Cat Forum banner

My cat breastfeeding a stray tomcat?

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  hoofmaiden 
#1 ·
My outdoors cat has just stopped breastfeeding her 2-months-old kittens. A tomcat came to her territory and she gets along with him. I wanted to get her spayed because I can't get rid of that tomcat (I take him away, he comes back). The vet told us that she still has some milk and that it would be best to wait until the milk is gone before we spay her, so I continued "battling" the tomcat.

Today, however, my neighbours called me and told me to take a look at my cat. Imagine my surprise when I saw the tomcat suckling my cat! 8O He is an adult tomcat and she had just stopped breastfeeding her kittens. Perhaps the poor tomcat came for milk and not for sex. It's sick and amusing at the same time! :eek:

Why does she breastfeed him? She refused to breastfeed some orphan kittens, but she is breastfeeding an adult tomcat. Why?

#2 ·
I don't know. But there WILL be another litter if you don't get her spayed immediately. Can you bring her in until the surgery can be done?

#3 ·
My father is allergic to cats, so I would have to kick him out before letting her in :| The tomcat hasn't tried to do anything yet and there are no other tomcats around her, so suckling might be his only intention.

She got pregnant for the second time while she was still breastfeeding a kitten from her first litter and there were three tomcats around her, mounting her non-stop. Now, there is only one tomcat and all he does is running around until she lies down and when she does, he suckles :eek: Tomcats were faster then the vet few months ago; I hope they won't be faster this time.

#4 ·
The tomcat isn't doing anything right now because she's not in heat, but the minute she goes into season he will be all over her. Since this is your cat, you have responsibility to prevent this. It's up to you to get her to the vet before it happens again. In addition to overpopulation of kittens in the world, your cat is at higher risk of all kinds of medical issues...reproductive cancers, pyometra, pregnancy complications, complications from successive pregnancies too close together etc. Her kittens are 8 weeks old, there is no reason not to spay her immediately.

BTW, did you find homes for the kittens?

#5 ·
She is not actually my cat; she is a stray that my family feeds and takes to the vet when she is sick. I am aware of all the benefits of spaying, but there is not much I can do; I can't put her indoors because I have no where to put her and I can't have her spayed until the milk is gone (if I understood the vet correctly). However, I am aware of the negative side of spaying. I live in a country where veterinary medicine is undeveloped and where most of the veterinarians are unprofessional; my aunt's cat died because the vet that spayed her while she was pregnant did a really bad job.

I believe she was in heat, as she was meowing really loud, but I don't think she mated (nobody saw her).

Here are more information about "my" cat: http://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=60689&p=612987#p612987.

A friend of my father promised to take a kitten or two before they were born, but changed his mind before they stopped suckling. The cutest kitten (a blue-white-orange calico) found a home all by herself; she was taken by someone while we were away. The remaining three are either sickly (two tabbies that survived cat flu) or plain-looking (a tortoiseshell, my favourite). Their mother has better chances to be adopted than they do.

#6 ·
If she's already been in heat, then she's very likely already pregnant. She outside all the time...you have no idea what she's doing 24 hours a day. The milk does not need to be gone in order for her to be spayed. It will dry up after the spaying that's why the would not want to spay her until the kittens are weaned.

So there's also a bunch of kittens that now need to be spayed or neutered too. They need their surgery before 6 months old or they will be breeding as well. This is a never ending battle if you don't take the first step.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.