Omega 3 supplements - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Omega 3 supplements

I was giving my cats sardines so that they can get their omega 3's but sardines are so smelly and gross, it's unbearable. So I'm planning on just throwing in some supplements with eggs once a week. My question is, where do you guys get your supplements? I can't order any online right now but it would be great if you guys can recommend something from Whole Foods Market or Walmart. I have these Nature Made fish oil supplements http://www.thenaturalhealthshoppe.co...fish%20oil.jpg. They come from sardines and anchovies. Are these OK? It's 1200 mg so do I just give each cat one capsule mixed in with an egg per week? I mix it in with an egg because that's the only way I can get them to take it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 10:59 PM
Kitten

I get mine from my pet food shop. They come in gel caps that I just poke and squeeze onto their food. (Urban Wolf brand)

Cat maid to:

Puddles, f (s) Blue Cream Himalayan 13 yrs
Jasper, m (n) Blue Pt Ragdoll/Ragdoll cross 8-9 yrs
Sweet Pea, f (s) silver tabby/calico 5-6 yrs
Rose semi feral, f (s) brown tabby 3 yrs
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 11:15 PM
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by love4himies View Post
I get mine from my pet food shop. They come in gel caps that I just poke and squeeze onto their food. (Urban Wolf brand)
love4himies, do you mind looking at how much IU or mg is there in one of the gel caps you use? how often does it say to give it?
i use the 'human' ones and am pretty sure one capsule would be a tad much. i was wondering dosing for cats.
thank u soooo much!
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 11:19 PM
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by madie View Post
love4himies, do you mind looking at how much IU or mg is there in one of the gel caps you use? how often does it say to give it?
i use the 'human' ones and am pretty sure one capsule would be a tad much. i was wondering dosing for cats.
thank u soooo much!
They are 1000mg each. Up to 8 lbs, it is one cap every 3 days. I add one cap every second day to my cats' food. My Rose gets about half of it in her raw as she gets dandruff if she doesn't get her omega's.

Cat maid to:

Puddles, f (s) Blue Cream Himalayan 13 yrs
Jasper, m (n) Blue Pt Ragdoll/Ragdoll cross 8-9 yrs
Sweet Pea, f (s) silver tabby/calico 5-6 yrs
Rose semi feral, f (s) brown tabby 3 yrs
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 01:39 AM
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by love4himies View Post
They are 1000mg each. Up to 8 lbs, it is one cap every 3 days. I add one cap every second day to my cats' food. My Rose gets about half of it in her raw as she gets dandruff if she doesn't get her omega's.

thank u so much!
giving mocha those omega 3's are actually helping me ALOT. i am very allergic to cats....when i first got mocha i was in agony for the first 2 weeks with nonstop sneezing, runny nose and red eyes. i was this close to giving her back to the owner....until himikitty (a wonderful forum member here) told me about omega 3 helping with allergies.

i gave one human pill every 2 days and within a week, i can say it pretty much cured me.
amazing stuff. i havent given her any for 2 weeks now (cant give her any since she is ill now...wont even eat) but i am still doing well. i get some stuffy nose, etc from time to time but it is b/c i havent been consistent in giving her the pills. i was afraid i might overdose her.

now that i know the dosing, i can watch how much i give her. thank u so much again
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Do you think one 1200 mg human pill once a week is too much?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page