Bach Flower Remedies and Socializing Feral Kittens - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2013, 03:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat

Default Bach Flower Remedies and Socializing Feral Kittens

Hello,

I am on my sixth foster kitten now. Just recently got my last foster adopted at the animal shelter this past month. This is my 2nd feral kitten I am working on at home.

Like my other half feral foster, this one is going take several weeks to a month (give or take) work and positive reinforcement. This is week 2 with him at home. At first I had to use a animal handling glove to even get with several inches of the kitten (it would have been impossible to pick him up otherwise in the beginning). Just recently he has permitted just a little petting and handling. He still hisses at me, runs etc if I get too close or do too much petting in one session. The good thing is he isn't hiding all the time now, I found him sleeping on my computer chair this morning.

He came in when his mom died and he was extremely hypothermic and close to death. I have found many half feral kittens a home with weeks of work at the shelter... in some occasions up to several months of work, so I know how to go slow and adjust him to new things with the help of feliway and behavior modification (toys, scratchers, incentives). Still with all this, I am wondering if this particular kitten will adjust enough to be adopted.

I am wondering if any of you have ever tried bach flower remedies to help transition any cats or kittens into a new environment that were stressed/wild etc... and if it was successful. And if so, how long does one bottle - such as the rescue remedy last and how often should it be administered to achieve maximum effect?

Thank you much...
Zach

Last edited by Zachariah Atteberry; 01-20-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Zachariah Atteberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2013, 04:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I used once bach drops for one of my cats. I found her outdoors, but she must have been lost or dumped because she wasn't feral. when i brought her home she was ok but became terrified of my two resident cats i had already. she was terrified to the point she would not leave the carrier for weeks (sic!). she would just spend her days in it. wouldn't come out for food or to litter box. we gave her bach drops and it seemed to help together with moving her to new home (my mom's) so she was the only pet there. but dont know to what extent bach drops would help alone.
I would give them a try though! good luck!
Old 02-03-2013, 01:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat

good news! With the help of "feral cat rehabilitation" remedy my feral kitten has been a lot more calm during socialization and playtime. Using play therapy has been a lot more successful as well. I am taking home 2 more ferals this month to socialize and I have used it on them some too and I see the difference right away! I usually add it to their canned food or drinking water so they don't bite me if it is in the beginning stages of socialization.

I am so happy I have found an extra tool to help me save more feral kittens' lives .
Old 02-03-2013, 02:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Feel Bach! flower remedies for pets

I have never heard of this before, so was interested enough to cut and paste the name into Google. Sounds interesting. I would be interested to see what others that have used it think of it. I have used Calms Forte to relieve stress and calm my neurotic half feral cat, Maggie when she was compulsively licking her fur off down to a nub.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat

Default Thank you!

Thank you for passing that on. The price is a lot more affordable than the one I bought for $30. And the shipping cost less too! I am ordering 2 for the shelter use and see how it goes.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I'm glad it worked for you. I tried it a few years ago to calm my extremely skittish cat, and it didn't seem to help at all. But of course just being timid by nature isn't the same issue as being unsocialized. I hope you continue to have good luck with these products and to be able to get these kitties adopted!
spirite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Zach I really like the Spirit Essence product too. You can apply it directly to the skin on the cat, for Cats

Its so wonderful you are working with the feral kittens! keep up the good work!

Have you watched the 3 Utube videos on socializing feral kitten in the stickies? I found lots of good ideas in there

Tough Love: Socializing Feral Kittens (Part 1 of 3) - YouTube

~Merry~

With my eyes, they will be seen...With my voice, they will be heard....
With my hands, they will know comfort...With my action, they will be free...
~TNR and Rescue changes lives of animals.~

When the angels are busy God sends rescuers
Mitts & Tess is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement