Ham & Corned Beef? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2009, 03:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat

Default Ham & Corned Beef?

I have placed an ad on Craigslist (thanks hoofmaiden!) looking for meat that folks no longer want and someone emailed saying they have boneless chicken breasts, ground beef, steak, ham & corned beef they don't want.

However, I don't think Ham or Corned Beef is acceptable to feed because they are most likely enhanced/seasoned/processed, right?

If someone could answer this for me so I know for sure, I'd certainly appreciate it. Thank you!
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2009, 03:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Default Re: Ham & Corned Beef?

You are correct. Stay away from meats that have been seasoned, brined, or pre-cooked. Everything else is fair game.

Laurie
laurief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurief
You are correct. Stay away from meats that have been seasoned, brined, or pre-cooked. Everything else is fair game.

Laurie
THANK YOU! I really appreciate your help!
Old 10-12-2009, 03:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Yeah, an unfortunate side-effect of free meat scoring is having to toss some stuff. I got an email from someone last week -- told her nothing cooked or seasoned. She said, oh no -- they NEVER season their meat and it's all uncooked.

I did get a lot of good stuff, but also got: pulled pork, bacon, and salami! <sigh> All went in a trash bag for the dump. I generally try not to pick the stuff over when I'm picking it up -- I take what they give me (b/c you never know--they might have more later and you don't want to tick them off!), and then just toss it later.
hoofmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I'm with you, Elizabeth. I let them know over the phone what I can and can't use, but once I get to their house or the pickup point, I take whatever they offer me and do the sorting at home.

OK, I gotta ask. What is "pulled pork"?
Old 10-12-2009, 04:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurief
OK, I gotta ask. What is "pulled pork"?
Well, I'm vegan so I don't eat the stuff. But it is basically cooked pork that is then pulled off the bone in thin strips and put in sandwiches. Nasty in the extreme!
Old 10-12-2009, 04:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Occasionally I can't tell WHAT it is until I thaw it. This a.m. the dogs got some seasoned ham b/c I'd thawed it (along w/ some grass-fed beef) and there wasn't anything else to eat! I wouldn't give it to them regularly, but occasionally won't hurt -- the dogs, at least. The cats I woudn't give it to regardless.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I'm with you on that, too. I'm primarily vegetarian, though I do still eat a little seafood, so this whole raw meat thing has been a real education for me. I spent a lot of time on the phone with grocery store meat depts having them teach me the basics of different cuts, but the REAL education came from gathering leftovers from local farm butchers. I don't think I'll ever forget chasing my first, freshly harvested, whole beef liver around my cutting board with a dull knife, or trying to figure out what the heck to do with a beef lung and trachea. And my vet thought I'd lost my mind when I called him nearly hyperventilating with excitement when I cleaned my first deer stomach. LOL! I just couldn't BELIEVE what the inside of that stomach looked like! I never took basic biology in school because I refused to dissect an animal, so this has all been new for me. It's also been unexpectedly fascinating. I thought raw feeding would be impossibly repugnant for me, but it's been quite the opposite. It hasn't changed how I feel about eating meat myself, but I can't deny that it is as satisfying a sound listening to one of my carnivores crunching bones as it is listening to the horses munching hay.

As far as "mystery meat" is concerned, last fall a guy cleaned out two large chest freezers, and I ended up with over 300# of assorted "stuff", much of which was unidentified. He was obviously an avid hunter, so I ended up with a lot of venison and both water and upland birds of all descriptions. I had no idea what I was feeding most days, so I'd end up calling friends and neighbors to see if they could identify the "meat source" from my descriptions. Didn't bother my animals any, though. I'd give them "mystery meat" and "mystery edible bone", and they'd be happy little carnivores.

Laurie
Old 10-13-2009, 10:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Yeah, sometimes I'm not sure, either. The good news is that (other than liver/kidney) raw meat doesn't smell much at all -- so if it IS smelly, I know it's smoked/cooked/seasoned and I can toss it. Usually if I have ANY doubts before thawing I thaw something else, too, so in case it turns out to be a no go it's no big deal. But my 2 younger dogs have iron tums and the occasional bit of ham won't kill them.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoofmaiden
Yeah, an unfortunate side-effect of free meat scoring is having to toss some stuff.....I generally try not to pick the stuff over when I'm picking it up -- I take what they give me (b/c you never know--they might have more later and you don't want to tick them off!), and then just toss it later.
Thanks--that's an excellent point!
Advertisement