with a bite through the oven mitt was upsetting enough. I also don't want to worry about blood poisoning; something my father had from a cat bite a few years back - very serious. As it is, I still have two red spots on my hand from two separate bites and I'm wonder if they're going to turn into scars, one feels like it has scar tissue underneath the skin.

What I did with the oven mitts was put them in my bed and sleep by them for a few days before I started wearing them.

Sometimes I just wear a regular fingered glove on one hand with an oven mitt on the other while sitting down, he's very loving when on my lap, so my guard is pretty lowered there. I don't trust him as much if I'm not sitting in my usual spot on the ground or my usual spot in the chair.

Last edited by Carmel; 12-20-2012 at 04:24 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:14 AM   #68 (permalink)
Cat Addict

That's an absolutely brilliant idea with getting the smell on the oven glove!
Old 12-21-2012, 08:28 PM   #69 (permalink)
Tom Cat

sounds like he is doing great. sitting on your fathers lap is such a huge deal trust wise.

i love happy stories like this. in so cruel a world this kind of thing is what allows me to have any faith in humanity.

btw, he is one handsome guy!
Old 12-21-2012, 09:28 PM   #70 (permalink)
Premier Cat

It seems like he's turned into an attention hog from anyone. Haha. The only problem is the total unpredictability of him.

Last night my dad sat with him again and Jasper bit my dad, not like he was trying to be super vicious (my dad pulled him off by the scruff and Jasper wasn't mad or anything) but it did result in a puncture on his hand. Not a bad one, my dad didn't mind. I don't think Jasper understands his own strength or how to be gentle with his teeth.

Today my aunt and my dad and I were in there for a little while and Jasper was walking between all of us, rubbing against my dad's legs, jumping on the chair behind my aunt (she wasn't sitting all the way back in it) and wandering over to me as well.

However, unlike with just me in the room, his tail was ENTIRELY fluffed up. He seemed happy otherwise, but you can tell by that he was on edge.

It's been... 2 months? I'm very happy with his progress but I'm not looking forward to trying to introduce him to Blacky, I don't want to be negative, as they must have got along during the summer when he was about, but the odds of them getting along in the house probably aren't that great as it's a different dynamic. We'll definitely try our best to make it work when the time comes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread