What do I do when my cat wont eat raw meat? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2010, 08:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default What do I do when my cat wont eat raw meat?

My cat, a himalayan, is a very picky eater. She will not eat meat, fish, canned food. The only thing she eats is some cooked tuna, and Royal Canin persian. She will actually go without food when I try to feed her anything else. She will lose weight. I'm at a total loss here.. I have heard so much bad stuff about kibblediets, and I am genuinly scared for her health in the long run.

When I got her, she couldn't eat solid food, because she was basically ignored because she wasn't "perfect" enough for the breeder to pay any attention to. So I started feeding her up on kittymilk and canned kittydiet. After that I tried with raw meat, chicken legs and stuff like that, but she wasn't interested. I tried several types of kibble, but the only thing she will eat is the persian stuff. I swear, it's as if she knows she's a purebred, and wants nothing else than what's made for her.. The little picky monkey!

Anyways, do you have any tips on what I can do to make her start wanting meat? I've tried switching slowly, but then she'll eat the kibble, leaving the rest. I've tried prosessing it, so it's not a big, boney scary mass, but more like mince with boney bits, I'm tried actual mince with bonemeel. What do I do? I so want the best for her, but she refuses to accept it!
FamHolter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2010, 09:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

That's a tough one. My two Devon Rexes won't eat raw meat either. I've tried but like your Pumpkin refuse to eat it and will go hungry rather than eat it. In fact they don't even like cooked meat very much, but they do like salmon. I buy them the best quality food I can afford. They get canned food (Wellness), , and a little high protein grain-free kibble (Evo). So far they're doing well on it.
catloverami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 07:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamHolter View Post
My cat, a himalayan, is a very picky eater. She will not eat meat, fish, canned food. The only thing she eats is some cooked tuna, and Royal Canin persian. She will actually go without food when I try to feed her anything else. She will lose weight. I'm at a total loss here.. I have heard so much bad stuff about kibblediets, and I am genuinly scared for her health in the long run.

Anyways, do you have any tips on what I can do to make her start wanting meat? I've tried switching slowly, but then she'll eat the kibble, leaving the rest. I've tried prosessing it, so it's not a big, boney scary mass, but more like mince with boney bits, I'm tried actual mince with bonemeel. What do I do? I so want the best for her, but she refuses to accept it!
You can start by adding just the tiniest bit of canned food in to her kibble. I mean, small, small amount. Feed her a tiny bit less kibble and mix that canned food in with it, just a part of it.

For example, take a tablespoon of kibble, take a half tablespoon of canned, mix that together. Then put it in a bowl and put unblemished kibble all around it and a bit on top. What you are trying to do is get her to "accidentally" eat the canned.

Keep doing this, don't give up if she doesn't do it the first, second or third time. Keep doing it.

In time, you may find she will eat that small amount of mixture. When she does, keep adding that amount of mixture for awhile until she's used to it. Then up the amount, very, very slowly.

Eventually you want to get her to eat all canned food.

Once she is happily eating all canned food, start adding the tiniest, I mean minuscule amounts of raw meat mixed in to the can. Like, one bite size, or even smaller, of a piece of raw chicken.

Repeat process as you did with dried to canned. Eventually make that piece larger. Then you can start adding more, very, very slowly.

Work your way up to full on raw. It can take some time...it can take a long time but if you persist and do not give up, you can do it.

Also, if she has kibble out all day long, stop that right now. Feed her two or three times a day and take that bowl away after about 15 minutes. That way she won't have kibble to eat on all day long. That is probably the most important step in the transition.
SerenityFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 08:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

From what I have read, a pate diet is more popular in general.

Go on Amazon.com and pick up some Fortiflora. It is like cat crack, and is apparently delicious. You can make it further enticing by a very light sprinkle of powdered parmesan cheese on top for aroma. A midgrade wet food that is very tasty is Natural Balance Complete Care chicken.

Amazon Amazon

And its unlikely your cat would actually starve, so its ok if she gets a bit hungry.

Nephew for example wouldn't take the bottle. First mother was too afraid to withhold food, but finally gave in to my suggestion to just starve him for a day. Sure enough, broke his willpower and bottle it was.
Ducman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 08:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

BTW, if it gets REALLY bad, you can also forcefeed wet with minimal stress.

Just put it on your finger (another benefit of the loaf style pate), pop open the mouth with your thumb, flop it in there real quick, and boom you're done. You can even make an airplane noise like you would to a baby which seems to confuse em, heh. If kitty is being extra "special" you can even "nomnomnom" chew for her real quick until she gets the idea that this food tastes good and is not actually poison.

Personally, I see no harm in a good wet and dry food combination and its easy and practical, but I would at least get that down pat before worrying about raw.
Ducman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 08:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Cat

She sounds like my Clover! Clover was horrible to switch over but in the end it was so worth while.

Here is her story which I wrote a while ago:

Clover had been fed all dry food – mainly Purina – her whole life. I rescued her when she was about four years old and she was underweight. You could feel her backbone and ribs no matter how much quality food I tried to feed her. Getting her onto wet food was a challenge in itself. She hated wet food. Detested it. She’d eat dry food (yuck!) just fine but would not touch wet food. She is a very stubborn cat but I even more so when it came to getting her to eat something good for her. It got to the point that I was syringe feeding her a three ounce can of wet food a day and I let her eat a tiny portion of dry on her own. After a few weeks of my syringe feeding her wet food she decided that the stuff wasn’t so bad after all! In fact it tasted pretty good. Once she was happily eating wet food (and on her own!) I took away her dry. But she still wasn’t gaining weight even with getting twice the amount of wet food as all the other cats. By that time I had everyone eating a raw diet and wanted her to switch over as well.

The problem was that she would not touch, look at, or sniff the raw food. I tried all different kinds of raw meat – chicken, beef, pork, turkey, beef heart, liver, kidney, lamb, even rabbit. But Miss Picky Pants Clover wouldn’t eat any of it; she just wanted her wet food. I don’t know how much later it was – maybe a month – but I put a ¼ of a lamb heart on her dish as well as some wet food. She devoured the lamb heart! After that day she was very happy to eat any type of raw meat I gave her! And you know what? She started to gain weight. Today she is a very muscular cat and at the perfect weight.

Here are some articles that you may find helpful about switching over:

Practical Guide
How to Transition Your Cat to a Raw Diet
http://catinfo.org/docs/Tips%20for%2...2012-18-09.pdf
furryfriends251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 11:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premier Cat

My cats aren't on a raw diet, but I had a difficult time switching them from dry food to wet foor. I finally succeeded after following the advice in the article posted by furryfriends (the third link). Perhaps you can use the same method to switch your cat from dry to raw. Alternatively, if you can transition your cat from dry to wet first, then it might be easier to subsequently switch her from wet to raw.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Ok, thank you guys so much, I'll try the tini tiny amount route then, and see how she does.

The weird thing is she wont eat other kinds of kibble either. If I mix other types of kibble inn with the persian food(as I have later heard that it's about as bad as it gets for your cat, causing all sorts of evil), she spits it out, leaving kibble all over the floor! XD But then again, persians/himmys are known for their quirckyness.. So I guess she's jsut being a lovely, quirky little cat =p
FamHolter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement