Taking in a stray - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 11:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Default Taking in a stray

I had a tragic thing happen many years ago that I wanted to share about taking in a stray. We had just moved stateside from overseas and at the time we had 3 indoor cats. Out of the blue one freezing cold winter day this gorgeous orange tabby with the most gorgeous fluffy tail showed up in our yard. Strays are unusual around here. She was SO friendly, skinny and absolutely starving. I gave her food, water and showed her how to access a built in doggie door to a workroom so she could get out of the elements. She was smart, loving and just wanted to be with me. She would walk all around the house until she saw me in a window then meow and meow to come in! I had convinced myself that since I already had 3 cats I just could not have another one, besides my cats went ballistic when they saw her outside. After a few days of searching for an owner I gave her to a friend at work. I will never forget the look on that cat's face when I picked her up and put her in the carrier. She looked at me as if I had betrayed her. Her eyes seemed to say "I thought you loved me?" =..(

She did not get along with the resident cat so we agreed that the local shelter might be better for her. Little did I know what would happen. We called every day to see if she had been adopted or claimed, then suddenly after a little over a week we were told she had been euthanized because she was a stray. I know it sounds ignorant of me, but I was fairly new to cat ownership and had no clue that it would happen to adoptable cats.

Almost 20 years later I am still haunted by that look and I feel so guilty I cry over it. I feel so guilty that I didn't do more for this beautiful creature that found her way to our door and thought she had found safety.

If you find yourself chosen by a stray, consider keeping it. If you absolutely cannot keep it then look for a no kill shelter. I just wanted to share this experience that still bothers me. I now have 6 old babies and have dedicated myself to fund raising for a local shelter and taking in old throw-aways. The old cats are mostly unadoptable, and will certainly be euthanized after the feral cats (everyone wants a kitten) once a shelter runs out of room, but these old timers have so much love to give.

Last edited by marie73; 01-29-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 07:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Wow that story choked me up.

There are things that happened with me and I wished I had stopped and done something. They hang with you for a life time. I now know to do it differently. You gave great advice.

~Merry~

With my eyes, they will be seen...With my voice, they will be heard....
With my hands, they will know comfort...With my action, they will be free...
~TNR and Rescue changes lives of animals.~

When the angels are busy God sends rescuers
Old 01-03-2013, 09:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

That is terribly sad.

We all have to learn things we wish did not. Hopefully, your story will educate someone else. I tell everyone these days - if all you can afford to do is provide food, water, and a place out of rain/wind - do it! It is far better than the alternatives.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I was also naive when I had my first cat. Many, many years ago, I also had a stray brought to the local pound, not knowing that they euthanized dogs and cats that hadn't been claimed in a certain amount of time. I was horrified when I found out. I've been feeding a stray for the past 2 1/2 years, and I've thought about trying to get him adopted. Both the city pound and the local SPCA are no-kill, but I think someone here posted that sometimes no-kill shelters just give unadoptable animals to other shelters that aren't no-kill. So the stray is still hanging out on my deck, inside the cedar house that I bought for him.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I kept my stray. Jewel, my adorable kitty, is the cutest little thing. I can already pet her, and carry her around. She's so sweet.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

This is so sad. Don't blame yourself, it's those nasty people who euthanized her, you were ever so kind to even care for her.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purring_Kitties View Post
This is so sad. Don't blame yourself, it's those nasty people who euthanized her, you were ever so kind to even care for her.
Well, thanks. I really don't live with daily guilt, just the occasional regret of what happened to such a beautiful animal. Put a glass or two of wine in me and the tears flow when I think of her. I just could not believe that they could do such a thing to such a friendly sweet cat. I learned my lesson. One regret is I didn't even take a picture - but I will never forget her.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

We make the best decisions we can at the time, and you
tried to do what you felt was best for her. No fault to you.
You kept her from a slow death of starving, the pain of a
car crushing her, or a predator catching her. And she knew
love. Beyond that, the world is pretty much beyond our
control.

I had a cat dumped on me. I agreed to keep her and her
kittens while this woman went out of town for the week.
She never came back, of course, just left a message where
I worked telling me to take them to the pound. I placed
the kittens, but couldn't place mom and at the time could
not afford to have her fixed. So, off to the "humane"
society we went. She was a lovely, affectionate Persian
cross, and I was sure she'd have no trouble finding a home.
However, the next day they discovered a virus of some sort
in their cat house and euthanized everyone.

To make it worse, there was a tiny little old lady in the lobby,
waiting with another older woman. She turned out to be the
head of an organization that got older cats for local seniors
at a discount. She lit into me, telling me how horrible I was
to turn that cat over to them. I said that I'd give her the
cat, but she had waited to launch her attack until after I
had signed the papers, and the pound refused to give the
cat back. I left in tears. I learned the lesson that you
did that day -- don't go to the pound for help.

Old 01-06-2013, 03:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Reading everyones experiences reinforce my view that the general public believes shelters and animal control do not kill animals and are ignorant of 4.5 million cats & dogs that never make it out of shelters but are going to the gas chambers every year. They wouldnt donate to those organizations if they were aware of the true facts. Ive had hundreds of conversations with people about this subject. They are stunned to find out.

I started to play the Utube for my SO of Fiona that Ive posted in the lounge. He kept looking away and wanting me to turn it off. He was visibly upset. ( he is a mans man. Youd never want to mess with him but he has a marshmellow heart) I kept saying but it has a happy ending, really it has a happy ending. When the video was over he told me it breaks his heart knowing there are dogs and cats out there in that condition. He wants to not know. But he understands why I do what I do in rescue.

This is what I know for sure. Im sure there are millions in this country that are proactive and willing to take on a stray or adopt from a shelter. They just need good information and moral support while attempting to do it. That is one reason I like Cat Forum because so many compassionate, knowledgeable, kindred spirits post here.

~Merry~

With my eyes, they will be seen...With my voice, they will be heard....
With my hands, they will know comfort...With my action, they will be free...
~TNR and Rescue changes lives of animals.~

When the angels are busy God sends rescuers
Old 01-06-2013, 04:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I had the same reaction from my husband. He would not watch it because it is sad, even though I told him it had a very a happy ending. He cannot understand why I sit and watch Animal Cops Detroit (or Houston, Phoenix, etc.) and cry like a baby! He thinks it is self torture. Maybe it is.
Now that our foster kitty is back home where she belongs, I am looking for another life to save. I will look for an old cat that needs me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread