Feeding once a day, is it OK? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2010, 10:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Default Feeding once a day, is it OK?

Lately I've been very busy and I've come to the conclusion that either I feed canned food or feed my cats a raw diet once a day. Sure, there will be more days out of the week where they'll be getting their raw meals twice a day but whenever I'm having a busy day, I can't manage to feed them more than once, with all the cleaning, disinfecting, washing dishes, thawing, etc. it just takes too much time on a busy day. This is OK right? I don't want to starve them Each meal will consist of 3-4 oz of meat and my cats CAN consume that much meat in one sitting. They are 1 yr old cats who are CONSTANTLY hungry but I am sure they will survive.

Also, do you guys disinfect their eating plates with diluted bleach? I have been washing the counters, the floors and even their plates with diluted bleach. Right after they eat.
catlady2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2010, 11:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I wouldn't only feed once a day but you can try it and see how they do. If they start throwing up bile or act hungry a lot then I'd say you can't do only one meal.

I do not disinfect with bleach, I just wash dishes with soap and water and if the food got on the floor I do the same. It's the same thing my parents do to the counter after they make dinner and have to cut or prepare the raw meat before cooking.

Thawing shouldn't take long either, just toss a baggie with the meal into the fridge after feeding the previous meal and then take it out at feeding time and dump it onto a clean dish.
~Siameseifuplz~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

Have you thought of using paper/plastic plates to save yourself some time? I realize it creates garbage but then again, you also use less cleaning means.
SigmaWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I feed the farm cats once a day but for most of them that is what they have known ever since they were weaned from their mom. They are hungry every night at 7pm or after...if I try feed at 6pm they aren't very hungry yet. It is just what they are used too.
furryfriends251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

When i was feeding Beltira and Belkira they could finish a 13.5 ounce can of wet food in one sitting!

that's how hungry cats can get if you feed them only once a day.
"And cried he out one last time as he beheld that jewel which he had named Cthrag-Yaska and which had caused him to be smitten again, and then, as a tree hewn away at the ground, the Dark God fell, and the earth resounded with his fall." - Battle of Vo Mimbre, by the Arendish bard, Davoul the Lame
Belgarath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I've always fed my cats twice a day and think it's better for them. If time is a constraint feed when you get up in the morning and right before you go to bed. Also, I wash their plates with dish detergent and water--no bleach.
catloverami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigmaWhisky View Post
Have you thought of using paper/plastic plates to save yourself some time? I realize it creates garbage but then again, you also use less cleaning means.
How did I not think of that? Thank you so much for the great idea!

I guess I'll just feed as soon as I wake up and whenever I come back from work, at night.

Last edited by catlady2010; 07-13-2010 at 07:19 PM.
catlady2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I fed my cats once a day for years, but then i got a habitual puker and she does better with more meals. So of course everyone else wants to get fed when she's getting fed....
Old 07-24-2010, 09:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I feed mine 3 times a day.

Puddles, f (s) Blue Cream Himalayan 13 yrs
Jasper, m (n) Blue Pt Ragdoll/Ragdoll cross 8-9 yrs
Sweet Pea, f (s) silver tabby/calico 5-6 yrs
Rose semi feral, f (s) brown tabby 3 yrs
love4himies is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement