My cat's occasional diarrhea - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2011, 11:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default My cat's occasional diarrhea

I have two cats. The younger one is nine month old kitten, 12 lb male. He is a voracious eater.

When I was feeding him dry+can food combination (all grain free), he always had stinky soft stool and occasional diarrhea. Probiotic supplement or goat yogurt did not help.

Since I switched him over to raw completely, his stool is a lot smaller, formed and with virtually no odor. But he still has occasional diarrhea about once a week or every other week. The diarrhea does not stink as much as before.
It has been three weeks since he's been eating all raw. He is still a kitten so I give the food a little more than my older cat (1.6 yr old). He eats ~3 ounce per meal, twice a day.

I did fecal test twice and no issue was found.

What do you recommend to try out? I have no clue what triggers him the diarrhea. There is no pattern as to when he does it.
ccomaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2011, 11:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I noticed the same thing with my tummy-trouble kitten and kibble. Grain free kibble was better than the alternative, but kibble always made her poos softer. Canned was a little better, and raw has been the best of all so far.

I'm still veeery much a beginner at raw but I've spent all week pouring over info to try to learn more, so I'll offer what I know so far.

Are you doing homemade or premade raw? I read that amounts of bone vs. meat vs. organ can affect stools. If you're doing a frankenprey style of feeding, maybe try to see if his diarrhea at all correlates to days when he gets less bone or more organ? Bone makes stool firmer and organ can make it runnier.
saitenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I forgot to mention what I feed.

I give my cats, primal chicken&salmon in the morning and Feline Future premix + Turkey meat. (Feline Future is a mix of supplements that is meant to mix in with meat to complete raw food for cat.)
Once in a while, I give them lamb premade or beef premade but to be careful, I almost stopped it but still my young kitten has diarrhea.

I also give my cats snack of raw chicken thigh, gizzard, or chicken neck. I give chicken neck once or twice a week. The snack is to get them practice their jaw and clean teath.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Hmm, I'm not sure then! Hopefully one of the more experienced raw feeders can help you out.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Maybe it's the fish? Fish causes softer stool in my house, as it upsets tummies. a -LOT- of cats are allergic/sensitive to fish.. if kitty is getting it daily, I would assume this is the culprit. Try no fish first, for about 4-8 weeks and see if it continues.

Also, I would maybe up the bone stuff for their teeth to 3-4 times a week. This helps the stool stay formed too.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzby View Post
Maybe it's the fish? Fish causes softer stool in my house, as it upsets tummies. a -LOT- of cats are allergic/sensitive to fish.. if kitty is getting it daily, I would assume this is the culprit. Try no fish first, for about 4-8 weeks and see if it continues.

Also, I would maybe up the bone stuff for their teeth to 3-4 times a week. This helps the stool stay formed too.
Yeah I was wondering that too. I feed Primal and avoided the chicken and salmon because of all the fish in it, so I don't have any experience with that specifically.

It just seems odd that his diarrhea is only occasional. You'd think if it were due to something he's eating every day, it would be more consistent?

I agree that it's certainly worth trying though! There are lots of good reasons to avoid feeding fish every day. I try to limit it to once a week, if at all, for my kitties. Although I've heard just fish oil in small amounts is probably okay. Can someone confirm or deny this? I'm not 100% sure.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Ah... Fish...

Ah... Fish... That is possible.

I chose Chicken and Salmon because of my older cat would eat only food with some fishy smell in it. Opposite to my kitten, she always gives me perfect poo whatever I feed her.

I will get rid of fish from their diet and see how it goes.

Thanks!
Old 01-15-2011, 10:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Don't forget that adding a little more bone can firm up stools!

I hope cutting the fish out helps. I know fish BODY oil in small amounts daily isn't an issue, as we do that. It just seems that feeding a diet of actual fish/fish flavours is what really bugs the kiddies.

Hey, do you happen to have an ingredient list on the foods you're feeding? Maybe there is something else in there causing it?

As for the runs being every few days, rather than daily.. sensitivities can be like that. There is suddenly a build up and his body purges it.

It could still just be that he's not getting enough bone (which would make more sense if you think about the fact that they're getting a lot of meat, but only 1-2 days of bone). So every few days, maybe even the day before he gets bone?? he will have soft stool. Also SOFT stool is a normal part of a healthy raw diet (when they eat red meat, for instance, the stool is softer because the meat is rich) - it's just runs/patties that worry us! Even then, a little bone and maybe some SEB powder and they're right as rain.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Primal has bone in it already so I usually dont worry about bone contents a lot. If I feed Primal exclusively, my older cat's stool becomes too dry.

Wierd thing was that the younger one had a diarrhea after he had the chicken neck as his snack. So, I suspect the Fish now. Thanks a lot.

This is Chicken and Salmon ingrediant. It has 5% salmon in it. It might have been too much for him.

Chicken, Chicken Necks, Ground Chicken Bones, Chicken Hearts, Salmon, Chicken Livers, Organic Kale, Organic Yams, Organic Carrots, Organic Apples, Organic Broccoli, Cranberries, Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, Organic Parsley, Organic Coconut Oil, Salmon Oil, Organic Kelp, Taurine, Alfalfa, Mixed Tocopherols (source of vitamin E).
Old 01-15-2011, 07:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cat Addict

The Primal may have an adequate amount of bone in it to balance the Primal meals, but not the nightly meat-meals. Like others have already mentioned, you might want to increase bone-in meals. Don't increase the amount of bone per meal, just increase how often you offer such meals.

That is, if removing fish doesn't work.

And removing fish from a feline diet is a good idea all 'round, even if it doesn't "fix" the stool issues.

Good luck!

AC
Auntie Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement