Cat Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Homing ferals?

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  DustyDreamer 
#1 ·
I know it's not always practical, but when it's POSSIBLE...

I know someone who has done it. He's adopted several ferals, and some have become indoor cats. The secret he says, is to ignore feeding ferals, then to gradually mingle with the group, gain their trust. Eventually they overcome their aversion to humans.

Of course he lives on a FARM, is very patient, and maybe a little eccentric...

#3 ·
I think some depends on the age and temperament of the feral cat in question. Kittens can be tamed more easily than adults, but I know a woman here who has made ferals into indoor only house pets. I'm impressed, for my feral is very skittish, even after years of patient work.

#7 ·
I have a cat which most would of considered being feral because he would not let me near him the first two years. I had to put his food, daily, under my sisters hedge. Once I had TNRed him he settled down and slowly stuck around and expressed an interest in the indoor cats.

It took us 4 years of patient work to get him socialized. I've now inherited him from my sister and he is the most balanced cat in my home and sleeps on our bed every night and is a big cuddler. I do know he must of been someones cat at one time but reverted to feral behavior just to survive and was not treated well by mean humans in the neighbor.

There is always hope a cat will come around but it takes a lot of work to accomplish that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.