Omega 3 supplements - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2010, 12:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Default Omega 3 supplements

I was giving my cats sardines so that they can get their omega 3's but sardines are so smelly and gross, it's unbearable. So I'm planning on just throwing in some supplements with eggs once a week. My question is, where do you guys get your supplements? I can't order any online right now but it would be great if you guys can recommend something from Whole Foods Market or Walmart. I have these Nature Made fish oil supplements http://www.thenaturalhealthshoppe.co...fish%20oil.jpg. They come from sardines and anchovies. Are these OK? It's 1200 mg so do I just give each cat one capsule mixed in with an egg per week? I mix it in with an egg because that's the only way I can get them to take it.
catlady2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2010, 09:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I get mine from my pet food shop. They come in gel caps that I just poke and squeeze onto their food. (Urban Wolf brand)

Puddles, f (s) Blue Cream Himalayan 13 yrs
Jasper, m (n) Blue Pt Ragdoll/Ragdoll cross 8-9 yrs
Sweet Pea, f (s) silver tabby/calico 5-6 yrs
Rose semi feral, f (s) brown tabby 3 yrs
love4himies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by love4himies View Post
I get mine from my pet food shop. They come in gel caps that I just poke and squeeze onto their food. (Urban Wolf brand)
love4himies, do you mind looking at how much IU or mg is there in one of the gel caps you use? how often does it say to give it?
i use the 'human' ones and am pretty sure one capsule would be a tad much. i was wondering dosing for cats.
thank u soooo much!
Old 07-24-2010, 10:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by madie View Post
love4himies, do you mind looking at how much IU or mg is there in one of the gel caps you use? how often does it say to give it?
i use the 'human' ones and am pretty sure one capsule would be a tad much. i was wondering dosing for cats.
thank u soooo much!
They are 1000mg each. Up to 8 lbs, it is one cap every 3 days. I add one cap every second day to my cats' food. My Rose gets about half of it in her raw as she gets dandruff if she doesn't get her omega's.

Puddles, f (s) Blue Cream Himalayan 13 yrs
Jasper, m (n) Blue Pt Ragdoll/Ragdoll cross 8-9 yrs
Sweet Pea, f (s) silver tabby/calico 5-6 yrs
Rose semi feral, f (s) brown tabby 3 yrs
love4himies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by love4himies View Post
They are 1000mg each. Up to 8 lbs, it is one cap every 3 days. I add one cap every second day to my cats' food. My Rose gets about half of it in her raw as she gets dandruff if she doesn't get her omega's.

thank u so much!
giving mocha those omega 3's are actually helping me ALOT. i am very allergic to cats....when i first got mocha i was in agony for the first 2 weeks with nonstop sneezing, runny nose and red eyes. i was this close to giving her back to the owner....until himikitty (a wonderful forum member here) told me about omega 3 helping with allergies.

i gave one human pill every 2 days and within a week, i can say it pretty much cured me.
amazing stuff. i havent given her any for 2 weeks now (cant give her any since she is ill now...wont even eat) but i am still doing well. i get some stuffy nose, etc from time to time but it is b/c i havent been consistent in giving her the pills. i was afraid i might overdose her.

now that i know the dosing, i can watch how much i give her. thank u so much again
Old 07-25-2010, 12:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Do you think one 1200 mg human pill once a week is too much?
catlady2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement