FeLV+, FIV cats and raw? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2009, 09:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Default FeLV+, FIV cats and raw?

Because FeLV+ and FIV cats are very prone to problems with their teeth I have been thinking about giving them some raw. From reading posts here I have heard that chicken necks are supposed to clean their teeth? Unfortunately I have also heard that FeLV+ and FIV+ cats could be more susceptible to any disease the raw meat would be carrying. Does anyone know how much of that is true and how much is myth?
Also do you just go to the grocery store and buy chicken necks?

katlover13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2009, 11:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Default Re: FeLV+, FIV cats and raw?

Toby eats raw and has had no ill effects so far. Its possible that he is more vulnerable to nasties in the meat that FIV- cats could fight off .. but you know, there are nasties everywhere that he is exposed to that FIV- cats aren't so vulnerable to, so what the heck. If I stopped Toby doing things because I thought he would be more likely to get something nasty compared to FIV- cats, he wouldnt be allowed to do anything other than eat and sleep.

Oh wait. That is all he does anyway ....

Tobys fur is so glossy and silky since he started on the raw - I would definitely recommend it. Most vets would pale at the thought of course but I've never taken a vets word for it when it comes to nutrition.

Allie and Ridley

Toby - waiting at the rainbow bridge (2002-2011)
melysion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

This topic comes up a lot on the rawcat and rawfeeding yahoo groups, and the answer generally seems to be this: eating raw is so much better for cats that the benefits of doing so--esp. in terms of boosting the immune system--far outweigh any risks for FIV/FeLV+ cats. There are MANY rawfeeders w/ + cats (like melysion) who have happy, healthy cats.

As with all these things, it's your decision and you should make it carefully. But if it were ME I would do it in a heartbeat.
hoofmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 02:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Thank you for your answers. I think I may look into joining those Yahoo groups, also. It seems rather scary to think about getting into feeding raw, but I bet it's one of those things that once you start you can look back on and think "What was I so worried about?"

Old 11-12-2009, 10:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Feeding a species-appropriate raw diet is possibly the greatest gift an owner can give to a cat - it's awesome that you're looking into it, Katlover13!

Keep in mind, though, while ripping, tearing and slicing into meat, tendons and bones is very beneficial for dental health, it can't (and won't) undo any damage already done, clean plaque or remove tartar already present. Your kitty might still need a cleaning at some point.
Auntie Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 08:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy
Keep in mind, though, while ripping, tearing and slicing into meat, tendons and bones is very beneficial for dental health, it can't (and won't) undo any damage already done, clean plaque or remove tartar already present. Your kitty might still need a cleaning at some point.
Do you know if cats that have already had several extractions can deal with it?
Ray lost many of his teeth in July and Tweezer just had nine come out. Casper had five out in the spring.

Old 11-13-2009, 09:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlover13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy
Do you know if cats that have already had several extractions can deal with it?
Ray lost many of his teeth in July and Tweezer just had nine come out. Casper had five out in the spring.
Oh, poor guys!

I read all the time that cats without teeth handle raw ok, but I don't have any in that situation. If they're already missing teeth, you may want to do a roughly ground kind of diet. It'll still have chunks and pieces that need to be cut down, but won't be as difficult as whole prey/frankenprey diets.
Auntie Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Cat

On the track of having teeth already taken out and handling raw:

I have 5 cats and a chihuahua. Hands down my cats have ALWAYS handled their meat better (easier to chew/etc). My 5lb chi had 9 teeth removed earlier this year, and STILL does to town on the same size/shape/thickness of food she did before. I have a feeling, once your cats jaws get used to the motions and get strengthened - they'd have no problems at all.

Incase you want to try with your whole crew - start mixing tiny amts of ground beef/turkey/chicken in with their canned for meals. Slowly (every two weeks) increase the amt of ground (using your slowest to transition as your guide for speed) and one day, they'll all be eating ground only! Then you can move to chunks! (P.S. Try and find a ground that has bone/organ in it once they're just eating ground and not wet)
Old 11-13-2009, 10:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

A surprising number of people who have dogs/cats with very few teeth left feed raw w/out a problem. You can always cut the pieces up smaller if necessary, but give it a try first. And only a few extractions aren't going to make ANY difference at all.
hoofmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement