Taking in a stray - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 04:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
Kitten

The only reason that my family has cats is because of strays picking us.

Oreo, my parent's cat, came to us when he was about 10months old. He showed up already neutered, declawed, and hungry. (No, none of our other cats have been declawed, it's cruel.) He's been a wonderful and loving cat.

Special, my brother's cat, ran out from behind a dumpster while my brother was skateboarding in town. At about 5 weeks old she claimed him and now at nearly a year old he is the love of her life. Anytime my brother comes home Special will run straight to him and follow him to his room and meow until he pays her attention.

Maxx, my cat, showed up earlier this month. I opened the garage door to let Oreo outside and Maxx ran in. Maxx was about 12 weeks old. So far he's been the sweetest cat I ever met.

Our family believes almost to the point of superstition that if a cat picks you, you have found a friend for life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013, 09:17 AM   #12 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Maxx your stories are heartwarming! Started my day out on a great note! Your family is awesome.

~Merry~

With my eyes, they will be seen...With my voice, they will be heard....
With my hands, they will know comfort...With my action, they will be free...
~TNR and Rescue changes lives of animals.~

When the angels are busy God sends rescuers
Old 01-24-2013, 11:59 AM   #13 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Default Taking in a stray

Wow, your story made me cry. You did everything that you knew to do. You can't keep beating yourself up about it. I can see that kitty holds a special place in your heart

Maxx, your family is amazing to think like that. It is very rare to find people like you.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 01-24-2013, 10:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I agree, we all have cat-stories that haunt us. I understand the pain, because I live with it too. A stray I wasn't able to administer antibiotics to for URI and vanished. A kitten that I didn't take in during a horrible storm, I can still hear the desperate cries, going up to all the strays looking for a mommy and being attacked by them. Vanished too.

Then there are the success stories - a feral I took to euthanize a year ago (gums disease), my heart shattered seeing her so defenseless on that cold vet table, then the vet wasn't in and a new, inexperienced vet girl didn't want to euthanize so I took the stray back, learned through trial and error how to keep her alive, and this has been the best year of her whole life because she'd never been pampered like this (she's a cat that lives in and around our building). The building management have said a thousand times that it's forbidden to sleep inside the building on cold, stormy nights in winter, but she pretends not to understand, and she has a bedroom on a floor no one goes to, where I added a huge pillow and my old clothes for her to sleep curled in. She can only eat soft food, so she gets yummy meats every day instead of kibble like the rest. During the day she sunbathes on the low roofs. A lot more than she had for the first 8 years of her life.

Where I am there are no no-kill shelters. So we take in as many cats as we can and care for those that remain in the streets. There are no predators here, though, and the winters are extremely mild.

The thing is that, depending on the neighborhood, the strays get fed or not. I live in a rich neighborhood where we compete with and boast to each other about how many strays choose to come to OUR feeding station. So I'd never send a stray to any institution, and I even discourage people from adopting one of my strays unless I think they'll be good to the pet. My strays are better off in the streets (which is actually leafy, bushy gardens surrounding the buildings) than most anywhere else.

Even if there were no-kill shelters, they'd be better off here downstairs. I don't see why a cat has to live in a cage or sharing love and attention with tens of other cats.

Last edited by Straysmommy; 01-24-2013 at 10:37 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:41 AM   #15 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straysmommy View Post

I live in a rich neighborhood where we compete with and boast to each other about how many strays choose to come to OUR feeding station.
You have an amazing neighborhood! I am totally impressed. I would like to know where in the Middle East this is. Do you have a TNR (trap, neuter, release) program there? Are cats generally considered house pets or outdoor pets where you live? I lived in Sicily and the prevalence of strays was mind boggling.

Thanks for sharing your story.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:34 PM   #16 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I know the situation in Sicily, and it's the same here in Tel Aviv. The amount of stray cats is enormeous and there's no help from anywhere. We're lucky in my city to have free of charge TNR from the town hall, but no vaccines. What's worst in these countries is that house cats are not treated a lot better than strays. The culture is the problem. Things change slowly.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:42 PM   #17 (permalink)
Cat

Napoleon was a stray that I adopted through a shelter that found him. Is there anything special I should know about taking one in? I love him so much... thanks in advance!
Old 01-29-2013, 02:47 PM   #18 (permalink)
Premier Cat

No, nothing special as long as the vet has given him a clean bill of health. Depending on age, he may have a bad habit or two, but all that is fixable with a bit of patience.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:58 PM   #19 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I posted a thread some time ago about the big danger of adopting a former stray. It happened to me.

*** Beware adopting former stray cats ***
Old 01-29-2013, 03:12 PM   #20 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Funny! Yep strays are like a box of chocolates - you never know what your gonna get! We've had Lacey (3 years old) for two weeks and she was a stray. Normally a real snuggle bug, she will tend to growl and nip if you do something she does not like, like try and move her if she is sleeping on your lap. Got nipped this AM, but it was nothing except a warning and I think I can break her of that. Looking at it as moore of a bad habit and not a personality quirk. I have a friend that had a cat that did this and she will let you do anything to her now. Maybe it's just being a bit new here.

Last edited by marie73; 01-29-2013 at 10:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread